It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

rub it out

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

I use brown sugar and coarse sea salt to cure salmon. Then I hit it in the smoker for a tiny bit.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Oops. Sorry I thought this thread was still live. Didn't mean to troll it and leave a whole page of Sillyolme here.
Really. Sorry.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Lemon, olive oil, celtic sea salt, garlic and cumin.
You're welcome.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Many facets to old tiny

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

So I'm finding.
Isn't it funny how members who are at each other's throats in political threads can come together over a pot of stone soup?
I love humans for this very reason. Passions that flow in every direction makes for an interesting and fun life.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

So I'm finding.
Isn't it funny how members who are at each other's throats in political threads can come together over a pot of stone soup?
I love humans for this very reason. Passions that flow in every direction makes for an interesting and fun life.

Yup.
I don't take any of that # out of those threads.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Smart.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

I love this cuban adobo rub on a pork tenderloin:

1 Tablespoon Sea Salt
3 Tablespoons Garlic Powder
2 Tablespoons Oregano
1 Tablespoon Black Pepper
1 Tablespoon Turmeric
1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
1 Tablespoon Cumin

We grill it, and then slice it up for tacos. So delicious!

(And freshly ground spices are definitely tastier!)

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I just made pork taco's a couple nights ago. I make them 2-3 times a month using "carnitas" (pork shoulder pieces used to make tamales usually). Im going to have to use your rub.

You ever smoke it, or cook it till it falls apart like pulled pork?

When i make pork tacos, i either will mix in a bit of pineapple or i will make a slaw using a grated apple.

My left over slaw from the other night is going into tonights catfish tacos.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

We don't have a smoker, but that sounds delicious. I make a pickled cabbage that has apple cider vinegar, but slaw with apples sounds awesome. We usually roast some corn to stuff inside, too.

I've never made pork shoulder, but I am going to try it next time.

edit on 20-4-2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

You can make a whole pork shoulder in the oven that is really good. Put it in a foil pan, cover it with your rub, and roast it for about 6 hours on 300.

It'll develop a thick, crispy bark on it, and the inside will be fall apart. The challenge is to not eat all the bark while shredding the shoulder down, because its better if you get little pieces of the bark mixed in.

Don't try to do it in a crock pot. Pork butt and shoulder needs higher heat (the connective tissues don't break down till you hit about 200 degrees, and crocks only hit about 180 typically, causing tough rubbery meat).

Ill also build a small bed of coals in the corner of a grill, and use smoking chips to help add in a smoke flavor over the last 2 hours. Its not hard to keep a grill at a stable 325-350 for a short period. The smoke flavor isn't as deep, but it does help season it a bit. Ill also use smoked paprika and chipotles to fake a smoke flavor in the rub.
edit on 4/20/2017 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I've made that. I think I had a thread with pics.
Awesome

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

I've made that. I think I had a thread with pics.
Awesome

i like it because its fairly cheap (11 bucks or so for a butt or shoulder) and can be frozen for 2-4 more meals a few weeks down the road (just add in some carolina vinegar sauce and reheat in a covered pan in the oven). Making the protein cost really low for a pretty good quality piece of meat.

Brisket isn't anywhere near that value, although i do love me some brisket.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
I just made pork taco's a couple nights ago. I make them 2-3 times a month using "carnitas" (pork shoulder pieces used to make tamales usually). Im going to have to use your rub.

Have you ever done pibili? I want to give this a shot in the backyard and do a outdoor taco party.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

With goat, its a pretty common food in this area. With pork....never tried it.

Of course we don't use banana leaves. Burd can tell you about his method for cooking goat....he's done it a lot more than me. But using chicken wire and burlap sacks helps sub in for banana leaves.

Achiote paste is someting i never run out of. Its how you get that really bright orange/red in your asado.

If you do some pork, let me know how it works out for you. Im gonna be doing some PTO next week, so maybe ill do a pork shoulder. Or see if i can shake up a cow head and make some barbacoa. Ill post pics somewhere here, too.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Cool, I'll ask him. I can get the banana leaves from the Mexican store near me and they always have achiote. I didn't think of using goat but I like chivo so that could be a possibility.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 12:52 AM
link   
If youre cooking fish take a mortar and grind up garlic, raw ginger some thai peppers a dollop of honey and cumin. Grind it into a paste. Salt as desired. Marinade and bake fish in sauce. Also mash up the ginger first and pre cook it for 10minutes before introducing it to the rest of the sauce. Helps sweeten. And carmelize the ginger a bunch.

Leave out the ginger and it makes a awesome thai style bbq ribs. Go light on the ginger and cumin but do not skip the cumin part it focuses and frames the flavor palette of the dish.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 03:02 AM
link   

I really love turmeric. I add it to all dishes.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   
This guy....OMG. Jeff Bexten makes a series of rubs called "Bextens Best" and they are good enough that I don't see a need to make my own for the time being:

bextensbackwoodsbbq.com...

Good on meats, veggies, etc. You can mix/match rubs. The mango-habanero one is the best seller, and is worth a try.

I had to force myself to buy some because my experience is rubs are generally terrible. But everyone kept raving about it. Now i know why.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join