It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the European Union Worth It Or Should We End It?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Being an American I really don't understand the idea of Brexit and why it's such a big deal to some. Now conspiracies aside, you know Globalists Agenda and whatnot, I wasn't really aware of what the European Union meant and why it existed in the first place. But then this short but educational video popped up on my YouTube feed (a great channel BTW and I recommend you guys explore the other videos as well) and it opened my eyes to its history, it's advantages and it's disadvantages. I assume many fellow Americans on this site may not know what the EU meant to, well the EU so please take a few minutes and watch the video. As for our European members, please also watch and post your feelings about the matter!

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I'm afraid Europe is at war and will need it.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

The smart thing would be to end it. Theirs only one successful union in this world and its the USA. Their have been other unions notably the USSR but it failed.

Unions dont work.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: FuggleHop

So Unions don't work but America's Union does? The EU has been working since WW2, of course like anything else it has it's problems but I wouldn't call it a failure or dare compare it the USSR.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Well, we're always at war somewhere aren't we, whether it's the EU or the USA.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   

When you centralize and add to the bureaucracy it doesn't work.

The consolidation of power and influence doesn't work.

Nature works off of diversity.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Problems will always exist but the EU doesn't cease diversity. That's like saying there's no diversity in the USA. You are right about the power structure and no matter what nation, transparency would be for the best to help thwart blatant corruption and help identify problems. That is a struggle we've been experiencing since recorded history and isn't just a EU issue.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Can't trust humans with power.

Need to decentralize everything, all authority.

Competition and freedom are the driving forces behind change and innovation.

Government cannot keep up with the rapidly changing landscape of technology and culture.

edit on 21-4-2017 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   
The European Union will fall apart because it is made up of too many individual former empires. Each one of these former empires has no interest in adjusting its monetary policies, immigration policies, and treaty obligations to align with a single centralized policy if it does not benefit them. And what benefits one may not another, therefore not enough cohesion.

The biggest deciding families of course do not see eye to eye with the future of Europe. The King of Belgium and Queen of England I think are too far apart on the future of Europe. The only hope for the EU to stay in existence is the creation of a EU armed forces. This would redefine NATO with only a handful of European states along the coastal regions, like UK, France, Norway and such. There are a handful of NATO states which re not aa part of the EU, and vice versa.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Oh yeah, power is all corrupting and again, has been an issue throughout the recorded history but transparency could help solve some of these problems. We do need a power structure, you know because life would be rough without infrastructure, education, a military, police force, fire departments, etc. Life for us is far from a Utopia but as each generation is born, as a whole, I hope we can achieve a better life for us and for the planet. It's a struggle but that's what life is really about, getting knocked down but getting up again.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: FuggleHop

So Unions don't work but America's Union does? The EU has been working since WW2, of course like anything else it has it's problems but I wouldn't call it a failure or dare compare it the USSR.

Don't dare compare unions is right.

The US was organic and formed from a wide variety of ethnicities and race creating a balance..

The EU and USSR attempted to do so with multiple countries, all of which form a very different make up. To intensify it more they used countries with rich culture and a long history in many cases.

You'll always be met with resistance if you try and fight the original cultures.
edit on 21-4-2017 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 11:41 PM
link   

There's comments to wether it worked or not. I think it would depend on what country you are in for the most part. I believe the overriding reason for Brexit was the same reason as the American Revolution, not having a say in the laws being made that affect you.

I've come to believe that the larger the conglomeration of people, the more likely the rulers will be unaccountable and selfishness and greed will flourish. I think in the US we should retreat toward Federalism, giving many of the powers that Federal Gov't has coopted in one way or the other, and send them back to the individual states.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Swills.
You arent from Europe. ...but from all of the true Americans on this site. We wish you were. You embarass the whole nation with your bs logic

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Problems will always exist but the EU doesn't cease diversity. That's like saying there's no diversity in the USA. You are right about the power structure and no matter what nation, transparency would be for the best to help thwart blatant corruption and help identify problems. That is a struggle we've been experiencing since recorded history and isn't just a EU issue.

