It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Governor of Louisiana Declares State of Emergency as State’s Coastline Disappears

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Greven

when you see a new reason that is now the chicken little's new war cry global warming/ claimate change, that was not there 10 years ago.

started being a problem according to the one 50 years back.

edit on 22-4-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

when you see i a new reason that is now the chicken little's new war cry global warming/ claimate cahnge, that was not there 10 years ago.

started being a problem according to the one 50 years back.

WTF? Are you drunk?

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: SirHardHarry

if you read the article i posted neither one says the first thing about global warming/ claimate change being the cause, it the river and the sediments .

edit on 22-4-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

Yes I should include energy development as additional part of problem, thx.
From your article:

The withdrawal of oil, gas, and groundwater are also blamed for the submerging delta. (Similar subsidence has been noted in Southern California and in many other states due to extensive pumping of groundwater, petroleum products and other reasons.)

Also from 2nd article:

Weight, drainage, industry

Geologists generally point to three major contributors to what has become the fastest-sinking land in North America.

The sheer weight of delta deposits constantly pushes downward, compressing all those moist, loose soils against the solid base below. In healthy deltas, new soils usually arrive fast enough to outpace the rate of compression. But when levees cut off the supply of new sediment on the Mississippi delta, compression gained the upper hand.

Drainage projects also speed subsidence, because removing water from moist delta soils causes them to compact. At the same time, draining exposes highly organic soils -- such as those composed of old marshes and swamps -- to decomposition, which can remove inches and even feet of elevation from some areas in a matter of decades. That's why communities developed behind protective levees have a lower elevation than the wetlands on the other side.

"Look at any of the (elevation) mapping we've done, and you'll see every community is lower than the wetlands they are being protected from," Dokka said. "And, in general, that is only going to get worse, especially as sea levels rise."

And while subsidence occurs naturally, industry activity can accelerate the process. Extraction of mineral deposits from beneath the delta has also been linked to subsidence by state and federal studies. Removal of oil and gas can create empty spaces beneath the surface, allowing layers above to collapse into the holes, adding to the subsidence. New laws require companies to fill these empty holes.

But the causes of subsidence are not restricted to the delta layers. Slippage along the web of fault lines in the Pleistocene layer below the southern half of the state has also been linked to dramatic increases in subsidence rates in specific locations, Dokka said.

So as others have suggested, this may be throwing money towards an inevitable unrepairable event. Perhaps, as Kali suggested, a significant portion of that money should go towards displaced residents.
What a mess and even if the gov does get involved, will that money be spent wisely or will it line the pockets of politicians?

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
a reply to: Antipathy17

What a dumb comment.

I know, GET TF OVER IT!

Another dumb comment. I was never under it lol.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Well governor, build a sea wall and stop whining to the federal government.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   

I added some insights about how gulf coastal protection is done in Florida.

I needed to read dudes doom and gloom to do that?

Just how much has the sea level risen during dudes lifetime?

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Yes climate change has always happened. It's the pace that it is not normal. People and government haven't even accepted it much less prepared. Now everyone pays. Bailouts , big tax cuts for corps, wars. How long can we hold it all up.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Money.. it all boils down to money..

How much ignorance the people who want more money will visit upon the unaware masses is truly insane

Land, water, environments change over time. Our life-times are short on the grand geological time-line.

We scream about things changing, and our hubris first and foremost, assumes we are the big evil; when in the grand scale, we are but a pebble in the great river of change. Like the one guy in a previous post: 50 years ago... A lot changes in 50 years, in some regards. Things will change even more in the next 50 years, whether WE do anything or not.

Why do people not grasp the idea that not only do WE change over time, but so does everything else around us.

The most powerful forces are found in nature, not all of them are sudden either.

Sure, build walls, damns, levies, it won't solve the underlying problem because nature will find a way to do what it was designed to do: change.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: waftist

I don't gripe about snow in Michigan, don't cry about the swamp you live in in Louisiana.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   

But most of the knucklehead Trump supporters say there is no such thing as climate change.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Wait, wait, wait... Global Warming causes bailouts and corporate tax cuts?

Best laugh I've had all day... thanks!

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

I don't gripe about snow in Michigan, don't cry about the swamp you live in in Louisiana.

Well that's not very considerate seasonal. The snow goes away and you can still live in it meanwhile, but rising water that remains is a different beast. The swamp is moving in…permanently.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Isn't that what the state wants, money. And I said I don't know how our economy will bear all these factors. Who is going to pay for it all if Trump has " the biggest tax cut ever" done. Plus escalation of wars.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Perhaps Trump could also build a sea wall so we could keep LA. Perhaps the Mexicans would pay for that as well!!

We would save a lot of money if we hired illegals to build it.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

You know what? You have a great point!

I had heard people try to say Global Warming would cause wars (over scarcity of resources), just never heard Global Warming tied to tax cuts before. Have a well-deserved star!

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17

Another dumb comment. I was never under it lol.

I guess the fact that I was backing up your original
reply has nothing to do with what makes my retort
dumb. So you're right! I apologize to the OP.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

LOL I misread and thought you attacked me... I was like, BOY!

My bad.

edit on 22-4-2017 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Look, New Orleans should never have been built. These guys keep building in vulnerable areas and then claim. "Woe is me!" when no sensible people would have built in those areas anyway. Build on a flood plain and be surprised? Really? It's like building shoddy condos on the Florida coast. Hurricane? Who would have thought? The only disaster is the idiots who insisted on building there.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Look, New Orleans should never have been built. These guys keep building in vulnerable areas and then claim. "Woe is me!" when no sensible people would have built in those areas anyway. Build on a flood plain and be surprised? Really? It's like building shoddy condos on the Florida coast. Hurricane? Who would have thought? The only disaster is the idiots who insisted on building there.

I can't believe there's no reactor there! Astonishing!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join