It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The March for Science Because There is No Planet B

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

As already mentioned, where are the results of the billions that have already been spent?

All around us. How different is technology than 10 years ago? Medicine? Ten years ago... 5 years ago with the same diagnosis I have now, I would probably be dying right about now if not dead already and the potential for full manageability could come before we run out of current options and it does actually kill me. Cutting any funding to Cancer research is a direct threat to my life along with millions of others. And that's just one deadly disease.

Also, these protests aren't just about funding, they are about the repealing of several common sense regulations that help keep people from getting sick in the first place. I don't like rules and laws but when big companies don't play nice and refuse to care about the harm they do, someone has to set some rules. A repeal on levels of mercury allowed? Trump 'believes' that mercury in vaccines causes autism, he is anti-vaccine yet... Then we have a repeal on a pesticide known to inhibit brain growth in children. A repeal on the ban of lead bullets for hunting, which places endangered species that scavenge in danger of lead poisoning? Why? When there's so much more critical stuff to deal with?

Sorry I used your post to rant.

edit on 4/22/2017 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

As already mentioned, where are the results of the billions that have already been spent?

All around us. How different is technology than 10 years ago? Medicine? Ten years ago... 5 years ago with the same diagnosis I have now, I would probably be dying right about now if not dead already and the potential for full manageability could come before we run out of current options and it does actually kill me. Cutting any funding to Cancer research is a direct threat to my life along with millions of others. And that's just one deadly disease.

Also, these protests aren't just about funding, they are about the repealing of several common sense regulations that help keep people from getting sick in the first place. I don't like rules and laws but when big companies don't play nice and refuse to care about the harm they do, someone has to set some rules. A repeal on levels of mercury allowed? Trump 'believes' that mercury in vaccines causes autism, he is anti-vaccine yet... Then we have a repeal on a pesticide known to inhibit brain growth in children.

Sorry I used your post to rant.

It's a good rant and I am honestly happy for you that cancer research has saved you. It did not save my child who lost his battle to cancer last year after three years of treatment. I've seen a lot of big enterprises and big money around the cancer "industry" and I've been bitter for months. I'm trying to get over that and eventually get back into the fight.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti

originally posted by: Kandinsky

As already mentioned, where are the results of the billions that have already been spent? Why keep putting good money after bad? If you don't produce meaningful results, you're not doing your job. Simple as that. Theoretical papers are meaningful only once but that's all that seems to come form the science.

You're kidding, right? "Blah, blah, blah...no results."

Your military budget is ~15 times greater than the science budget with trillions being spent in this century alone by Dems and Republican administrations. What about those results? Why keep investing half your budget on military when it isn't producing meaningful results? They're not doing their job and they've just had a healthy budget increase. A pay rise!! Simple as that!

I'm not going to say I agree with the defense spending but I will say they produce results. There are a lot of innovations that come out of military development. It's unfortunate but that's the way it is.

I agree. Of course there are and 'military development' has a massive component of science too. Non-mil science produces results too. It's not widely understand that null results and failed hypotheses are the bulk of what we call science and are in fact 'results.' Bigger budgets might get bigger results!

We could discuss the value of the military results this century. Is ~$5-600 billion every year well spent? Are you safer now than in the 90s? Is there value for money? I'm only being rhetorical there and it'd derail the thread if we bang on about military budgets.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   

I'm so sorry to read that. My heart breaks for you. There are things worse than being sick yourself, I'm sorry you have to know that first hand.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   

That's tough man. I get where you're coming from now

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

MofS?

Ministry of science?

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Was just looking into that...

March for Science Tweet

and this tweet

I don't take it the way right wingers seem to be.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Good, science has been attacked for several years now and it's good they're fighting back, and raising awareness with the American people.

I'd much rather have our tax money go to scientests than business or the military.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Indeed..

Its cost means further diminished resources for vulnerable and marginalized communities in the US.

