It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ongoing Thread - CHICAGO VIOLENCE.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: vor78
a reply to: Tardacus

Per capita. There are others cities with higher per capita rates...New Orleans, Detroit, St. Louis, Baltimore...but Chicago will have the most in total. Last year, they had 762 and the homicide rate was 27.9 per 100,000, which is still 5-6 times higher than the overall rate of the country as a whole. In fact, these urban dumpster fires are so much higher than the overall rate that they're actually skewing the data upward and making the other 90% of the country look a hell of a lot worse than it really is.

Per capita, Chicago isn't that violent. Chicago is a massive city. We literally have neighborhoods with more population than some of the other cities on that list. The metro Chicago area is almost 3 million people. Detroit is like 650,000.

In truth, Chicago is a beautiful and clean city, but it is very spread out. Almost all of the violence occurs on the far southside and far west sides. Neighborhoods such as Austin on the West Side and Englewood on the South Side. These neighborhoods are about 8 to 10 miles outside of the heart of Chicago. No tourist would ever be anywhere near these areas. Chicago proper (the Chicago most people think of when you mention Chicago)

With that said, these areas on a per capita basis are extremely violent. The englewood neighborhood has like 30,000 residents and about 3 square miles (a few blocks in any direction). However, they had 85 murders and 356 wounded! A F*cking war zone. Think about that!

This skews the data for the rest of a city that has very few murders.

The reality is that the Chicago violence is concentrated in a few very impoverished, mostly black neighborhoods which represent an extremely small part of Chicago. To a lesser degree Hispanic areas. Almost all of it is gang related, both directly and indirectly.

While the violence is indeed bad, I get tired of people making it like you have Gangster Disciples and Black Disciples having shootouts in Lincoln Park or on Michigan Avenue and some random suburban white family is in danger. It really isn't the case. In 2016, there were 717 homicides. Just 41 were white/other folks. About 8%. I'd venture more 75% of those were heroin/meth addicts on the south / west sides.

Unless you are a gangbanging, a drug addict, AND frequent South and West Sides of the city, the odds of you being involved in any kind of violence in Chicago is practically ZERO.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I like the George webb material, that this violence and the secret prison in Homan square is a cover for and also for the purpose of organ harvesting.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Certainly true. Its sometimes as easy to pass judgement on these cities as a whole as some do the US as a whole or certain states as a whole, but I agree, it doesn't tell the whole story. There are good areas and bad areas, absolutely, and I have no doubt that some areas of Chicago are perfectly safe.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Absolutely impossible! Illinois, and specifically Chicago, has the most strict gun laws in the US, save for California. It's living proof that strict gun laws are effective at stemming the tide of violence. Passing even stricter laws will result in a reduction of the violence,just as past history shows. Thank goodness the legislators in Illinois and Chicago have the presence of mind and the guts to make stronger gun laws and oppose the NRA. More gun laws = a safer America. Chicago is all the proof we need!

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   

IMO, the Obama Presidential Library should have been placed downtown. It's safer there, and safer getting to that location.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

IMO, the Obama Presidential Library should have been placed downtown. It's safer there, and safer getting to that location.

I don't know why you think Jackson Park is not safe. It is beautiful park. People go to the Museum of Science and Industry and University of Chicago all the time with no problems.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

Both! Which makes this topic so sorrowful. But a good lesson in propaganda.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: carewemust

I don't know why you think Jackson Park is not safe. It is beautiful park. People go to the Museum of Science and Industry and University of Chicago all the time with no problems.

As you know, Edumakated, a few blocks can make a world of difference on the South Side. Tell me what you think of the neighborhood around 61st and Stony Island. This is where the Obama Presidential Library will be.

Source: abc7chicago.com...

On the bright side, since the library won't be completed until 2020, there's a good chance that the neighborhoods adjacent to the library will be revitalized and made safe.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   
More people killed this week (and every week) in Chicago, than were murdered in the Barcelona terrorist attack 3 days ago.
Faces of Chicago Victims: homicides.suntimes.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join