Buzz word. Tolerance. What you really mean is they have opened the door for their own destruction.....and you want to do the same here. Zero respect for Swills or any of his sort.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 12:11 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 01:08 AM
link   
The EUs biggest failure is the fact that the people who pay taxes aren't allowed to vote for a single person who can create or repeal a law.
its all done in secret by appointed ministers who we have no choice but to accept.

MEPs just rubber stamp the laws that the commission come up with.

No democracy and no accountability.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 01:14 AM
link   
The union was sold to the people as a free trade agreement that would allow member states easier buying and selling power, what it then turned into was something far more sinister. It is absurd to think countries with different economies, laws and cultures could work as one. Case in point we are all one big country in the EU yet we have totally different laws such as in the Netherlands where you can legally f#ck a school girl whilst smoking a joint but go straight to prison if you do over 100 mph in a vehicle, the UK for example is the total opposite and there in lies some of the issues there is no unified common sense. (Extreme example granted) but it shows what I mean and it runs right down to the smallest of bureaucratic matters.

Then you have the cost, Everything in the EU has a fee and legislation beyond belief, I have dealt with it personally and it is absurd..

Moving on to the mass migration of third world immigrants that Brussels stated member states "have" to accept that in reality was just a way to water down the native population that in the long run would see far less national pride and as such a culture that is easier to manipulate, the for migration agenda is a total con and for many member states the door was only ever going to go one way..

How many UK expats for example moved to Latvia when they became members?, or Romania for that matter???....

I remember in the 90s the scare stories of what would happen if the UK didnt join the EURO would be and that was proven to be a load of crap, the EU elite love to bully their minions when they really want to get their own way, it is a dictatorship make no bones about it...

My last point is the overall cost of keeping unelected officials on their Brussels gravy train, the amounts are a joke, the world is far bigger than just the EU and when you have total f#cking morons like Merkle with a serious Islamic fetish in charge of a main member country I think we can all see what that has led to!!!!...

The free trade agreement that it was sold as was fine, the BS that the EU is now is not worth it, I hope the whole thing is collapses and countries can regain some identity and sovereignty so they can try and patch up the mess that the EU would have left behind..

RA

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 01:54 AM
link   
The EU was created to compete with the US and China. What they didn't figure in their plans is that many of the countries suck and so in the end they will fail as the stable countries back out.

edit on 22-4-2017 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 01:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: slider1982
The union was sold to the people as a free trade agreement that would allow member states easier buying and selling power, what it then turned into was something far more sinister. It is absurd to think countries with different economies, laws and cultures could work as one. Case in point we are all one big country in the EU yet we have totally different laws such as in the Netherlands where you can legally f#ck a school girl whilst smoking a joint but go straight to prison if you do over 100 mph in a vehicle, the UK for example is the total opposite and there in lies some of the issues there is no unified common sense. (Extreme example granted) but it shows what I mean and it runs right down to the smallest of bureaucratic matters.

Then you have the cost, Everything in the EU has a fee and legislation beyond belief, I have dealt with it personally and it is absurd..

Moving on to the mass migration of third world immigrants that Brussels stated member states "have" to accept that in reality was just a way to water down the native population that in the long run would see far less national pride and as such a culture that is easier to manipulate, the for migration agenda is a total con and for many member states the door was only ever going to go one way..

How many UK expats for example moved to Latvia when they became members?, or Romania for that matter???....

I remember in the 90s the scare stories of what would happen if the UK didnt join the EURO would be and that was proven to be a load of crap, the EU elite love to bully their minions when they really want to get their own way, it is a dictatorship make no bones about it...

My last point is the overall cost of keeping unelected officials on their Brussels gravy train, the amounts are a joke, the world is far bigger than just the EU and when you have total f#cking morons like Merkle with a serious Islamic fetish in charge of a main member country I think we can all see what that has led to!!!!...

The free trade agreement that it was sold as was fine, the BS that the EU is now is not worth it, I hope the whole thing is collapses and countries can regain some identity and sovereignty so they can try and patch up the mess that the EU would have left behind..

RA

100% This

This is the worst of the EU laid out in plain simple English for you, and exactly the reasons i voted to leave...it has been nothing short of disaster.
edit on 22-4-2017 by nickovthenorth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

Wow. Excellent point.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join