It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concrete Blonde--Bloodletting

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Hi friends! I hope you are having a wonderful day!

Are you familiar with the group Concrete Blonde? They are a female fronted gothic/alternative rock band formed in 1982. Johnette Napolitano is the lead singer and songwriter and her gritty voice was an integral part of the band's unique sound.

Bloodletting is their third studio release (1992) and a venture into the gothic sound. It is dark, haunting, but beautiful. It would probably make a perfect soundtrack for a New Orleans vampire movie. The songs "Joey" and "Tomorrow Wendy" were the most well known with Joey peaking at 19 on the Billboard Top 100.

Napolitano wrote the songs during a very dark period in her life. A lot of the songs deal with loss and love gone sour. BUT it is a great album for any mood! Driving bass, excellent guitar work and of course Napolitano's raspy deep voice.

I think after all these years Caroline is my favorite song on the album but they really all are good!
Let me know what you think, friends

Here's Caroline and after that I'll post the complete album.
Enjoy your day!

edit on 21-4-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Good band!

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Neith

I agree!

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Hi zosi

Never heard of them, but I really like that song and her voice is great. Thanks for sharing again

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Hi friend! Awesome. You have such a wide appreciation of music. Have a great day/weekend!

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

As an artist myself, I can always appreciate art and the craft that goes into it

Have a great weekend too

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   

I am definitely a creative person.. but not an artist- just a top notch art appreciator! lol.

A huge THANK YOU to you and all the artists in the world!!!!

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Great band.

You mentioned "Joey" and "Tomorrow Wendy" as their most well known songs, but I'd rank their song "Everybody Knows" at least as well known (if not better known) than Tomorrow Wendy, and right up there with "Joey" when it comes to their hits.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

What? You've never heard of these guys? omg .... you're not from earth are you? haha, sorry it's FRIDAY wooooot! Im going to enjoy my f'ing day!

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   
God is a Bullet

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   

To be fair, they kind of broke up in 1995 (got back together a bit on and off until 2012 but never like it was).. how old were you then, hunter? In 1995 I was 15.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: redmage

Thanks for posting another great song!
I love her version.. love it.

I should have specified in the OP but I was referring to the songs on Bloodletting.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Some of us, younger gens can enjoy this via youtube what is age? It's a number. And then some people never physically age. Good genes, most undoubtably

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Yeah, a lot of movie soundtracks from the 90s were amazing, and Concrete Blonde's contribution to the soundtrack for Pump up the Volume is no exception.

Back then it felt like top artists were just excited to contribute and collaborate on film soundtracks, where as now it feels like "artists" would want millions for a film to "have the privilege of featuring one of their songs".
edit on 4/21/17 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   
lol, true.. but
Millions of songs on youtube.

One can only stumble upon so much in a lifetime. Especially when there are thousands of artists making more every day.
lol.. constant catch-up which is great, we can never run out of great material.

Here's to youthful genes and good music!

lol

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Great band and a great album. I love the guitar work, I believe the guitarist is James Mankey...very underrated as far as what he brought to the rock world. Overall the songs were well written, and her voice...it's "hauntingly familiar," to use one of their own lyrics.

Also see "Walking in London" for a great track.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   

You forgot my star.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Ok here's another

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Awesome Thanks!

With any luck i'll have 5 million by the end of November!

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: redmage

I do think lot has changed music-wise since the 90s. I kind of think that music albums, in general, are a lost art. I also know there are lots of great artists out there doing what they love simply for the creative process or for sharing art etc, and probably always will be! Good news

top topics

<<   2 >>

join