It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Bid to Keep Citizens Safe, Germany Bans Cayla the Talking Doll

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Looks like Germany is on to a spy ring that uses a toy talking doll.

Apparently they have issued warnings and asked people to destroy the damn things !

And of course, you can't buy it anymore either.

Meet Cayla the Talking Doll. The "Innocent" spy !

In Bid to Keep Citizens Safe, Germany Bans… Cayla the Talking Doll

Earlier this year, Lisa Harmann received a warning from the German government: A spy might be lurking in her child’s bedroom. She should find it and destroy it.

With their 10-year-old daughter sound asleep, Ms. Harmann and her husband sneaked into the room armed with a flashlight and soon found the culprit sitting inside the cupboard, sporting a frozen smile and billowing pink skirt.

Despite her innocent looks, “My Friend Cayla” isn’t a doll—at least not in the eyes of German authorities—but an illegal eavesdropping device. On Feb. 17, after a lengthy investigation, the Federal Network Agency, Germany’s top telecommunications watchdog, issued an order to parents to find Cayla and destroy her. It also banned its sale, purchase and ownership.

“It’s about the protection of the weakest in our society,” said Jochen Homann, president of the body known as Bundesnetzagentur….

2nd story...
Germany has banned the My Friend Cayla dolls, which are also the subject of a complaint by privacy groups in the U.S. who say the toys spy on children

edit on Apr-20-2017 by xuenchen because: icantalkandlistentoo

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

THIS is why we need to slow down AI.

Anything can be hacked - even a very simple talking doll. Imagine what could be achieve by hacking something that has mobility, sight and hearing.....

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973

Anything can be hacked - even a very simple talking doll. Imagine what could be achieve by hacking something that has mobility, sight and hearing.....

You mean like an smart phone...😱

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Or a tablet.

Or cam.

Instead of banning it and trying to fine people $26 grand for those that dont'.

Secure it and run antivirus/firewall.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pandaram

originally posted by: markosity1973

You mean like an smart phone...😱

*throws Samsung down very deep well*

I more meant something capable of independent movement ie a walking talking robot.

Hackers could easily target such a device and use it for malevolent purposes up to and including endangering life.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   

What do they think is happening with Siri on these kids' iPhones ?

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Is every Cayla talking doll a spy or just a percentage? Because you know, that would be dollapohbia

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I've read that Hello Barbie does the same thing.... crazy times to be a kid.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Wow.

And yet, the selling of smart phones and smart tv's that spy upon us continues on unabated....

Although, according to the second article in the op, the doll also praises and pushes certain commercial products, such as Disney movies. I think this is the most egregious of the doll's offenses. Retail manufacturers are always looking for a way to make a buck, but marketing a doll that's basically an ongoing commercial as a child's best buddy, someone the child can talk to and confide in, is lower than low. It's a way to make parents pay for a bunch of commercials wrapped in cheap Chinese plastic.

As for the spying, surely everyone has figured out that if it involves tech and/or is linked to the internet, you're probably being spied upon. That's simply a fact of life in this day and age.

But if a country is going to ban the doll...why only the doll and not other products that we know have the ability to spy on us and can also be taken over by a third party?

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: imitator
I've read that Hello Barbie does the same thing.... crazy times to be a kid.
'

MAkes me want to be one again.

All the cool stuff they have now.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I wonder if Alexa, Echo, or Google Home are legal in Germany?

I would never want any of those spy devices.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: DustbowlDebutante
Exactly right. I guess people figure adults are more responsible, at least some are but smart phones(Amazon devices need to be addressed too) can listen even when off, never mind if you don't web cams and laptop cameras correctly you can still be seen. Though, that doll and others like it, need not be around due to abuses in privacy, being around children, families and all.

new topics

top topics

join