It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear War or Change Your Religion: Pick.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   
What crap! NO RELIGIONS CAN COEXIST! THIS HAS BEEN SHOWN OVER THE PAST TWO AND A HALF THOUSAND YEARS WITH MANY A WARS BEING WAGED IN RELIGIONS NAME!!! WHEN WILL YOU PEOPLE WAKE UP AND REALISE THAT RELIGION WILL NOT HELP YOU IN THIS ASPECT. MILLIONS HAVE ALREADY DIED, AND YOU ARE WILLING TO KEEP LETTING THAT HAPPEN IN THE NAME OF ""god""

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by smallpeeps

Catholics and Protestants get along well enough in most of the world.

Yes, but wouldn't you say that the reason they haven't fought much in other parts of the world is due to 'civilization'? Are you saying that if civilized behavior falls apart those old prejudices won't return?

If civilization falls apart I think the last thing people are going to worry about is whether or not one group thinks transubstantiation occurs via a miracle and the other thinks its a symbolic ritual.

I have personally met Protestants (yes, from Ireland) who hate Catholics above all other creatures.

Of course, and some Irish Catholics think that protestantism and anglicism are the root of all evil in the world also. There's lots of idiots all over the world. Just because the loons inside two groups hate each other doesn't mean everyone else in the group does.

I'm just saying that your question, its too far removed from reality really. I mean, would a person sing this hymm instead of that one at church, or eat a eucharist made out of soy rather than wheat, in order to prevent global thermonuclear war? Probably. But would they capitulate to their enemy? Why should they? I mean, whats the most vile, horrible, repugnant, inhuman things you can think of? Now are you going to do them and get millions of other people to do them in order to stop some nuke war that the vile, horrible, repugnant inhuman enemy is starting?

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by zekimro
What crap! NO RELIGIONS CAN COEXIST! THIS HAS BEEN SHOWN OVER THE PAST TWO AND A HALF THOUSAND YEARS WITH MANY A WARS BEING WAGED IN RELIGIONS NAME!!!

And all those times when different religions peacefully co-existed just dont count then?

When hasn't there been a war? Of course some of those wars were genuinely over religion. There've been wars over lots of things. If anything, its people that can't co-exist, regardless of religion.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Again, like the above, it seems that the real problem isn't religious beliefs at all; rather, it's people who want to meddle in everyone else's business.

I agree with you, ML, in that leaving each other alone would be best. Did you vote Libertarian? Just curious.

The question I posed does require some imagination in that you have to imagine that somehow you could open a hole or look into a crystal-ball and observe the future: It is nuclear war. Then a voice would have to say in your mind (in such a way that you would not doubt it), "This will happen if you do not accept half of your enemy's beliefs!" If a person cannot imagine a scenario like that then I guess it's not a question for them. For me, however, it's a question I have asked myself and have learned much in the process. I haven't had any visions unless you count dreams about mushroom clouds from time to time. Don't most people have that dream/nightmare?

Actually, now that I think about it, I dream about nukes more than I dream about Jesus.

I am curious, how would you view a Brother-Mason who came to you and whispered such a story to you? Would you accept that he had actually had this vision? What if he interpreted it to mean that he had to leave the Masonic faith? I don't know who the Masons see as their enemy so I'm professing my ignorance here.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   

I mean, would a person sing this hymm instead of that one at church, or eat a eucharist made out of soy rather than wheat, in order to prevent global thermonuclear war?

Well... Yes, that is the question I'm asking.

I mean, you're trivializing it and I agree with you in a way, but isn't it funny how those are EXACTLY the points that cannot be given up by either side? The most trivial sounding points are the lynchpins of the discussion. The wafer is either a piece of bread REPRESENTING Christ's flesh or it IS Christ's flesh. People will die for their beliefs. Will they kill everyone for their beliefs?

I'm not asking if it's true that religion-change would prevent nuclear war. I think religion-change would be impossible without hard force being applied by a global purging.

The question, as I said, is circumspect, loaded and not entirely based in reality. It's pretty simple, however.

"That could never happen" and "This is stupid" are also acceptable answers.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   

MANY A WARS BEING WAGED IN RELIGIONS NAME!!! WHEN WILL YOU PEOPLE WAKE UP AND REALISE THAT RELIGION WILL NOT HELP YOU IN THIS ASPECT. MILLIONS HAVE ALREADY DIED, AND YOU ARE WILLING TO KEEP LETTING THAT HAPPEN IN THE NAME OF ""god""

I am curious. If you could see into the future (say some scientist invented a time-machine-tv) and you saw that being ardently atheistic would certainly cause nuclear war, would you agree to let your child be taught prayer in school? Would praying in school be preferable to nuclear war?

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Everyones gotta die sometime.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join