It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Sends Nuke Sniffer Plane to Korea

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   
This is a report from South Korea's Yonhap News Agency.

The plane was sent to Japan last month but the plane was dispatched to the Korean peninsula today for an "emergency sortie". The story also states an "unconfirmed rumor" that NK has informed China of an upcoming nuclear test.

The U.S. Air Force dispatched a nuclear sniffer aircraft Thursday to the east of the Korean Peninsula amid the possibility of North Korea's imminent nuclear test, a government source said.

"The WC-135 Constant Phoenix, a special-purpose U.S. plane, made an emergency sortie today over the East Sea," the source said, requesting anonymity.

Its mission is to collect samples from the atmosphere in order to detect and identity a nuclear explosion.

I would imagine these types of flights are routine at this point and not an "emergency" but I could be wrong about that. Maybe they have intelligence of an impending nuke test.

There was an unconfirmed rumor that North Korea has notified China of its nuclear experiment plan.

South Korea's military said earlier the North seems all set to conduct what would be its sixth nuclear test at its Punggye-ri site in its northeastern region anytime on the leadership's decision.

So is this a routine fly by NK with the sniffer plane or do you think something is about to happen?

EDIT TO ADD:

CNN is reporting that China has put their bombers on High Alert.

The US is seeing evidence that the Chinese military is preparing for a potential North Korea contingency, a US defense official told CNN Thursday. Chinese air force land-attack, cruise-missile-capable bombers were put "on high alert" on Wednesday, the official said, adding that the US has also seen an extraordinary number of Chinese military aircraft being brought up to full readiness through intensified maintenance.

edit on 20-4-2017 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I think the Norks are preparing for another nuclear test.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Things are developing faster than I thought.

I wonder if it will just get cold or... *BUM* anytime.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Most likely, the question is, how do you think the US will respond?

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   
In the Gundam Universe an invention was created called the neutron cancellor jammer.

That more or less killed nuclear power.

I wish the real world would invent such a thing so all the bs would end.
edit on 20-4-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder

Trillion dollar question?

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

This is not really news. The plane has been in the area for a while.

Here's Zaphod58's post stating the WC-135 had to make an emergency landing in Indonesia from March 25 of this year.
ATS, WW3 forum, North Korea Watch 2017: WC-135 emergency landing.

It is "news" because... "OMG! Nuclear bomb!!" is what they (MSM) wants you think. Since the beginning of the year DPRK has said they were going to perform a test whenever the leaders see fit. Since then the US has been monitoring including the sniffer plane. We will take any and all information we can get...

BBCnews.com - North Korea tension: Volleyball spotted in nuclear test site.

Including the state run North Korean television.

Its OK, we know they are going to do a test this year. Maybe up to four or five. And what is Fonzie like?

edit on 20-4-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: fix link

edit on 20-4-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: stupid autocorrect

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Thats a very interesting proposition. I know research has to exist in the effort to clean up nuclear disasters....currently radiation is dealt with, with materials of high density, lead, or very thick layers of stone that catch or slow down the release of radiation to tolerable levels... it has to be possible to cancel out the reaction. But what would the effects be?

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Not likely that the US will start anything. South Korea is a major ally. Any war with the North would cause the loss of Soul as the NK has thousands of artillery pieces in place aimed at it. So the South is not going to start a war. It will be a out-of-control North Korea started war or none.

If the North decides that they have nothing to lose but their lives, then they will trigger the deed by attempting some launches.

However, we can imagine that cooler heads in every relevant country are furiously at work to get Little Kim removed.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Hammer, meet head of nail.

No saying... But if we take Pence's most recent speech at face value then near future military response is not out of the question.

All i have to say is that if the US does decide to hit the DPRK they better do so in an extraordinarily large and effective manner, either through black ops sabotage or with some insanely large scale stealth bombing/cyber theater attacks that they are 100% certain will take the Norks off line.

Anything short of that is basically green lighting a North Korean assault of Seoul.

We could be witnessing the most rapid escalation of events to ever take place with North Korea. They don't have any qualms about fighting... Even if Kim knows that the DPRK is bound to be toppled by a military campaign... It seems like he may be resolute enough with the 'we may not win the war but we're going to cause as much damage as we can on the way out' attitude.

