It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Post-Modern American Liberalism

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Very strange indeed.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   
So whats the score in the culture war?

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   

I suppose they came closest with the pink-hats. I'm not a violent or mean person, ever. I'm not selfish, or greedy, and I don't care if someone likes boys or girls better, or wants to wear a dress or a crewcut. I don't care.
I don't care if they want to go to church. But I do care when they abuse their kids, malign good citizens with hatred, and vote for ridiculous nincompoops. Bombs and lies and greed. Not my thing.

edit on 4/23/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

There is no score. The game just keeps going. No one ever wins. Like Cameron's game on Halt and Catch Fire. You just get to keep playing. No prizes, no score, no "end." No winner.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

You'd think that, but the way the players play the game, they obviously have an end goal on both sides.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

I suppose they came closest with the pink-hats. I'm not a violent or mean person, ever. I'm not selfish, or greedy, and I don't care if someone likes boys or girls better, or wants to wear a dress or a haircut. I don't care.
I don't care if they want to go to church. But I do care when they abuse their kids, malign good citizens with hatred, and vote for ridiculous nincompoops.

Buzzy, you're values are shared by me and almost 300 mil other Americans. For what its worth.

Its crazy how much we are all alike, when we ignore the s### stirrers on TV.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   

"Both sides"...you mean like 2 ends of the same snake?

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   

I've never seen a snake that has a head where a tail should be.

edit: Also, their would probably need to be like 50 heads to more accurately describe how we are being pulled.

Interlaced groups using each other.
edit on 23-4-2017 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Its not quite that non controlled....but maybe a hydra would be a better metaphor.

to me, its obvious there is money controlling things from the top. Not totally, obviously. But there is a "big dog" who get to claim first feeding on any kill. Its why Trump bombed Syria and the negative news about him all but evaporated. That big dog had to deal with a new little dog.

I don't know who it is. But i bet the IC is a tool it uses.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Setting feelings aside,

A system based on infinite growth on a finite planet cannot sustain itself, and will collapse. To delay this process it is necessary for expansionary warfare over dwindling resources, especially fossil fuels. A culmination of the eventual world war between the eastern and western powers, or the collapse of America into a third world nation; that is the options available at the moment.

When matters didn’t go quite so smoothly, and when some groups in these liberal societies were in fact harmed by these developments, a degree of backlash was inevitable. It didn’t help that elites in many liberal countries made some critical blunders, including the creation of the euro, the invasion of Iraq, the misguided attempt to nation-build in Afghanistan, and the 2008 financial crisis. These and other mistakes helped undermine the legitimacy of the post-Cold War order, open the door to illiberal forces, and left some segments of society vulnerable to nativist appeals.

foreignpolicy.com...

I do pay attention to varying sources of media, it's interesting to note that a successful liberal order requires to destruction of cultural values and traditions. The increase in violent liberalism, while still being an outlier albeit quietly supported by the left as a whole, may very well be just the death throws of a failed ideology. I believe it goes deeper than that, but that is unprovable.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

You're welcome, folks. Do try to educate yourselves more accurately about what liberal progressives are really about.

I love that. I have to admit, I am exhausted to the point of despair with all the labeling. They shoot horses - don't they?

:-)

Not quite there yet. But, honestly

It's all almost meaningless now - like information and facts in general. But I am digging the idea of right leaning persons taking on the task of educating themselves about what the liberal scourge is really all about

You are seriously an optimist Buzzy. Hats off

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Yes, I am an optimist. A noisy one.
It is my general disposition to be optimistic and to problem solve rather than give up and watch the thing die. I'll do what I can until I can't do it anymore. That might be due to burn-ut, annihilation, censorship, or loss of my faculties, I don't know. But I will continue to write and opine and spread information despite being trolled, mocked, ridiculed, hated, or misrepresented.

We have to!

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: GodEmperor

If you set it all aside then zoom out to 50k feet you can see a solid trend towards greater individual freedom. Even more...no matter what humanity will need to set aside traditionalism.

