It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No longer welcome: the EU academics in Britain told to ‘make arrangements to leave’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
It's not enough to be a major contributor to the academic life of the UK any more, which in turn has a great many students from further afield than the EU, but that's what many of the EU academics, who thought it a good idea to clarify their position at this early stage, are IMHO, being sneakily told.
Academic Colin Talbot,
" I arrived at a meeting a couple of weeks ago and noticed one of my academic colleagues was visibly distressed.
When I asked what was wrong, they said they’d just had a very alarming letter from the Home Office. Having lived and worked here for more than two decades (they’re a national of another EU country) they decided to play it safe after the Brexit vote and apply for leave to remain. Big mistake.
They received a threatening letter from the Home Office saying they had no right to be here and they should “now make arrangements to leave”. The letter was obviously wrong – they had every right to be here under existing UK law – but that didn’t lessen the emotional impact for my colleague, whose whole future was suddenly thrown into uncertainty."

"Some EU academics (along with others) who have been living and working legally in the UK for years decided, after June 23, that they should try to cement their position by applying for one or other of the various routes to permanent residency. The procedures are daunting and of Kafkaesque complexity – one form runs to 85 pages and requires forms of proof that make acquiring Catholic sainthood look simple. As a result many applications are failing – but it is the form of the rejection that is causing much concern.
Pro forma denial letter below,

'As you appear to have no alternative basis of stay in the United Kingdom you should now make arrangements to leave. If you fail to make a voluntary departure a separate decision may be made at a later date to enforce your removal'

Anyway, the letter some people have received will be outdated when the great repeal bill is enacted by parliament and any authority it had will be, or could be rescinded altogether, and 31000 academics living here, app 30% of all Uni academics from the EU could be in limbo, once the great repeal bill is enacted.
It doesn't help either that PM May, has decided to now throw in the towel and go for a general election, (something Cameron should really have done when he called the referendum) which even the political pundits are having trouble finding a decent rationale for, since she has said many times it was nose to the table to get everything done.
But here, as it is, it seems that the home office in their stupidity, want to throw away billions of pounds sterling in education export down the swannee, even before Brexit has begun.

More reading,

blogs.lse.ac.uk...

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I think that there is more to this story than is being revealed. This is because if they are EU nationals then they would not be being told to leave. Not yet at least, and probably never if they have a job.

The more plausible reason is that they are working in UK universities in programmes that have dependencies on funding that derives from the EU. If the funding is withdrawn then the jobs will also be withdrawn.

In reality, the UK would probably ensure research into universities persists post Brexit, but this may not help those individuals dependent on EU funding if the UK funding is not in the same fields.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
I think that there is more to this story than is being revealed. This is because if they are EU nationals then they would not be being told to leave. Not yet at least, and probably never if they have a job.

But that's the whole point, those that have enquired on their UK status have received such a letter, even though at this time they are entitled to stay. The employment terms in the UK are the same across the board and agreed spine as a minimum. Status dictates that those in their fields that have a respected status allows them to negotiate their actual salary. Most EU funding is on R&D, it's difficult to calculate how much, say 15-16% but that is on top of what Universities receive from the UK as well. It is true though that Britain receives the second highest amount on R&D after Germany..though there's not much difference if you see what I mean, while the UK has consistenly five out of the top ten Universities worldwide. If you look at the blog, you will see the guy is talking about already long-term people.

The other factor is Tutors and the like have in some cases have already started turning down UK jobs because of the insecurity...see below,
www.theguardian.com...

Actual cases,

www.theguardian.com...

www.theguardian.com...
edit on 18-4-2017 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Makes sense that certain positions made possible by eu funding will disappear. Instead of cementing their legal status they are better of cementing their employment contract. Do hope this won't also make student exchange programmes less popular. Learning abroad really opened my horizon, eventhough it was only 1 year.
But it's obvious that if eu funding stops some people will lose their job. Just one of the many issues that will make exchange between europe and the uk more difficult than it needs to be.
As a mainlander I'm still kind of puzzled by this move. Not the idea that you wanted out, that I understand. It's that you wanted out so bad you are willing to pay this hefty price.