Although not calling ISIS marginalised, saying the cost diminishes resources is wrong as well, the MOAB was paid for years ago.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Well, it's going to be replaced.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: lostbook

The March for Politicized "Science" Because We Just Cant Quit Running Out Of Reasons To Protest And Riot Because We're Totally Nuts Because Hillary Lost Because Of Russia And Sexists And Stuff And This Is Just What We Do Now Forever More

I am surprised you didnt use your classic liberals = nazis to attempt discredit it. It is a march against politicized science (GOP climate denial being the biggest example) but you try to turn it around and claim its pushing politicized science.

**slow clap**

Well, if you insist...

...the Liberal Modern (AKA SJW's) do wield their identity politics which are but a modern permutation of the Nazi Mind Control Identity Politick Model, and they do it well. It's quite impressive how verbatim they've run the model, and out-shining them on each point, Hitler having wet dreams in his grave type achievement. This year they've even added in the Nazi Brownshirt's dynamics to street thuggery affairs (ahem, the Blackshirt's, many of which are thuglife culture scum oh the irony). Oh that's right, they're the "Anti-Fascists", now, whom claim to be all anti-fascism, yet no one in the Western World not even Neo-Nazi's come close the Liberal Modern in representing the stereotyical authoritarian brutally-anti-everyone-that-isn't-us aspects of "Fascism".

You think that it isn't possible to be wielding the Nazi style cultish in-group mind control model, if you hate the original Nazi's, and so on such as if you dont hate the Jews the way they did (instead your kind have replaced them with whites), and your specific 'politic' policies, then nope you're 'totally different'. Ergo, if your partyies brutal thugs wear blackshirts instead of brownshirts then you're totally different. Likewise, as long as you're left wingers then no matter how much of stereotypical "fascist" behavior you copy verbatim, and even further refine, then nope you're definitely not just like them because hey their political philosophy was "right winger" and ours is "left winger"... so no matter how precisely we model our social group cultism appeals, and the absolute worst of the hyper-bigot behaviors and related social movement dynamics that made them each infamous to begin with (as after all specific political policy / philosophy isn't what the Nazi's / Fascist's are famous for, PERIOD)...

NOPE WE'RE GOOD GUYS if we represent / nurture / defend the very worst aspects of what made those guys famous because our political party policies are lefty instead of righty. Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Here's what you need to realize, not that you've even read this far: any mass social movement anywhere, whether it be religious (consider Islam, who you absolutely love no matter how brutally anti woman etc they are), political, nationalist / globalist, possibly even corporate or weird stuff like music genre under the right 'dystopian society' circumstances, can encompass the best or the worst social dynamics / tactics as any other Social Movement ever. If you were to study the 'science' of social movements you could write the entire text book of many chapters without having detailed chapters specific to nor supportive of specific political philosophies / parties / policies. This is just reality. Political PARTY'S are but brands. They all use propaganda. They all hold rallies. Etc along these lines. And then every so often a harsh oppressive movement arises that likes to herd their cult like the Nazi's did, and stomp all over their opposition the way the Fascist's / Nazi Brownshirt's did.

THAT is to assess a social movement, NOT their specific party policies SUCH as their position on open borders, OR if they prefer globalism instead of nationalist type appeal, OR if they love/hate a specific racial identity.

Your movement can substitute globalism in place of nationalism, it doesn't mean you're all the sudden not a Hyper-Tribalist social movement (the model pioneered by the Nazi's). Your movement could literally worship Jews where the Nazi's loathed them, if you have the same 'Internal Oppressor Model) such as the Straight White Male Patriarchy is made your fellow everyday common man if they aren't down with our Party SJW Politicking... Imagine Jews never existed, or at least not in Germany, yet the same 'history' still played out in 1930's Germany, instead of Jews shops getting smashed it was shops sporting gay pride rainbow flags over their joints, or if Planet Mars was just like Earth complete with people there, and we had already interplanetary travel, and Martians integrated into society, it wouldn't matter WHO the Jews were or what they were about, it was all about the role they played in the history of the Nazi SOCIAL MOVEMENT.

Since I'm not actually a part of any party / movement / etc, this is the kind of stuff I measure groups and their movements by. Most people just look at the plain politics. Although you guys did go NUTSO trying to paint Trump and people who opposed you / supported him as being "literally Hitler" or "literally Nazi's / Fascist's", but the Irony Of The Decade is when the left wing / right wing policy type dynamics were stripped away, you guys behavior / identity politicking / and actual social movement designs / tactics etc dynamics literally would have Hitler having wet dreams in his grave like no other movement anywhere or any time.

