It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Misquoting Jesus in the Bible

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 03:33 AM
link   
posted @ 3:33

3 days after easter

Dr. Ehrman wrote a book on this subject, but he also gave quite a few lectures reveling a lot of what was discussed in his book

This video is from Stamford University, outlining said book...

Unfortunately i don't have much to say about this video... extremely amusing yet in depth, probably not for Christians

I would recommend you read the book to get the full picture

P.s

Forgive the length of the video, but its Bart Ehrman

edit on 19-4-2017 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Bart Ehrman? That Bart Ehrman who stopped being a christian because he finally figured out that the bible wasnt perfect.
Really
Well it isnt news to many christians Ak

In fact if you read the two Genesis stories you will note that the bible is not perfect from the begining.

Only a few christians think its infallible, kinda like the Catholics think the pope is infallible

Its not news, Mr Ehrman renounced his faith in Christ because he found out the bible had some errors.
What it sounds like is Mr Ehrman had more faith in the bible than he had in Jesus Christ.

Now what does the bible say about itself?
Lets see
2 Timothy 3:16

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitablefor teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

Romans 15:4
For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

in fact, here you go
www.openbible.info...

Nothing about the bible being infallible, nothing I can see as Mr Ehrman expected.
Seems to suggest the bible is only a book, a book pointing to the perfect truth that is the person of the Christ

Ehrman was a little silly, his faith rested on the bible, not on Jesus.

Just as an aside, this is for christians, Bart Ehrman idol worshiped the bible, lost focus on Christ, seen it happen many times
Glad you brought it up, think i did as well
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 19-4-2017 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 03:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

lol holy crap...

Dude... slow down a bit

There is a video involved here and the lecture on the subject is almost an hour long...

Don't judge a vid by its... author?

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 04:27 AM
link   
This info was the beginning of my studies of the Bible more than 30 years ago and began my sincere search for truth of the writings of the Bible. I was raised very Southern Baptist.

Because of the huge impact of religion in my life, I was consumed for many years educating myself through colleges, forums and studies of many religions. It transformed my life. I cannot understand why Christians are so afraid to study the history of a book.

At my conclusion, I discovered that my "soul" was not dependent on the Bible-it's within myself-it's personal-and that is how I raised my children-I wanted them not to accept just a cultural tradition but to educate themselves and decide for themselves religiosity and what is moral and purposeful in their lives. And they are quite moral, honest, caring and fair-one is "Christian" and the other believes the Bible is just fairy tales.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 05:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

lol holy crap...

Dude... slow down a bit

There is a video involved here and the lecture on the subject is almost an hour long...

Don't judge a vid by its... author?

Holy crap AK
It's Bart Ehrman, you know Bart Ehrman, I am not judging Bart Ehrman because I havnt watched his video, I am judging him because he put more faith in the bible than he did in Christ
How many videos should I watch, just the one you posted? Or are the other videos, books I have read and seen a good indication of his foibles

Or was that "don't judge the vid by its author" comment sarcasm, I am unsure

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 05:47 AM
link   

I am not judging Bart Ehrman because I havnt watched his video, I am judging him because he put more faith in the bible than he did in Christ

Christ...

which came from where?

How many videos should I watch, just the one you posted? Or are the other videos, books I have read and seen a good indication of his foibles

Idk..

watch or read what it takes to get with reality

edit on 19-4-2017 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 06:24 AM
link   

I am not judging Bart Ehrman because I havnt watched his video, I am judging him because he put more faith in the bible than he did in Christ

Christ...

which came from where?

Idk..

Thank you but no thank you
I don't want your gnosticish reality Ak, whatever it is

and yes I will call it gnostic because you hide what it is, I will call it what is sounds like, your special hidden truth

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   

I can't get past the Bible got slavery wrong. I understand it's all about righteousness and piety. But getting slavery wrong is one of the big ones.

When I read the Bible it feels more like the word of man than the word of God. I think the words are entrenched in the historical context in which they were written. The words are just as much the words of the men who wrote as much as they are in the spirit of God.

If the purpose of the Bible is to promote righteousness and piety, I think there may be other avenues that are just as effective and maybe more so in achieving that goal. If the purpose of the Bible is to gather numbers of authority worshiping sycophants then the Bible is pretty good the way it is right now.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   

why quote a bible version that has parts missing, changes words and phrases and therefore meanings of texts.

there is one complete and inerrant, inspired Bible because God's word says he will preserve his words to every generation forever.

Those who deny Christ before men he will deny before the father and his holy angels

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Bart Ehrman is my thought clone! The first 5 minutes of the video is exactly how I felt and my criticisms of the Bible words.

edit on 19-4-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Bart is from New Jersey. No wonder his views are like mine!

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Not a revelation. For centuries there ha been debate about what Jesus really said. Did Jesus say it, or did some medieval monk just kinda sorta invent a few things that Jesus said? One interesting book on the subject is "The Five Gospels" by the Jesus Project. They break it down in colors, of which O forget, so this is a paraphrase. If the text is in red, Jesus said it. If it's in lavender, he probably did say it. If it's in brown, he probably did not say it, and if it's in black, he probably did not say it. So in that context "misquoting" Jesus becomes problematical. Are you misquoting something he actually said, or are you misquoting something he never said at all?

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

I can't get past the Bible got slavery wrong. I understand it's all about righteousness and piety. But getting slavery wrong is one of the big ones.

When I read the Bible it feels more like the word of man than the word of God. I think the words are entrenched in the historical context in which they were written. The words are just as much the words of the men who wrote as much as they are in the spirit of God.

If the purpose of the Bible is to promote righteousness and piety, I think there may be other avenues that are just as effective and maybe more so in achieving that goal. If the purpose of the Bible is to gather numbers of authority worshiping sycophants then the Bible is pretty good the way it is right now.

