It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Post-Modern American Liberalism

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

For some it is pretty traumatic.

For some, not so much.

I've seen women treat it as a matter of course with no concern. I wondered privately if they were lying to themselves, or psychopaths. Its hard for me to grapple with personally. So i try to not think to much on it.

It's probably less traumatic to them than the alternative (which could include giving birth to the child conceived through rape or incest and having to deal with that man on childcare issues.) One woman I know felt that way - her rapist had so thoroughly violated her that the abortion was welcome relief.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Um...while that may be the "heart strings" story, of the 10 or so abortions im specifically aware of, none of them were raped or had any other issues other than inconvenience (for whatever reason).

I usually share personal stories on stuff....this one im not going to. But i've not seen many "good reasons" for abortions. Other than its none of my business anyway, that is.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

For some it is pretty traumatic.

For some, not so much.

I've seen women treat it as a matter of course with no concern. I wondered privately if they were lying to themselves, or psychopaths. Its hard for me to grapple with personally. So i try to not think to much on it.

It is traumatic for everyone. Their outward "affect" or "behavior" has nothing to do with it. It is not something someone walks away from indifferently.

Serial killers and professional psychopaths, on the other hand, don't feel anything at all. They pretend. Did you see where Trump acknowledged in the AP interview last week that "you have to have heart"? He said he didn't realize that you had to have 'heart' to be the POTUS.

He said 'in business there is no 'heart' involved.'
apnews.com...

AP: You've talked a little bit about the way that you've brought some business skills into the office. Is there anything from your business background that just doesn't translate into the presidency, that just simply is not applicable to this job?

TRUMP: Well in business, you don't necessarily need heart, whereas here, almost everything affects people. So if you're talking about health care — you have health care in business but you're trying to just negotiate a good price on health care, et cetera, et cetera. You're providing health. This is (unintelligible). Here, everything, pretty much everything you do in government, involves heart, whereas in business, most things don't involve heart.

AP: What's that switch been like for you?

TRUMP: In fact, in business you're actually better off without it.

AP: What's making that switch been like for you?

TRUMP: You have to love people. And if you love people, such a big responsibility. (unintelligible) You can take any single thing, including even taxes. I mean we're going to be doing major tax reform.

Here's part of your story, it's going to be a big (unintelligible). Everybody's saying, "Oh, he's delaying." I'm not delaying anything. I'll tell you the other thing is (unintelligible).

I used to get great press. I get the worst press. I get such dishonest reporting with the media. That's another thing that really has — I've never had anything like it before. It happened during the primaries, and I said, you know, when I won, I said, "Well the one thing good is now I'll get good press." And it got worse. (unintelligible) So that was one thing that a little bit of a surprise to me. I thought the press would become better, and it actually, in my opinion, got more nasty.

Yet, I heard a guy on NPR today say that was all just a "schtick" and that in small groups he's cogent and lucid and thoughtful.

edit on 4/26/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

i've met a few celebrities, due to the work i do. Not many, mind you, but a few. Their private persona is rarely like what you see publicly.

My boss met Robin Williams once at a shin dig in Dallas (my boss ran a big hotel/event center). He said Robin Williams was somewhat quiet, and very polite. But when he was in front of poeple working, he flipped a switch and became this enormous persona we all know.

Im sure that the impact of an abortion is bigger than outwardly expressed. While im not going to want to legally make decisions for others, for me personally i do not like it and would hate to hear that a child of mine had been aborted. That would be very difficult for me, actually. Probably something best handled not at all, but if you must, you should do it over the phone.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: GodEmperor

It is not. It is obvious that our activity is AT LEAST exacerbating the already changing climate. You can't continue to pour toxins into the air that are known to cause temperatures to rise and then pretend those toxins didn't really cause the temp to rise.

That's like saying placing a pot of water over a flame doesn't prove that the flame makes the water hot. It's ridiculous.

Whether or not my goals are achievable is utterly impossible to prove. And your whole thread here is just a toxic attack on liberals anyway. You've been given the information now. We didn't even charge you for it. So getting huffy is inappropriate. The key to effective problem solving is to look at ALL of the possible ways of achieving an objective, and then select (or develop) the best way to get there.

Step by step. One move at a time. It is absolutely possible to achieve what I envision. You naysaying it doesn't change that. It just makes it more difficult. Belligerence has no place in progressive thinking.

Toxins? Did you know that every single vitamin and nutrient people rely on to live have toxicity levels. Do you want people to act to stop the climate from changing? Move to cleaner energies? We already are, and have been for a hundred years. The carbon output from wood burning was the worst, which was the primary source for millenia. We switched to coal, which was less carbon output than wood, but dirtier than oil. Now the shift has been to natural gas, which will take time, I know this newer generation it has to happen immediately rather than slowly but surely. After natural gas has become dominant, humans primary source will eventually shift to hydrogen (no carbon output). You want to act immediately on something that is already occurring naturally.

The sun is what makes everything hot, the flame would represent the sun, not CO2.

There is not enough evidence to conclude that CO2 levels are what is causing the warming trend, it's a little more complex of a system than that. This dire catastrophe, actually isn't so bad, maybe not as good for some, but good for others. Climate change is a non-issue, this is the horrible outcome of human activity on Earth, according to NASA:

On average, Earth will become warmer. Some regions may welcome warmer temperatures, but others may not.

climate.nasa.gov...

It is especially a non-issue, since the technology has been steadily getting better in terms of carbon output. The problem lies in the ever growing population of people.

The key to EFFECTIVE problem solving, is to first identify the PROBLEM. That is where you have fallen short, creating problems out of non-issues is not the way to go. Your objectives are the problem, we did not create civilization to protect the planet, we created civilization to protect US from the planet. The environment the left has created for people is antithetical to the laws of nature, and threaten the longevity of the human race.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   

The key to EFFECTIVE problem solving, is to first identify the PROBLEM.

Absolutely correct. Your route notwithstanding, you got it right.

You must first identify the problem. Then discuss goals, and obstacles. Then design a plan to tackle each obstacle until the endzone is open. Then you have succeeded.

That is where you have fallen short, creating problems out of non-issues is not the way to go.

No.
I haven't fallen short, and the problems are apparent to anyone paying attention. I don't know what your hostility is all about, and hope you get over it. Meanwhile, now you have some answers from real live Post-Modern American Liberals as to what we are all about.

I hope you paid attention, but even if not, this post will stay here for your review whenever you are ready. You were angry with us to begin with, so it's no big deal if you still are, but at least now you have some notes to review next time you get flummoxed by our cognitive functions (and our articulate literacy. And expertise.) and the facts, as opposed to the ....................

whatever

edit on 4/28/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I hate that they even claim the term "liberal" when they support authoritarian dictates.

And (ahhahahaha) call it "anarchy". Most people don't know whether they are coming or going these days. I sometimes wonder if, paradoxically, that's why identity politics is so appealing for folks at the moment. If everyone standing with you at looks like you, at least you feel like you belong.
edit on 28-4-2017 by redhorse because: writing is hard

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I hate that they even claim the term "liberal" when they support authoritarian dictates.

Well, since you DON'T HAVE the slightest idea what we "support," your 'hate' is a waste of energy and time. We 'hate' that you even claim to know anything about what we support or think. Yeah. Remember that other time we talked?

Yeah.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join