And mark my words, the Nazi's, also so famous for Eugenics, which they learned from US Eugenicists, in but a few years Modern Eugenics (Transhumanism) it will the Liberal Modern types, it will be the SJW's pushing hard for this. It's already dripping with it, although most people dont have an eye for it. They're already primed even if the footsoldiers now don't currently have much mind for it. It's inevitable; inherent; goes without saying.

And that's all about the science. Which Trump isn't attacking that kind of science, but if he were, SJW fountainhead front of the corporate varieties like Google would have millions of minions marching the nation over it.

That's the atheist holy promised land, you see. But for now the GLOBAL WARMING doomsday is all the commoners are much thinking about, and that's what this march is more about. And although I'd imagine damn near every university type that goes marching is totally into this SJW stuff, are down with employing the dark side techniques of social movement like I just explained... it will be curious if the Liberal Blackshirt's show up at whatever protests happen, to stormtropper the events...

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   

First of all, your confidence in scientific pursuits continuing is misplaced. The work that is on the books is no longer properly funded, and will encounter problems associated therewith, delaying or requiring the scrapping of certain initiatives, no matter how important they may be.

Furthermore, I know precisely what I would scrap here in BRITAIN (which will shortly be separate from Europe in a more than physical sense), and that is every part of the military budget which winds up in the hands of a business, rather than being devoted entirely to the training and equipping of OUR military, every part of the budget which ends up being used to fund GCHQ, a group of traitorous dogs who will be amongst the first against the wall, if and when some revolutionary event occurs. I would get rid of every expenditure directed toward providing funding and equipment for any force of military power, other than that of our own nation. I would scrap aid and funding to any project which will benefit corporate power at the expense of the people.

I would also save billions and billions of pounds by having every firm contracted by government to perform a service examined by the secret service, and any which are found to have ever evaded or avoided any tax, or stored their money offshore, would be liquidated on the day that information became known, its shareholders, managers, executive level officers arrested, fined whatever their net worth is, as well as being thrown down a hole so deep that the only people who can hear their whimpering are Bernie Madoff and Satan.

These things would give us enough to get started and still have some significant numbers of billions of pounds left over, not to mention removing the thorns from the side of this nation, and cleaning the government of its more dubious members.

link   
March for Corruption !!

link   
a reply to: Kali74

I didn't think it was?

Any who, the point of scientists calling ISIS marginalised, seems to be patently false.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Uh...

No. It was not fantasy. Fantasy would be....

"Lets just carry on being lead by financiers, bankers, MIC representatives and other representatives of the super rich, and ignore the effects even as our ankles get wetter and food becomes harder to manufacture. Lets just carry on without making the infrastructural changes necessary to protect the future from the stupidity of our collective past and present. Lets do NOTHING instead, capital idea, love it. The people understand it and the powerful do not have to pay for it. Everyone is on board!"

... and assuming that we can survive the consequences.

Business as usual will kill our species dragonridr. It will create circumstances we cannot survive, which will be upon us too fast for our bodies to evolve a way around. Humanity will cease to exist if we do not enact the suggestions I have put forward. There will be no future, unless we use the present wisely.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I think what Kali74 was referring to, is that much the same way as when one empties a magazine from a pistol, one generally has to buy more ammunition at some stage, so this MOAB that they launched will necessitate that another one be built to occupy its place in the stockpile.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm'

It says you're in Australia anyway. What do you care what cuts or debt America has???

The same could be said for folks living in California as well.
Look , we all know by now that MMGW is nothing but a "Madoff" style Ponzi scheme....

edit on 4/22/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: muSSang

Luckily, what you say has absolutely no bearing on anything, which is just as well, since you clearly have all the compassion of a housebrick.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

I could have misread.

Ever argue with your significant other and you know they didn't mean something they said a specific way but you chose to take it a specific way because you wanted to be mad? That's what this reminds me of.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I did mean that but it may not be so.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join