It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

He walked into Denny’s, dumped gasoline on a 69-year-old stranger and lit him on fire, police say

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 12:11 AM
link   
www.miamiherald.com...

An Oregon man is in critical condition with burns to his face and body after being set on fire by a complete stranger.

Identified as Scott Ranstrom, the 69-year-old man was sitting in a booth at Denny’s in Happy Valley, Oregon, on Wednesday night when a young man police believe to be Deshaun James Swanger walked in and was seated in a booth adjacent to him, per KATU.

According to surveillance video, the man then dumped a liquid, believed to be gasoline, on Ranstrom and tossed a burning object at him. There was a large flash as Ranstrom caught fire, and the suspect ran out of the restaurant, per KATU. Read more here: www.miamiherald.com...=cpy

And another one just after I posted the last. A pattern it may become...More at the link.
edit on 23-4-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites
please post one or two paragraphs,
a link to the entire story,
AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Sun Apr 23 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Well...both of those stories were simply awful. There's just such a kettle of hatred boiling now, I'm left speechless. And what's up with attacking old people?! That pisses me off. Don't get me wrong, it would be equally evil no matter what innocent person was set on fire by this demonic person, but there's something even moreso cowardly to me when the person's level of defenselessness increases by age (either old or young). It makes me think of Steve Stephens in Cleveland. He wanted to shoot someone so he picked a 74 year old man? On Easter? Ugggg....

I think that the frightening thing about this is that this truly is terrorism, by definition. Most acts of violence are not random. Typically by the time someone reaches murderous intent, there's purpose behind it. Either methodical planning for some personally selfish agenda (the killing of a spouse, robbery, etc) or a moment of rage, but random is more rare. I think that's what is so frightening about these senseless acts that we're encountering now...they're purposefully random. The last thing on that poor gentleman's mind when he went to go have a cup of coffee and some eggs at Denny's was that some hate filled man was going to come in and set him on fire, and if that frightens you it's because deep down you realize...that could have been me.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Crazie daze.

Someone should do the same thing to the sick son of a bitch!

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Moral of the story, choose iHop.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 02:12 AM
link   
What a absolute degenerate POS,

Sadly from experience I have come across a lot of youths and young men that have a major chip on their shoulder and a attitude that they can get away with anything. No doubt he comes from a broken home and feels the world is against him, the sad reality is these acts where probably a cry for attention which is pathetic..

I bet his boyz thought he was da man....

RA

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 02:26 AM
link   
WTF is the matter with people?!?!?! This was obviously pre-meditated. The guy had gasoline and a lighting instrument on him. The victim's two sisters have set up a gofundme account.

Wednesday night a stranger came in, threw gas on him and lit him on fire, he is now at the burn center in North Portland.
www.gofundme.com...

Scott Ranstrom, victim

DeShaun Swanger, accused
edit on 23-4-2017 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

I'd guess a lot of his boyz think nothing of the sort. Not everyone is a sick son of a bitch who should hang after a fair trial...

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Before I saw the pictures of the victim and the suspect I made a bet with myself. I won it.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: jafo1973

Someone should do the same thing to the sick son of a bitch!

The more I hear of senseless and brutal crimes like this, the more I'm inclined to think the same. Putting this worthless piece of a crap in prison for the rest of his life is not enough punishment when you compare the disfigurement, mental and physical pain his victim has to go through for the rest of his life. Why should our tax dollars go toward keeping this guy alive????

Protection from cruel and unusual punishment should apply to the victim not the criminal!! Criminals get more rights than their victims. Their shouldn't be any second guess in condemning someone to death in brutal crimes like this when there is overwhelming evidence the person committed the killing. Once found guilty the death sentence should be applied quickly - the next day. No damn appeals going on for years to help preserve their sorry life, and bring back the electric chair! These sick b@stards shouldn't contaminate the world with their evilness. We already have enough evil populating this planet.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

There are certain cases that make me believe that the death penalty is a good thing , this is certainly one of those.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Anyone else see insanity defense, or a not fit to stand trial diagnosis in the accused's future..

hope the old guy recovers, but thats going to be a rough road.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Anyone still wondering why we carry guns?
I don't want to turn this into a pro/anti gun thread, but the level of crazy out there is not getting any better. Imagine all the things that happen that don't make national news, just the local paper. Around here, there are several cases of arson, that the police think was done for revenge. Whoever it was set the fires late at night, with the person still in the house. One person died, so now it's arson/murder case. Several bodies have been found over the last couple of years, out by the Interstate. It's I70 that runs across much of the U.S. so it could be a dumping ground for a serial killer. That's in a town of 2700. Imagine the crazy sh** that goes on in large cities we don't hear about.
edit on 23-4-2017 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I am a ccl guy myself but, a gun rarely helps in a situation like this. The guy was on fire.

The ccl is not a good solution to insane people. You would do much better taking tactical awareness classes. The average ccl person doesn't even train enough to be effective in medium range, high intensit situations. Most people honestly can't do more than use a belly gun. The ccl coarse should use se three gun race methods to get heart rate shooting into the situation. Firing your weapon in public in a possibly crowded place, adrenaline firing is something that takes a lot of training to handle safely.

But I digress. The best thing you can do is learn tactical awareness. Where everybody is in the room. Who leavesc who comes in. When someone sits next to you be aware you may need to react very quickly to save your life. It may be picking up the napkin holder and smashing a lighter out of someone's hand. You can't always reach your fire arm, particularly seated in a booth. Shoulder holders have a better chance but not many carry that high because they wear t shirts.

Ps. Depending on how small your barrel and what round you may not want to fire your weapon if your doused with gas.
edit on 23-4-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: TheElectricPriest

You are going to be seeing a lot fewer older people in public venues. Actualy, you probably already are but just haven't noticed it yet.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

Same bet here I guess I start the day off winning

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

a gun rarely helps in a situation like this.

yes it would have, there would be one less sick MF'er in the world. this sick ____k doesn't deserve to live.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Why cant we dump gas on him and light him on fire?

I mean it seems like the reasonable thing to do.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

and i'm even willing to put money on he is a member/supporter of one or two groups.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
Before I saw the pictures of the victim and the suspect I made a bet with myself. I won it.

Take the guy to a cell. Once a week, bring him out in public, do this to him
and then take him back to his cell. Forever.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I like the way you think. Have you ever thought of applying for the Supreme Court Job?

a reply to: Snarl

top topics

<<   2 >>

join