It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missed opportunity in State of the Union address

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
The president really got me going for a second earlier tonight. He lead into his discussion of Iraq as if he were about to announce a decision. "In accordance with the advice of commanders... etc etc" then no decision, just "we're not setting a timeline to give terrorists hope.".

I agree that we should set an arbitrary date, but I think we screwed up tremendously by giving no criteria for a pullout at all. President Bush has every political, diplomatic, and military reason to start hinting and what it would take for us to pull out. We're not leaving till the job is done. Good, so what will it look like when the job is done? I believe that simply telling everyone exactly what he wants to see before we scale back our deployments would have gone a long way towards boosting public opinion, relaxing foreign concerns, and improving troop morale, recruitment, and retention.

I can't see why President Bush couldn't have talked to the boys at the pentagon and found out from them exactly how much of an Iraqi force it would take to faciliate a US pull-back, and then he should have asked them for a pessimistic time-table for training. Then he could have come out and said,
"The people who know have advised me that an Iraqi force of XXX,XXX troops should be adequate to stabilize that nation. We believe we can train XX,XXX troops per month, give or take. So the American and the Iraqi people have my promise that we will train those troops as quickly as possible without endangering Iraqi security, and when that force is in place we will begin to scale back and ultimately end US deployments in Iraq."

I hate to sound like a Bush basher but I'm sincerely curious why he has to hide behind "no arbitrary deadlines" when it should have been a simple matter to tell the world exactly what needs to be done and then promised to get out once it is done.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   
His unsure posture is an obvious sign that he is not in control, if he was he would have been more confident in his self and not relying upon what he was told to say. It is in plain sight, just compare his public statements to those of Presidents who wrote their own.

new topics

join