It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More problems for the NH90

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
The New Zealand military has restricted their NH90 helicopters from flying over water, mountains, and populated areas after one of their aircraft suffered an engine failure just before going out over the ocean.

The aircraft departed from Woodburne Air Force base and was heading back to Ohakea Air Force base. There were nine people on board. Just before they crossed out over water, the crew reported a bang, followed by loss of instrumentation for one engine and a loss of power. The aircraft made an emergency landing at a private airfield.

www.radionz.co.nz...

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

The NH-90s procurement "struggles" make the F-111's procurement look like the F-15's.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Actually I think the helicopters are army New Zealands airforce is an old skyhawk parked at the Ohakea museum

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

This is probably the ugliest helicopter development I've ever seen. They're usually not pretty, but the NH90 is even making the F-35 look good.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Not strictly a helicopter but the MH-22 Osprey certainly caused some heartburn in its development

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: khnum

The V-22 only had four major accidents between 1991 and 2000. The big thing with it was that two of them were high profile, either with large numbers of people, or VIPs watching.

The NH90 has had problems from just about everything involved in it. The seats couldn't hold a fully loaded soldier, you couldn't secure heavy weapons in the cabin properly, the floor was prone to damage by troops walking on it, the engines suffered damage from blade rub, engine failures, corrosion....
edit on 4/22/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/22/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   

I remember seeing the mock-ups at Paris in Jane's or whatever as an elementary school kid in the early 90s.

From what I gather, they're barely in service today, 24 years later.

I can understand teething problems from aircraft that push the technological envelope as hard as the F-111, V-22, and F-35 did. The NH-90 on the other hand is like the Blackhawk. It's a friggin Huey replacement utility helicopter, a Toyota Camry with rotors, that should have been cancelled and replaced with a COTS bird nearly two decades ago.
edit on 22-4-2017 by Barnalby because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

They signed the initial development in 91 or 92 I think. And you're right, the only major change made over other helicopters is the full fly by wire flight control system. And that's about the only thing that HASN'T had problems in development.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: khnum

The V-22 only had four major accidents between 1991 and 2000. The big thing with it was that two of them were high profile, either with large numbers of people, or VIPs watching.

The NH90 has had problems from just about everything involved in it. The seats couldn't hold a fully loaded soldier, you couldn't secure heavy weapons in the cabin properly, the floor was prone to damage by troops walking on it, the engines suffered damage from blade rub, engine failures, corrosion....

So how many major accidents has the NH90 had so far and how do they compare to deadly crashes the V-22 had?

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: moebius

It hasn't had any to this point, but what's happening with it is actually worse. It's 20+ years into development and having problems that should have been addressed from the word go. It's not a revolutionary design, like the Osprey was, but they can't seem to solve even basic problems like corrosion.

When you're marketing a helicopter as a ship based design, and one of your customers has corrosion issues after a short period of operations on shore, but near the ocean, that's a pretty serious problem.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 01:39 AM
link   

I mostly heard about the corrosion issues with the NH90 as reported by our Dutch neighbours.
FYI, here is a detailed analysis of the issue :

Inventory of corrosion occurrences on two NH90 helicopters after operation in tropical and saline environment

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: theultimatebelgianjoke

The Germans encountered problems with the seats and floors, while the Australians had problems with blade rub in some of their engines.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Hahahahahaha you forgot the Australian Army with the Tiger Zaph...

new topics

top topics

join