Look, you're already on an island, you kept your pound sterling. You had it good. You were in several ways the most isolated part of the union. No worries. What got so bad you had to leave? I know, we're far from perfect but lets talk about it. Don't just pack up and leave. How does that make us look? And feel? And this notion that you can just renegotiate your way back in the market is just adding insult to injury. I'm sorry I'm ranting. It's nothing personal, I'm truly baffled

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jubei42

Look, you're already on an island, you kept your pound sterling. You had it good. You were in several ways the most isolated part of the union. No worries. What got so bad you had to leave? I know, we're far from perfect but lets talk about it. Don't just pack up and leave. How does that make us look? And feel? And this notion that you can just renegotiate your way back in the market is just adding insult to injury. I'm sorry I'm ranting. It's nothing personal, I'm truly baffled

So am I, it doesn't take a University professor, (as the writer of the blog is) to work out that it's pretty much all bad, all round. As for funding, there are so many ties with the other EU countries and further afield where they see the value of the UK Universities, as well as other say, commercial R&D areas.
Now look at this, while thinking about what you are saying, I simply googled this parody line in the search bar, "Is the UK Home Office a zenophobic culture centre" now look at what came up I kid you not,
UK government: Is the Home Office institutionally xenophobic?

www.quora.com...

This is not the UK I was brought up in..as for the wagon and it's message, you can thank Ms May for that piece of crap.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Have read both links . If Brian Cox and the LSE are involved then it becomes suspicious . Sounds like fake news in fact .

It seems, that what's been happening is some academics have been jumping the gun , since the referendum , applying to remain when they dont need to , using the channels which non eu migrants would normally take . And then complaining how hard it is . And complaining when they'er told to start thinking about leaving then .
Sounds like typical worriers where they dont need to be ; maybe why they are academics and not business minded folk getting on with actual jobs. They're some accusing the Brits of xenophobia for voting out , I find that kind of attitude pretty disgusting , but you could put it down them being worriers when again they dont need to be . Overall its a shame the EU has come to this as its current controllers are those to blame , not the British people . Its controllers are not British at all in fact . So we want their systems gone from here , not the eu public . Its sickening to hear the British public blamed by academics who should know better , when all we have done so far is protect our country .
Academics , of all people , should know what the score is , but they dont in general . Brian Cox does though I bet : he's a bbc plant and the bbc are still pro eu , and so are the lse most likely

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
They should convert to Islam and openly call for the deaths of soldiers and police officers. Then they will be a given a taxpayer funded mansion big enough for their extended families, and lots of free money. Their practicing of polygamy will have a blind eye turned towards it and they will have leave to remain indefinitely.
edit on 18-4-2017 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jubei42

Answer : the EPP aka Tusk, Merkel , Junker et al . Every EU country needs to rid of these .
They are the ruling party in Europe , and you didn't know that . 99% of Europeans don't know that . But we do. Or we instinctively despise German Fascists

We'd prefer the Europe of Nations and Freedom .
edit on 18-4-2017 by ZIPMATT because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZIPMATT
Have read both links . If Brian Cox and the LSE are involved then it becomes suspicious . Sounds like fake news in fact .

