It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have conservatives become more socially liberal than "liberals"?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Kali74

Bernie started a great dialogue,

Soneone needs to tell ANTIFA.

Can’t exclude people who disagree with us

www.salon.com...

In the same way that the skinheads and neonazi's on the right don't really reflect on the more sane people....the lunatics like ANTIFA don't really reflect on the rest of the left.

Same as the guys wearing bomber vests really don't seem anything like any of the muslim people I have know and/or worked with over the years.

I know quite a few Christians who won't try to convert you, either. Its a crazy world in reality. I may have seen my mailman petting the neighbors dog, in fact.

Yet this truth is not instilled as the norm (which it in fact is!). Yet, what is portrayed in the headlines daily on any given media source would not tell that story nor attempt to explain that it isn't.

Add in all these shiny labels and you have quite the recipe for division that is hopelessly un-mendable. This must change. The vast, VAST majority live/work/play/think in the middle of the political spectrum.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Drain the swamp.

Not the one in DC....the one in the rest of the US that we call "political discourse". Its unreal that we would expect our government to change when it is merely a representation of us. And the less civil we behave, the less civil they will behave, guaranteed. How long till we get some circus of shoe throwing and brawling in our own halls of legislation?

If you recognize this problem (not just you, but anyone reading this), then it is up to you to make that change. You do this by simply not participating in the lower denominaational behaviors that define "partisan politics". It might also help to not identify wit a party, despite identifying with your ideals. Being liberal doesn't mean being democrat, nor does liberal define your identity. Its ok for assholes to exist in either group of viewpoints, just like there are no shortage of good and bad anarchists (im mostly an anarchist at heart). Its people. Go out and treat everyone as such, and we can take back discussions in the US.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye
a reply to: stosh64

It would be nice to see every person who argued in this thread admit we are all on one side and never look back.

Wouldn't that be refreshing

I fear with the addiction most of the populous has to MSM and their constant agenda driven propoganda, funded by the BIG $$$ mOjOm mentioned there is little hope for common sense to win out.

We can always hope though.

Until I read mOjOms post I was going to reply that after reading this whole thread, my goal in life, what little I have left, is to avoid human contact at all cost.

So mOjOm, thanks for restoring a little hope back in me!

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I agree with most of that, however I don't think passive behavior will force political change. I don't pretend to know what it will take either, sadly.

Draining the swamp IMO is much bigger than just the government. It extends into almost every corner of commerce and resources which effect us all. I'm wondering if we will all go down the drain with it.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   

No.

What most people are missing is suburbia.

You have rural America which is mostly populated by people who lean right.

You have urban core America which tends to be populated by more left leaning folks.

In the middle you have suburbia where you still have actual neighborhoods. I could use mine as a small example. Because you have yards and neighbors, you interact. You can't avoid your neighbors entirely. You see them going in and out while you work in the yard, take out trash, etc. And the things you might think of the "other" you lock up because they're your neighbor. You aren't going to spout your nonsense at them. You have to get along.

As a result, the neighbor on one side can have a confederate flag hanging in their garage window, and their kids play in the yard of the fireman across the street who happens to be black. My husband helps the fireman push cars up and out all winter when the streets are slick. And the firemen's kids were chanting, "Obama! Obama!" on election day morning in 2008 while about 6 months later ... we had TEA party signs out on our lawn.

But we all work together, wave, watch each other's kids at the bus stops in the morning.

Suburbia. Getting along.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Im anything but passive. Im accomodating, i try to empower people i talk to. But im not passive in any way.

Its not zero sum. Not being confrontational doesn't mean being passive. It just means trying to be polite, and find common ground against our enemy: our rogue government. We keep wanting to fix our government while treating each other like crap. I don't see how we will make that happen. Look at our elections....no one who is qualified is even willing to run because of the circus we have created.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

No.

You have urban core America which tends to be populated by more left leaning folks.

In the middle you have suburbia where you still have actual neighborhoods. I could use mine as a small example. Because you have yards and neighbors, you interact. You can't avoid your neighbors entirely. You see them going in and out while you work in the yard, take out trash, etc. And the things you might think of the "other" you lock up because they're your neighbor. You aren't going to spout your nonsense at them. You have to get along.

As a result, the neighbor on one side can have a confederate flag hanging in their garage window, and their kids play in the yard of the fireman across the street who happens to be black. My husband helps the fireman push cars up and out all winter when the streets are slick. And the firemen's kids were chanting, "Obama! Obama!" on election day morning in 2008 while about 6 months later ... we had TEA party signs out on our lawn.

But we all work together, wave, watch each other's kids at the bus stops in the morning.

Suburbia. Getting along.

I could be wrong, but it seems you summarize or restated my point: if we want to fix our politics, we need to fix ourselves and we way we treat each other.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

Until I read mOjOms post I was going to reply that after reading this whole thread, my goal in life, what little I have left, is to avoid human contact at all cost.

