It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skin made to order ... on a printer! (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Scientists are stating that they will be able to "print" skin in 2010.
They are also now looking into the possibility of using this same technology to do the same for bones and organs.
This would be a great replacement for "stem cell" research that has been stopped here in the US.
One the surface, this would be a fantastic breakthrough especially for burn victims or even victims of a very tramatic event (Severe auto accident Cehmical burns, etc.)

www.msnbc.msn.com
By manufacturing human skin cells using a printer similar to an inkjet, scientists have taken a significant first step toward generating new skin. The process, which could revolutionize the treatment of major skin wounds, could be ready for clinical trials in five years.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Science is great but this is gretting to be a might scary in the ethics department. I would think that if / when they are able to start to "print" skin, bones, organs etc. what is to prevent them from taking it a step further and creating a full "human" being using this process. I do not see why they could not if they are able to go as far as they believe they will be able to. This to me is on par with Cloning.
There is another thing to take into account. If the scienists just stay the course that they are on now, it could even lead to longer (read immortal) lives as they will be able to replace tired, worn out skin and body parts.
Then of course there is the possibility of the following ads " Ladies, want to look like that Young, Beautiful Sexy 20 year old? Come to your nearest UPS store and we will give you the skin that you had when you were young!

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Scientists have been making skin for many years. I saw a show several years ago where doctors did skins grafts on a guy with skin they made in the lab. Real skin!

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Uhh, you did hear about that Lizard they discovered where all the males went extinct and the females became A-Sexual and reproduced by creating a genetic duplicate of themselves. Basically natural cloning, really cool stuff IMHO. BTW I cannot wait till they start to grow organs on demand, I would feel kind of odd about taking a donated organ from a pig though, would much rather have it grown in a "test tube" so to speak. I see nothing wrong with this and only hope the Open Source movement can make something out of this eventually. Open Source Biotech, now there is where the future is at.

new topics

join