It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

new sight makes RPG a lot more deadly

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   
RPG-7 introduced in 1961. Cheap. More than 9 million launchers built. Countless rounds. Versatile. HEAT rounds. Tandem HEAT rounds. HE FRAG rounds. Thermobaric rounds.

Belarus company makes new sight. Consists of digital fire control computer and laser rangefinder and various air data sensors. Inputs round type, activates laser rangefinder to lase, computer projects where to aim for an accurate shot. 3 times magnification.

www.thefirearmblog.com...
edit on 19-4-2017 by allsee4eye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: allsee4eye

I'll take 5 cases. Thank you.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   
That is pretty neat and would really make this thing much more capable. On the downside, it will be used on us for the most part.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   

my sister pops those clay discs with a 9mm pistol and everyone else uses shotguns lol. BUT... give me one of those scopes and I'll finally show her who's boss

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Idreamofme

my sister pops those clay discs with a 9mm pistol and everyone else uses shotguns lol. BUT... give me one of those scopes and I'll finally show her who's boss

While you are fingering all of those buttons and activating the laser and such like, she would have placed 3 rounds through your forehead.

You lose.

P

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   
That's hilarious. But you're right she could shoot a mosquito in the head if she meant to

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Looks like the guy in the pic still has the lens cap on.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   

One thing that has always somewhat surprised me about RPG launchers with optics on them, is how the recoil of launching does not drive the optic into the eyesocket of the user. I imagine there is a technique to avoiding that, but given the position ones arms have to be in, in order that the controls can be manipulated and the weapon stabilised, I am damned if I can figure out how it is done.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Not cheap anymore then...

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Yeah and most of the scopes have a ruber protection covering the lens, so even it hits your eyesocket, it won't hurt a thing.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   

I don't think there is any recoil from rpg7's

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

No recoil from launching a round between 2.5 and 4.5kg in weight?

I call shenanigans!

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Sure I've read it somewhere.

No expert by any means though!

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Tekaran

Definitely has the cap on lol

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Well...

It turns out that you are right there. Apparently the only effect a user is likely to encounter, is the sudden lightness of the tube, once the round has left the thing. How bloody strange!

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   

It's like a recoil less rifles

The round goes forward and in the case of a R.R the casing goes out the back so there is very little recoil for a large round.

Pretty neat

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   
One of the things that made RPGs popular was their simplicity. Now they are not so simple.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tekaran
Looks like the guy in the pic still has the lens cap on.

If its a night vision sight you leave the lens cap on it during the day as the lens cap has a pin hole in it to cut down the light.
I see another leather cap hanging there that likely goes over the lens cap.
And if you look at the next photo the front part on the sight is not there and likely the NV part of the sight.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   

There's essentially no recoil from firing an RPG-7...

This is why there's that rocket nozzle looking deal at the back. Also why you really need a certain cubic volume and minimum distance between the back of the launcher and a wall.

If I remember correctly though the rpg-7 is more suited for confined space firing than many other recoilless weapons because it uses a dual rocket motor setup where the kicker motor that ejects it from the launcher burns out before the back end of the rocket has left the launcher. It then flies on a standard parabolic ballistic path with the sustainer rocket motor igniting far enough from the launcher and guy holding it to not require a see through blast deflector mounted towards the front of the launcher.

This sustainer rocket motor is what imparts the vast majority of the kinetic energy to the projectile, which has the advantage of smaller back blast area I already mentioned. However it also results in some pretty pronounced disadvantages. The largest disadvantage being that the flight path is a bizarre double parabola, which results in the reputation it has for poor accuracy.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 02:24 AM
link   
The sight's nice and all, but it sort of flies in the face of what makes the RPG so popular.

The RPG is a simple, light weight, rugged, easy to use and powerful piece of kit. Any semi-literate, mud house dwelling local can learn to fire it in a few minutes.

The original optic sight on the RPG is actually quite good once you get used to it. However if you take a look at many of the examples found in Afghanistan or Syria they have had the optic removed as it was too complicated and bulky. Often RPG warheads are known to veer off in their own little world after a couple of hundred meters in many circumstances, probably due to shoddy quality control at point of production. Sticking a complicated sight on it is like mud flaps on a submarine.

This sight may be useful for trained troops, but I don't think the cost, training and weight compromises are worth it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join