Scary situation to watch unfold.
edit on 20-4-2017 by AnonyMason because: sp gr

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Great question.

Here is what I think.
NK's criminal activity is a known.

There is more here being observed and measured.
I think this next test will be allowed to proceed...and that the US is primarily watching what China does in response to it.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Aeshma

It appears different kinds of radiation can be attracted or repelled by magnetic fields, allowing those types of radiation to be seperated in a way.... i wonder if it would be possible to stabilize those particles individuakly... it wouldnt stop radiation from ocurring but allow one to control the particles responsible for harm. It would be exorbantly complicated how ever. Im going to keep reading and pleasure my mind. I have no idea how this would work but its neat to contemplate.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I was under the impression they could detect nuclear detonations from space as well as seismic activity. Would this plane just have more sensitive equipment to detect more real time?

NVM Wiki helped me. lol

The Constant Phoenix’s modifications are primarily related to the aircraft's on-board atmospheric collection suite, which allows the mission crew to detect radioactive debris "clouds" in real time. The aircraft is equipped with external flow-through devices to collect particulates on filter paper and a compressor system for whole air samples collected in high-pressure holding spheres. Despite the different designations, both the C and W carry the same mission equipment (similar to the RC-135V and W aircraft).

edit on 20-4-2017 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

I know the plane has been in the region for a little while now, however the story is calling it's flight today an "emergency sortie". That's what caught my attention though like I said, I would think these flights would be routine now

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

I missed the "emergency sortie" portion. D'oh!

China is kind of peeved of NK for not easing tensions. Here's to KJU not doing something stupid

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I wouldn't put much stock in the "emergency" part, as it comes from the usual anonymous government sources. As pointed out in a previous post, they were heading to Okinawa already last month. They were delayed 10 days while waiting on a maintenance crew and engine after losing one in Indonesia.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: GuidedKill

Yeah, they don't carry similar equipment to the RC. The RC-135V/W is designed to intercept signals and translate them in real time. Constant Phoenix is designed to take air samples and analyze radioactive particles, and gather as much information from them as possible.

If you look at the pictures, that piece that sticks off the side of the fuselage is their collection device. The difference between the C and the W is that the C is a modified EC-135C, and doesn't have reverse thrust. The W is a modified C-135B, and does.
edit on 4/20/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Ahhhh gamma rays... a gamma ray is electromagnetic radiation, it is a wave finer than the thickness of an atom. It oscilates at an unfathomable level, and as some may know gamma rays travel the universe causing chaos at anatomic level. It sounds like one could redirect and capture alpha and beta particles which are considered some of the most destructive to organic organisms. Gamma rays are so fine they pass through many substances and never collide with anything but when they do they ionize atoms changing them. The idea of a device to control radiation is amazing, and i really want to think on this more if even to make up something for science fiction, but the trapped particles would still have to be dealt with. Then the gamma rays... most will escape but some will collide with the device that is creating the magnetic field, as well as the material meant to capture alpha and beta particles.

Gamma rays being electromagnetic oscillations are also capable of disturbing the magnetic fields themselves allowing some alpha and beta decay out.

I do how ever wonder if one could create an oscillating magnetic field to counteract a gamma ray?
I dont understand how fast 10 exahertz is but it sounds tremendously fast and unlikely we could produce a magnetic field that osciliates anywhere near that fast with out well a nuclear reaction.

Playing with science we never understood was our races first mistake. Tears of the sun.
edit on PMAmerica/Chicago110104pm by Aeshma because: Fix typing mistakes... i ues a tablet for ats

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aeshma
a reply to: Aeshma

It appears different kinds of radiation can be attracted or repelled by magnetic fields, allowing those types of radiation to be seperated in a way.... i wonder if it would be possible to stabilize those particles individuakly... it wouldnt stop radiation from ocurring but allow one to control the particles responsible for harm. It would be exorbantly complicated how ever. Im going to keep reading and pleasure my mind. I have no idea how this would work but its neat to contemplate.

The only thing it really has to do is produce an em wave strong enough to interfere with electrons in fission reactions.

Making everyone essentially a dud.

I got it wrong it's just neutron jammer.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   
The mission isn't necessarily to sniff for nuke test debris, it could be sensitive enough to detect deployment of devices or materials as they are transported about.

<<   2 >>

join