How did it get slavery wrong
Are you projecting slavery of our US and European ancestors into the Jewish history
I don't understand how you think to comment on your understanding of slavery from ancient and near east history

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Dr. Ehrman is correct in the fact that there are many variants between the many copies of both the OT and NT. What he probably doesn't know is that every book of the Bible seems to be metered in Heptameter, equipped with multiple anaphorical phrases and refrains (in each passage) that are spaced apart from each other in syllable totals that are divisible by seven. In all the apparent chaos that we have with these variants, somewhere the infallible Word of God is waiting to be rediscovered, like a needle in a haystack.

Here is where I initially learned about the existence of the Bible Heptameter, and ever since then, I have been counting the syllables myself. With the help of other believers, I have worked on (or am working on) Zephaniah, Matt 24-25, Revelation 17, and Ecclesiastes. In order to do this properly, you have to be able to count syllables in Hebrew and Greek. You have to learn how the Greeks often used elisions and krasis in their Classical meter styles. Its time consuming work, but it isn't hard.

So I can see why people say that the original words of the Bible is lost forever, but isn't true. It's just waiting to be rediscovered.
edit on 19-4-2017 by BELIEVERpriest because: added content

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

why quote a bible version that has parts missing, changes words and phrases and therefore meanings of texts.

there is one complete and inerrant, inspired Bible because God's word says he will preserve his words to every generation forever.

Those who deny Christ before men he will deny before the father and his holy angels

Gods Word is Jesus
Go read the bible

I am not denying Jesus, your argument is silly

Sounds like You are in love with a book of words over Christ
The bible points to Jesus, not itself

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I don't know, I just read what Jesus was trying to create, a peaceful society where people help each other, and I see we should be concentrating on living a life where this happens. That kind of goes against the social structure we have here, it is more like true communism where everyone works together under one mindset.

How this got so messed up throughout the ages I do not know. It seems like people twist his words to fit their desires. I suppose it was written in parables which actually makes it easier to twist things out of perspective. I used to go to church and listen to the sermons where the minister would twist the scriptures, taking them out of context. At least I got to read the bible during the boring sermons. I got the true meaning that way, not someone's opinion of what it said. But some people have adopted Jesus's words almost as he meant them to be. There are some really nice people out there that will give you the shirt off your back if you need it. There are also people out there that will trick the good people into giving them their shirt so they can blow their money on other things. Lets deal with that, I see a lot of scams in the charity organizations.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Dr. Ehrman wrote a book on this subject, but he also gave quite a few lectures reveling a lot of what was discussed in his book

Being well over 28 years of age when Ehrman was born, I had the opportunity to observe him as he gained his position as a man who lost his way and joined the atheistic practice of most all of our universities today. I have watched and listened to his debates with men such as D'Souza, who buried him in intelligence. I also watched Ehrman in his debates with Dr. Michael Bird, Professor Craig Evans, Professor Mike Licona, Professor James White as well as others and I have much reserve in his understanding the biblical literature.

What am I saying here? What I am saying is that this video [which I did watch] is absolutely an unfair and untrue approach to the majority MSS biblical literature. His understanding of the autographs of the Greek and Hebrew/Aramaic MSS is so misguided that a layman can debate and clearly show his ignorance. At one time I honestly did not understand how he ever gained the acceptance of a PHD position that he has today but then as time changed the universities I understood what most of our universities have today is atheistic dribble and misinformation. [My opinion of course]

Before you take this video seriously I would hope that you also watch the debates that I have listed above. In my opinion this man is not qualified to teach the theological Christian Literature.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

Christ...

which came from where?

Idk..

Thank you but no thank you
I don't want your gnosticish reality Ak, whatever it is

and yes I will call it gnostic because you hide what it is, I will call it what is sounds like, your special hidden truth

And as i've told you many many times....

Don't use words you don't understand

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Seede

Being well over 28 years of age when Ehrman was born, I had the opportunity to observe him as he gained his position as a man who lost his way and joined the atheistic practice of most all of our universities today. I have watched and listened to his debates with men such as D'Souza, who buried him in intelligence. I also watched Ehrman in his debates with Dr. Michael Bird, Professor Craig Evans, Professor Mike Licona, Professor James White as well as others and I have much reserve in his understanding the biblical literature.

What am I saying here? What I am saying is that this video [which I did watch] is absolutely an unfair and untrue approach to the majority MSS biblical literature. His understanding of the autographs of the Greek and Hebrew/Aramaic MSS is so misguided that a layman can debate and clearly show his ignorance. At one time I honestly did not understand how he ever gained the acceptance of a PHD position that he has today but then as time changed the universities I understood what most of our universities have today is atheistic dribble and misinformation. [My opinion of course]

Before you take this video seriously I would hope that you also watch the debates that I have listed above. In my opinion this man is not qualified to teach the theological Christian Literature.

actually i have watched a couple of the debated you mentioned... such as the one with D'Souza who did not bury him in intelligence... he like many others fell back on theology and personal opinion rather then what is said in the gospels... same thing happened when he debated Craig, which personally i thought Dr. Ehrman ruined Craig in that debate.

Perhaps you might show us what you're talking about when you called him "misguided or ignorant"?

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Raggedy, you know that Psalm 12:6,7 is speaking of his spoken words which are recorded in a book for man to hold and study in his hand.

Jesus is God and needs no preserving.

have you not read on how important God's word is to him?

Ps 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name. ]/b]
I am his temple, I praise Jesus Name and God has magnified his word above all they name. If his word is that important to magnify it above all his name. We all better take heed to what his word says. and it says he will preserve it to every generation forever. Believe it or not it is a choice and an act of faith in God like our salvation in Christ finished work of the cross.

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join