It seems, that what's been happening is some academics have been jumping the gun , since the referendum , applying to remain when they dont need to , using the channels which non eu migrants would normally take . And then complaining how hard it is . And complaining when they'er told to start thinking about leaving then .
Sounds like typical worriers where they dont need to be ; maybe why they are academics and not business minded folk getting on with actual jobs. They're some accusing the Brits of xenophobia for voting out , I find that kind of attitude pretty disgusting , but you could put it down them being worriers when again they dont need to be . Overall its a shame the EU has come to this as its current controllers are those to blame , not the British people . Its controllers are not British at all in fact . So we want their systems gone from here , not the eu public . Its sickening to hear the British public blamed by academics who should know better , when all we have done so far is protect our country .
Academics , of all people , should know what the score is , but they dont in general . Brian Cox does though I bet : he's a bbc plant and the bbc are still pro eu , and so are the lse most likely

Who said the BBC is pro EU? * The LSE most likely is for obvious reasons, while the blog was written by a Manchester Professor. The Guardian though, and it's reporting if not perfect, is about the best that you can hope for in this day and age of complete shiite.
Anyway the PR card is now applicable (in advance) it seems to EU members, and should not be at this stage.
And no, it's not fake news no matter how much you would like it to be...and it's not about jobs or funding, it's about people who want to remain in the UK...because they want to..get it? sheesh.

* regardless of what you may think the BBC run this reality check page...go on I dare you to have a read, it'll leave you all over the shop.

www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 18-4-2017 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

well, read down the comments on the lse blog page : accusing us of xenophobia for voting out .

as for the bbc and brian cox - they are pro eu , else people who consume their products would know things about the eu they don't want to tell you . Example: parliament channel doesn't id the epp members
just puts them as 'German centre-right' for example.
Merkel is both german , centre-right AND she's cdu . That's code for EPP , as nearly ALL the rest of them are .BBC should id them as EPP when covering the EU parliament! Tusk and Junker , all EPP . That's who decides ALL EU policy at the moment , in case you didn't know either .

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

Yah I read this page - no mention of the EPP - typical that . The party that runs every office of note in the EU , and yet not a_ jot about them .
And , reality check : as Farage made clear , the UK can do what it likes since we sent the letter , but that's not what the bbc reckons is it .
They've been cooing , "oo, economic impacts" ,oo difficult negotiations" , for the past year . Not the reality whatsoever .
Except the people co-ordinating the making it difficult for Britain line are all of one party , the EPP . That's who all of Europe have got to see for who they are . The bbca re either scared of them , or typically , are the govt mouthpeice where the real government is still the EPP , in their eyes

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   
There's another suspicious hole in this possibly fake news creation , that the academics who sought to secure their place in Britain were using the same process as non-eu immigrants have to use to get into the eu .
So they are complaining about EU proceedures enacted by the home office , according to current europe wide policy .
Sounding faker and faker , and oh look , Brian Cox , Mr Bull&ite moon-man himself . No disrespect to yourself though op

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   

well, read down the comments on the lse blog page : accusing us of xenophobia for voting out .

as for the bbc and brian cox - they are pro eu , else people who consume their products would know things about the eu they don't want to tell you . Example: parliament channel doesn't id the epp members
just puts them as 'German centre-right' for example.
Merkel is both german , centre-right AND she's cdu . That's code for EPP , as nearly ALL the rest of them are .BBC should id them as EPP when covering the EU parliament! Tusk and Junker , all EPP . That's who decides ALL EU policy at the moment , in case you didn't know either.

All the EEP members are known, there are no EEP members from the UK presently since the Conservative party pulled out from that alliance, while there is a UK EEP party which is a bit weirdish against the EEP federal style of EEP umbrella group. As for policy all the EU countries have commissioners who have a role to play, it's up to them to open their gubs. As for centre left-centre right it's not such a bad place to be in, if you want blood and guts go and join the extreme mad Mullahs or Trump, or bring Cameron out of..er, retirement...better idea, go and fish for a great white shark, with flippers and a spear.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ZIPMATT

Also, if we are all such horrible xenophobes, why would they want so badly to stay?

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   

www.bbc.co.uk...

Yah I read this page -

I doubt that very much it's not one page for starters, it's a myriad.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Er, mmm .

They could indeed swallow me with one blood and gut spilling bite,
but it is down to the UK military to protect our citizenry from external threats .

new topics

top topics

join