Our technology is standing at the rim of the uncanny valley. We have no option but to adapt. Not to say the identity politics we all hate is the new order....but traditional structures are already dead. Humanity just hasnt come to terms enough to really acknowledge it

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   

...but traditional structures are already dead. Humanity just hasnt come to terms enough to really acknowledge it

I've made several comments recently about how tired I am of labels. Those labels prevent us from thinking, and they're not even accurate. Not for any of us. I end up being put into a box that doesn't always fit. We all do

Maybe we've reached the end of our democracy. Not as an ideal, but as a functional reality. Traditional structures - and all that. It's really got me wondering lately

Something is not right - somewhere, somehow

Forget about the parts of this that are about Trump. I'm not trying to sneak anything in or proselytize. The rest of it is interesting without Trump. For me - a left leaning idealist - I'm not sure where to go with this. It got my attention

Democracies end when they are too democratic.

As this dystopian election campaign has unfolded, my mind keeps being tugged by a passage in Plato’s Republic. It has unsettled — even surprised — me from the moment I first read it in graduate school. The passage is from the part of the dialogue where Socrates and his friends are talking about the nature of different political systems, how they change over time, and how one can slowly evolve into another. And Socrates seemed pretty clear on one sobering point: that “tyranny is probably established out of no other regime than democracy.”

Which started me reading counter arguments - which also got me going:
Democrats are as much to blame as Republicans for the conditions that produced Trumpism.

There is so much more out there I won't bother to post it all. People pointing fingers at Hillary, at Bernie - at each other - at the GOP...at Putin

Without going out of my way to insult the OP and his halfhearted attempt to have a real discussion - I do think it's worth talking about. This bickering back and forth about who is the most evil is just stupid

Something is happening, and I'm only afraid that we won't have time to get it under control if we waste all our time with this nonsense. I'm not even talking about ATS - it's everywhere. And not even just in this country

edit on 4/23/2017 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Consider language to be data transfer. Its incredibly slow and lossy. We try to compress ideas into single words that just arent adequate to transfer the information related to nuance. It doesnt work very well. Add to that the fact we still have to interpret what was said when its heard (ie, decode it) and it becomes more lossy.

And we use this communication method daily to try to discuss very complex ideas with enormous amounts of nuance. And it inevitably breaks down as being a staggeringly inaedquate method of communication.

Funny thing is...no one really realizes this. They instead jump to conclusions when they fail to properly decode the information. Worse...they become angry when you point out that they didnt understand you. Its like you have to sneak past their ego to even have a chance.
edit on 4/23/2017 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

There is no controlling what is coming, this planet is a self-correcting system, and the correction is coming. Morality has little to do with just about anything, it's a relative thing, and it doesn't matter who is the 'most good'. What matters is who will survive, and who will thrive in the coming change.

I think you are beginning to see things a little more clearly. In the fight for democracy freedom is lost, you cannot fight for both that is counter-productive. The advent of technology has enabled absolute control over the entire planet, every aspect of human activity from birth until death can, and will, be monitored and controlled.

The only hope, the only thing that you should be fighting for, is who or what has that kind of power to rule over Earth. Do you want it to be a Global Democracy that eventually leads to Global Dictatorship, or would you prefer an Artificial Intelligence that does not choose favorites (ie special interests, the wealthy etc.)?

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Lol... Problem: Conservatives project violent intentions on people who pretty much just want peace and togetherness.

Solution: Conservatives buy guns and assure everyone they're ready for war.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
This whole post is incoherent.

Why are you assuming that their values - their political convictions - derive from "soviet" propaganda? That is completely unreal. Why do you think their views are unrelated to their life experiences? Why are you so shallow and cynical in your assumptions - so that you only emphasize "soviet" intrusion into our thought processes, rather than philosophical reflection unrelated to primitive tribal instincts?

It's philosophy. It's about "making coherent" your particular life experiences, your sense of self, as it relates to the way the world around you works. Since intuitively - or understanding theoretically - that the social world regulates the internal personal world, in that the way people treat us affects how we anticipate/expect other people to act (actually shaping our brain) - it makes total sense that a persons political/philosophical position is MOST LIKELY a function of an organic development - and not some conspiracy against the 'truth' of your position.

You have to recognize the reality of this. Your views derive from YOUR context. Your brain-mind has been shaped by different cues, different affective processes and different interpretive mechanisms.

(post by Teikiatsu removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: GodEmperor

The only hope, the only thing that you should be fighting for, is who or what has that kind of power to rule over Earth.

Yeah, just - no

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join