It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

best starter books in cryptozoology?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I would like some recommendations for good books for folks just getting started in their study of cryptozoology. When I was a teenager I lived up in northern California and Bigfoot sightings were somewhat common. My dad and I used to collect newspaper articles about the various encounters. But as I entered adulthood I laid my interest in cryptozoology aside. Now at 60 years old I have got my interest back--mostly from seeing the threads in this section!
thanks,
Brian

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I don't know what direction to steer you in the books department, but, I can offer some suggestions on podcasts.

Sasquatchchronicles.com has a great podcast. Once a week the host gives a.show for non-members (cheep guys like me who don't pay).

Campfire is another good one.

Stephen young does a good show also.

Dogman encounters is cool, and the host also has a bigfoot encounters show too.

Hope that's somewhat helpful.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: brianlkennedy

David Paulides' Tribal Bigfoot and The Hoopa Project are both awesome. He did alot of research in northern California.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   
cryptomundo.com and cryptozoonews.com are two I suggest. Cryptozoonews is authored by Loren Coleman who has written many books about cryptozoology. Craig Wooleater hosts cryptomundo and they also have many well known guest bloggers.

Happy bigfoot hunting!!!

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: brianlkennedy
I would like some recommendations for good books for folks just getting started in their study of cryptozoology. When I was a teenager I lived up in northern California and Bigfoot sightings were somewhat common. My dad and I used to collect newspaper articles about the various encounters. But as I entered adulthood I laid my interest in cryptozoology aside. Now at 60 years old I have got my interest back--mostly from seeing the threads in this section!
thanks,
Brian

This really isn't meant to be dismissive.. but there inust isn't any chance any of the popular cryptos are real..

One animal isn't enough..

You need a breeding population and that requires thousands... maybe tens of thousands..

Sure we will still discover mega fauna , but it 99% chance won't be Bigfoot or Nessie.

I found history (mainly military) and space documentaries super fascinating...

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: brianlkennedy

Strongly recommend this one - Abominable Snowmen, Legend Come to Life. Older, but very detailed, and has been reprinted, so you can likely find it. Ivan T. Sanderson, and a real classic.

I have a copy of the Monsters of Texas, by Gerhard and Redfern. Lots of good data int hat one as well (including a sighting of my own).

If you can locate one, an old copy of The Mothman Prophecies might be of interest. Different, and weird, but fun reading.

Someplace, I have an old one on the Loch Ness Monster, but not handy right now, so can't share the data. If I can locate, will add that in.

Now, to check the thread for more recommendations. I need to increase my own collection!

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
This really isn't meant to be dismissive.. but there inust isn't any chance any of the popular cryptos are real..

One animal isn't enough..

You need a breeding population and that requires thousands... maybe tens of thousands..

Sure we will still discover mega fauna , but it 99% chance won't be Bigfoot or Nessie.

I found history (mainly military) and space documentaries super fascinating...

Oh, but there is good chance, for many of them. Are you aware, for example, that the Bigfoot tracks have been analyzed, and placed on a curve? The size data is perfect for a living population, something you would not see if they were mostly faked. As for "tens of thousands" - no. Not according to the data we are given for many known species. Sightings of many cryptids do in fact, include much variation, indicating a population of animals. Bigfoot is seen in many sizes, with color variation, and the same is true for lake monsters, American black cats, and many others. I have personally SEEN a VERY large vulture - thunderbird-sized - on the ground. Looked just like the rest of the turkey vultures, collected around some road kill on a back road in Texas, but HUGE. He could see into the car, and his wings, when partly spread out, overhung the edges of the road! Don't tell me people don't see large birds. Same for spiders - seen one of those, too! Wolf spider - at least it looked just like one - a good ten inches, at least, across. That was in Land O'Lakes, Florida, in a swampy area. The "smaller" ones infesting that house were the size of very large tarantulas. And, yes, I know the difference between those. Thousands of people see Bigfoot, all around the country. Relatives of my ex saw one, in the area they live in Ohio. There are hair samples, and even DNA evidence. Nessie? Go ahead, dismiss the best picture, the Surgeon's Photograph...then explain how the neck angle is different in the second one he took.

Come on; not too many years back, it was assumed by many that the kraken was a myth. Now, scientists pretend they "always" knew they were around, and simply awaited more data. In fact, most denied the possibility. We now know of two species - giant and colossal - of huge squid. Monster Quest got video footage of one that would be huge, even for one of those. If one of those species, it would be over 100 feet long!

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   
'On the Track of Unknown Animals' by Bernard Heuvelmans. considered to be the Bible of cryptozoology.

Try used bookstore; might be able to get through local library. or Amazon if all else fails.

www.amazon.com...=la_B001HOABVG_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1492612125&sr=1-2

I got one years ago and highly recommend it.

an author named Loren Coleman has written several crypto books. might be available at library etc.
www.amazon.com...=la_B00MUCR2KM_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1492612 438&sr=1-1

edit on 19-4-2017 by ElGoobero because: add helpful info

edit on 19-4-2017 by ElGoobero because: add useful linque

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Good Evening,
I appreciate folks taking the time to give me some help on this. I look forward to starting my book collection and thanks too for the leads on the podcasts and websites. It all sounds like great places to start. I look forward to talking with folks here about new developments in the area. I lived in Taiwan for many years and if I remember right the island of Taiwan has a couple of legends concerning rarely seen animals. I will talk with my Taiwanese wife about it.
So I will head over to Amazon with the list!
thanks much,
Brian

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Mac Tonnies, The Cryptoterrestrials.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   
The kraken is still a myth. A giant squid isn't anywhere near big enough to take down a ship.

With Bigfoot how many people have looked?? How many tens of thousands and not one speck of verifiable evidence..

Every other week some one is getting this or that DNA tested because "we finally have proof", but you never hear the follow up..because it turns out to be nonesense.

a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

The kraken is still a myth. A giant squid isn't anywhere near big enough to take down a ship.

With Bigfoot how many people have looked?? How many tens of thousands and not one speck of verifiable evidence..

Every other week some one is getting this or that DNA tested because "we finally have proof", but you never hear the follow up..because it turns out to be nonesense.

a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

No, it's not a myth, they are real. A large one could take down an old-style vessel, too. Plus, as stated, there is footage of one that would have to be more than a hundred feet long. Look for "giant Humboldt squid" footage on YT. The Monster Quest stuff is there. The searched for that species, but no one reports those as being giant. What they captured, though, was massive.

Actually, we have a lot of DNA evidence that's been discussed, ans it's always the same. Mostly human, with some small differences. Every single time, that's the result. That's real evidence. Science can't name the species, because they don't have an actual specimen to study, but the DNA is there. Plus, the footprints are also real. One cannot fake tracks across the country and get a realistic curve for a population, and we have that realistic curve. That's all solid evidence. If you aren't seeing it, you aren't looking. This site alone has many discussions on the topic. Do some reading. We can debate what they are, but denying that they are? Doesn't work, not anymore.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: brianlkennedy
Good Evening,
I appreciate folks taking the time to give me some help on this. I look forward to starting my book collection and thanks too for the leads on the podcasts and websites. It all sounds like great places to start. I look forward to talking with folks here about new developments in the area. I lived in Taiwan for many years and if I remember right the island of Taiwan has a couple of legends concerning rarely seen animals. I will talk with my Taiwanese wife about it.
So I will head over to Amazon with the list!
thanks much,
Brian

Check ebay, before buying on Amazon - many times, it's a better deal and plenty of "buy it now" options for most items! Happy book hunting!

new topics

top topics

join