It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defiant first flight slips

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

They said the first rotor blade took 2 years, the latest rotor blade, 11 days.
edit on 10/10/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Tilt-rotor is almost guaranteed to have higher speed and range to the compound.

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

You have a PM, sir.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   

The Sikorsky-Boeing SB>1 Defiant team would likely be flying today if the US Army had not preferred automated composite rotor blade manufacturing, according to a key officer speaking at the Vertical Flight Society's Helicopter Military Operations Technology (HELMOT) conference in Virginia.

Brigadier General Walter Rugen, US Army Future Vertical Lift (FVL) cross-functional team director, told the HELMOT audience on 24 October that the army's Aviation and Missile Research Development and Engineering Center (AMRDEC) asked the Defiant team to do technological things that had perhaps slowed development. Gen Rugen told Jane's after his presentation that one of the requests - automating composite rotor blade manufacturing - is a way to make production more rapid and more affordable, ..

Ned Chase, AMRDEC Joint Multi-Role Technology Demonstrator (JMR-TD) deputy programme manager, told Jane's that the automated rotor blade manufacturing request likely added nine months to the Defiant's timeline...

Janes
Not really news, but it is confirmation from the customer.

That's why noone is panicking from the Defiant end...
edit on 30-10-2018 by RadioRobert because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

I have to wonder why they would not want to lay up a set of propellers by hand first, get the bird flying and then swap out the propellers for the new ones once the process was ready. I mean, it strikes me as relatively trivial in cost difference and would have had the Defiant in the air far, far faster...and gotten the whole test program done far faster as well.

ELI5?

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Probably would have been cheaper to hand lay, honestly. Once they get the kinks worked out is where they might see some time and monetary savings. So it's an investment into risk-mitigation and cost-reduction later. Seed money. My guess is there is a lack of urgency that kept them from doing both at the same time to fly earlier.

The Army's requisition programs are as bad as the Navy. I don't think they're in a hurry to make decisions, so they probably don't care as long as they get the data eventually. Phase one of JMR is just supposed to validate the technologies. So a real "Defiant" ( and Valor for that matter) will have significant differences from the demonstrators being built. They aren't prototypes in a true sense, which lays alongside the lack of urgency.

They aren't even setting requirements for the medium-size FVL's until after the demonstration programs finish (hello, award protest). This flight program is all about laying out what comes next.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

My guess is there is a lack of urgency that kept them from doing both at the same time to fly earlier.

Yeah. That is about all I can think of.

The Army's requisition programs are as bad as the Navy.

hahaha.

I think they're worse. They've scrapped and restarted their acquisitions several times now. Light scout helicopter? We're on iteration number what now? Bradley replacement? Artillery snuck an upgrade in which put a Bradley chassis under the Paladin turret. But...Now they're talking about that 1k km cannon. A Grosse Berta all over again and calling it 'moveable' rather than mobile. Freakin thing will be a strike magnet and dead after its first rounds.

My family has been army since ...well...a very long time and this just hurts.

*silently weeps*

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Werent they saying "Lasers" and Railguns on something as well?

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Well, in this case, I think it's sort of smart. They're saying "show me" to industry before writing the requirements. They can ride the -60 -hawks and Chinooks for the foreseeable future witbout an urgent need (except the Kiowa replacements). This should help the actual program where they throw the big bucks around safer and less prone to delays. The majority of the money is coming from the industry at this point while they sheppard it through to a level of maturity.

It's the next part that they'll probably make a hash of. I have a couple second-hand NLOS stories if you want to weep haha

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

On a VTOL? Lasers were being tested as a pod on an Apache, but other than that...no.

For railguns on tilt rotors, you're thinking of _War in 2020_ by ralph peters...lasers on autgyros, too.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Broke it on the ground. Well, not really broken, but had some issues. No major redesign or repair required. Already fixed. Took a couple weeks. Just want 15+ hours of completely issue-less ground run time. Look for a late -February, early -March first flight.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

It's outside and, I presume, preparing for its first flight.

www.defensenews.com...

Why does it feel Chinook-ish?

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I've said it before and I'll say it again. It looks horrible. I know I know looks aren't everything but it all looks a little complicated or like someone has taken a helicopter body and dumped a prop and two rotors on it. I understand the the prop is for more forward speed but it looks like it was designed and someone's thought 'we need more forward speed... I know let's just stick a prop on the back'. Would working on tilt rotor aircraft been more worth while I just don't see this getting much attention for sales but hey what do I know

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThePeaceMaker
I've said it before and I'll say it again. It looks horrible. I know I know looks aren't everything but it all looks a little complicated or like someone has taken a helicopter body and dumped a prop and two rotors on it. I understand the the prop is for more forward speed but it looks like it was designed and someone's thought 'we need more forward speed... I know let's just stick a prop on the back'. Would working on tilt rotor aircraft been more worth while I just don't see this getting much attention for sales but hey what do I know

Well, tilt rotors are not exactly simple. And they need at least two rotors too.

Personally I think the most simple configuration would be a helicopter with wings and two props at wing ends. The props would also provide the counter torque, removing the need for a tail rotor. Airbus presented such a concept last year.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: moebius

Ever try to exit a helo in the dark with a large prop next to your ear? Do you want to? Me neither.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Not quite kicking ass yet, but she's at least burning gas.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   

www.janes.com...

FARA moving out? I'm pretty sure the Defiant related system will end up winning that one unless they do something really bad.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 04:51 PM
link   
For Recon are they looking for a little bird again?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

yup.

FARA is the scout.

FLRRA (or whatever) is the blackhawk replacement.

I'd bet on the raider/defiant for the scout and the tilt rotor for the BH.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Definitely a Raider size or smaller I would say..Maybe a drone configuration with lift fans.No need for multiple Hellfires on a recon bird.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join