So mOjOm, thanks for restoring a little hope back in me!

Thank you for those kind words stosh64.

The sooner we realize we're all in this together, the sooner we'll figure out how to change it.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Im anything but passive. Im accomodating, i try to empower people i talk to. But im not passive in any way.

Its not zero sum. Not being confrontational doesn't mean being passive. It just means trying to be polite, and find common ground against our enemy: our rogue government. We keep wanting to fix our government while treating each other like crap. I don't see how we will make that happen. Look at our elections....no one who is qualified is even willing to run because of the circus we have created.

I didn't mean to imply that you personally were being passive. The approach you mentioned is. Squeaky wheel gets the grease mentality. If were all just cogs doing as we know we should, nothing changes. I've zero problems exercising patience, listening, respect and compassion for those of differing beliefs and belief systems (my Momma would beat me senseless otherwise!) nor do I think that anyone has the right to exert control over mine.

At some point the vast majority need to speak up and find representatives that...represent. Crazy thought but I know most of us could rally behind that logic. Taxes is another unifying subject.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: neo96

Gun control

Isn't that a Democrat thing?

Anyway speaking of Democrats - www.gunsandammo.com...

Sure is a democrat thing.

Since they all except the 86 ban come from them.

The 90s and Bill Clinton created the background check.

The first time in over 200 years the people had to get the states permission to practice their right.

You dont even know the history of the US if you make statements like that.

en.wikipedia.org...

(as always with wiki pages the sources are in the Reference section.)

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

No.

Suburbia. Getting along.

I'm glad your neighborhood is like that. Sounds like a great place to live. Those who control us don't like that though. So, instead they try to paint pictures with the media of what's supposedly going on in the big cities to scare us. And force us to embrace a manufactured opinion based on sound bytes of select angry and ignorant people.

Because let's face it, in peaceful communities, people tend to come up with solutions for society.

Ew. Gross.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

I know it better than most.

The National Firearms Act. FDR.

The Gun Control Act of 1968. Johnson.

The Reagan era law fix the snip created by the abuse of created buy Johnson.

The Brady Handgun Prevention Act. Bill Clinton.

The background check did not exist until 1998.

The Assualt weapons Ban. BILL Clinton.

The FAILED ASWB by Feinstein.

ALL 'liberals'.
edit on 21-4-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   

We do, but my point is that those places exist where we still have neighborhoods.

You don't necessarily have those as much in some places. How many left-leaning folks would move into the rural areas and is there the opportunity for them to do it in many cases?

And in the urban core a lot of the living is apartment style which has a lot less of the neighborhood outdoors aspect to it that creates the chances for interaction that suburban style life affords and creates.

Maybe we need more middle class and more middle class neighborhoods.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   

You know it so well you make incorrect statements?

The first time in over 200 years the people had to get the states permission to practice their right.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Damn, sometimes you actually say the most reasonable stuff that I totally agree with.

Other times I'd swear you just warped through the Bizzaro gateway right before making a post.

But this time you right on the money!! Good for you!!

You get a smiley face and a star for the day. Now go outside and play. You earned it.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

What is incorrect ?

WHAT ?

The Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act (Pub.L. 103–159, 107 Stat. 1536, enacted November 30, 1993), often referred to as the Brady Act or the Brady Bill,[1][2] is an Act of the United States Congress that mandated federal background checks on firearm purchasers in the United States, and imposed a five-day waiting period on purchases, until the NICS system was implemented in 1998.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   

United States v. Cruikshank 1875 for example.

The right there specified is that of "bearing arms for a lawful purpose." This is not a right granted by the Constitution. Neither is it in any manner dependent upon that instrument for its existence. The second amendment declares that it shall not be infringed, but this, as has been seen, means no more than that it shall not be infringed by Congress. This is one of the amendments that has no other effect than to restrict the powers of the national government, leaving the people to look for their protection against any violation by their fellow citizens of the rights it recognizes, to what is called, in The City of New York v. Miln, 11 Pet. 139, the "powers which relate to merely municipal legislation, or what was, perhaps, more properly called internal police," "not surrendered or restrained" by the Constitution of the United States.[4]

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Maybe we need more middle class and more middle class neighborhoods.

BRAVO!!!

And your point is taken.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   
If you count some of the conservatives intertwined with and or former Libertarians(socially liberal/ fiscally conservative) identifying as more conservative, than I agree. If not, appears less likely.

I agree about the middle class yes. Though, isn't the middle class on the way out due to the economy and more-such as the heroin epidemic heavily affecting the middle class on the East Coast? Pretty sad.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Now you're starting to sound like The Bill. Nice!

edit on 22-4-2017 by Wide-Eyes because: Missed word

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join