It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Night Sky Light - Steve

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I just seen this on the bbc website, i did a little googling but didnt find anything else.

A group of aurora enthusiasts have found a new type of light in the night sky and named it Steve.

Testing showed it appeared to be a hot stream of fast-flowing gas in the higher reaches of the atmosphere.

The European Space Agency (ESA) sent electric field instruments to measure it 300km (190 miles) above the surface of the Earth and found the temperature of the air was 3,000C (5,432F) hotter inside the gas stream than outside it.

I dont understand the science behind it, hopefully someone here can explain. I do, however think it looks and sounds incredible. It looks like it could easily be confused with a contrail thats been lit from the sun behind the horizon and maye many more people have seen this without actually knowing how cool it is!

The gas inside is traveling at 13,000mph!!! (+100 cool points)

Edit: more information here www.ibtimes.com...
edit on 23-4-2017 by kamatty because: (no reason given)

Eric Donovan - aurora.phys.ucalgary.ca...

edit on 23-4-2017 by kamatty because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
It is a contrail from a UFO!!!!

What else could it be?

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   
steve eh? very cool. will follow with interest s&f

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Did you ever notice that from one side of these things to the other, there is usually a difference in the sky. It happens with Rainbows too, the sky looks different on one side than the other sometimes. Same with the sun rings that form.

I wonder why that is?

Maybe it is a problem with the projector.

edit on 23-4-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: kamatty

Is it just me, or does the top side of the picture seem to attach to a significantly brighter power source... like the south end is the tail end.

I'd give anything to see the north side of that photo!!!

S+F... Thanks!

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I don't know whatchamacallit, maybe one of the tests they do with rockets in the ionosphere... or something.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
the stream or band of gas up there is not identified...

but it seems to be a heated stream pf Solar-Wind particles, but not Photons...

IT's not the regularly missing Ozone of the upper atmosphere, which was my guess before I glanced at the OP link
so... calling it 'Steve' just classifies the stuff as a 5th state of matter like Plasma is... I get it

I put my thinking-cap on....

perhaps the 15 mile wide band of hot gas material (called 'Steve') in the Aurora...
is like the compressed gasses that form the invisible Bow-Wave which the solar-system itself creates as the Solar System plows through the molecular cloud of gas surrounding us in this area of inter-stellar space

edit on rd30149298781323502017 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Looks interesting, this steve phenomena.
edit on 24-4-2017 by Shuye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 03:56 AM
link   
It's Steve!

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I highly recommend all of you to watch this video which sheds new light on the power outages that occured around the 21st/22nd of April worldwide, and this new "plasma electrification" that happened simultaneously (8:45 min mark).

Could they all be connected? Think of electric universe, grand solar minimum, increase in cosmic rays, weak earth's magnetosphere etc.? Check it out for yourself and see if it makes any sense. I know it does for me compared to other explanations I've seen around on the net.

Anyways, what a beautiful shot of our mysterious sky, fascinating stuff that I definitely will be watching closely as we move forward!

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: snchrnct

Thank you for your effort to add more to this thread, however i belive the guy in the video is unaware that this happened before the 21st and it is not belived to be something new. The first public release of this information was on the 21st, I still cant find the date if the original photo or the satellite flying through.

“It turns out that Steve is actually remarkably common, but we hadn’t noticed it before. It’s thanks to ground-based observations, satellites, today’s explosion of access to data and an army of citizen scientists joining forces to document it.

I found the original source of the publicity released information here m.esa.int...

edit on 24-4-2017 by kamatty because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: kamatty

Interesting read, thanks for sharing. Not to say I don't trust the information they are putting out about "Steve", but I always remain a bit sceptical when it comes to (press) releases from agencies such as NASA etc. Will definitely keep following this thread though to see if anything more comes to light. And if I come accross something else, I won't hesitate of course to drop it here as well!

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Did you ever notice that from one side of these things to the other, there is usually a difference in the sky. It happens with Rainbows too, the sky looks different on one side than the other sometimes. Same with the sun rings that form.

I wonder why that is?

Maybe it is a problem with the projector.

A glitch in the Matrix.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Thanks to social media and the power of citizen scientists chasing the northern lights, a new feature was discovered recently. Nobody knew what this strange ribbon of purple light was, so … it was called Steve.

phys.org - Swarm explores a new feature of the northern lights.

Social media! I suppose it could have a worse name like Boaty Mcboatface. Usually, northern lights are a single color (green, blue green, yellow) and only when they penetrate lower in the atmosphere does the color change to pinks, whites, reds, etc. A huge purple streak is kind of... different.

Most of the Steves I know are different!

To Steve...

new topics

top topics

join