It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mummy' Is Transgender: A New Commercial Is The Talk Of India

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   

It's an ad for Vicks, maker of cold and cough remedies, produced for the Indian market. It's had 9 million views on YouTube so far. And it's launched a discussion on social media about the rights of transgender people.

The story is indeed true, and the the real Gayatri and Gauri Sawant appear in the ad. But certain details are omitted from their story. The child was 6 when her mother, a sex worker, died of AIDS. Gauri, then 27, was her mother's friend and stepped in to raise her.

When life is difficult, the truth is - all we have is each other

This thread is inspired by a thread I was posting in moments ago. Is she mentally ill? This is the argument that interests me the most:

Mental Health... involves effective functioning in daily activities resulting in

Productive activities (work, school, caregiving)
Healthy relationships
Ability to adapt to change and cope with adversity

Mental Illness...refers collectively to all diagnosable mental disorders — health conditions involving

Significant changes in thinking, emotion and/or behavior
Distress and/or problems functioning in social, work or family activities

Mental health is the foundation for thinking, communication, learning, resilience and self-esteem. Mental health is also key to relationships, personal and emotional well-being and contributing to community or society.

Seems like she's performing above and beyond to me

Some people think the ad exploits transgender people to sell a product. But on social media, where everyone is always ready to express outrage, the response has been resoundingly positive. On Facebook, where the video has racked up 2 million views and thousands of comments, most are a variation on, "This made me cry."

Got to me too

The world is changing. The way we look at each other, contemplate each other - accept each other - all changing. In some ways that give me a great deal of comfort in troubling times - I am so glad that I lived to see exactly this

So, go ahead ATS. Explain to me how this woman is a problem - of any kind

edit on 4/18/2017 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Explain to me how this woman is a problem - of any kind.

They can't mate.
They just complain using their useless "morality".

& ironically... watch for the hate that follows.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Being American, I expected to see a 5,000 year old transgender Egyptian (mummy) wrapped in linen strips.

Oh well.
edit on b000000302017-04-18T10:20:20-05:0010America/ChicagoTue, 18 Apr 2017 10:20:20 -05001000000017 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Being American, I expected to see a 5,000 year old transgender Egyptian (mummy) wrapped in linen strips.

Oh well.

With an Aerosmith cd - Dude looks like a mummy.

heh but I too thought mummy was not what it was. Still, what happens in Egypt, stays in Egypt.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Oh well.

That would have been awesome and maybe help to dispel the notion that Trans is a new phenomena for some.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

The world is indeed changing, hopefully for the better. Intellectually I have no issue with transgender at all. However, being almost 50 years old, it still causes me a negative visceral reaction. This being so even though my middle child's best friend is transgender. I certainly don't understand it and perhaps my reaction is just fear of what I don't understand. I hope the best for everyone and know that life is hard enough without being challenged by societal belief systems.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: RainbowPhoenix

Oh well.

That would have been awesome and maybe help to dispel the notion that Trans is a new phenomena for some.

Quite right.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Hey, as long as nobody is trying to indoctrinate children in schools that this is normal natural human behavior, and encourage it in children, I have no problem with it. Good for that man for raising this child.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Good for that man for raising this child.

You couldn't have figured out any other way to convey your point other than that? Like for example saying person instead of man. That would have satisfied both your need to not acknowledge something you do not agree with while keeping it civil and not being offensive. No instead you willfully and intentionally go out of your way to be inflammatory. Good for you, stay classy!

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Beautiful story. How can anyone find flaw in that?

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Just more liberal nonsense that we always see in commercials. Remember the 84 lumber commercial for the Superbowl? If you disagree with Transgender then you're bigoted neanderthal. So be it, I'm a bigoted neanderthal. I still think it's a mental illness and no star for not having an actual "mummy".

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

Your post I think represents the future. People that are capable of rational thinking, who are also willing to think

We are all brought up with what we call cultural norms. Those things are not that easy to walk away from. Especially if there's no incentive

I really appreciate the honestly in your post. Allow me to jump off from your post and pontificate a little :-)

Advertising lately has obviously begun to embrace certain changes in our culture big time. Worldwide I'm happy to see. Those countries that still have populations that aggressively resist? Well, how much can we write here about how well you can control a people by making them resistant to change. New ideas and new beginnings terrify some people

If advertisers are doing it to promote an agenda, what's the legitimate argument against that agenda? If advertisers are only capitalizing on a change that's happening - then, too late haters - this is a runaway train. Try to hold on

There's a part of me that wants to write something about nature and science, but I'm seriously tired of trying to reason with a certain kind of thinker. They are teflon coated and not having it

So - what else is left but emotion, compassion and a certain kind of common sense?

Treat each other with respect. Allow people to be who they are - so long as it's not hurting you

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

I tell no lies. He is doing an astounding job.
Upstanding citizen this man is! Lets hope the people of India see it that way.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
An honest question to women out there. As a guy, I have so much respect for you. I know that you have much more complicated "plumbing" than we do, and literally are the givers of life. I couldn't even fathom carrying around a child in my tummy let alone imagine the pain and discomfort of child birth. So, kudos to you.

So, enter this genderless thing. Does it not kind of rub you the wrong way when a guy says he is a woman? Never having experienced anything like what I mentioned above? Just throws on some ladies clothes, buys some problem glasses and boom?

FWIW personally I don't care about any of it, there are much bigger problems in the world than gender identity for me to worry about.

Just always wondered that.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

I tell no lies. He is doing an astounding job.
Upstanding citizen this man is! Lets hope the people of India see it that way.

So calling a person a person is a lie? Your particularly obnoxious aren't you? You keep being you and I'll keep on winning at life.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Sweet we are normalizing mental illness.

Let's do schizophrenia next.

We need our witchdoctors dude I'm going through some serious life crisis is right now that could probably be fixed with some heavy psychedelics and some guidance

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

What a douche.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Are you upset about something?? I didn't notice.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I have no issue with the gender or sexuality of others. I don't understand why people care. When people stop making a big deal out of it they'll stop jamming it down our throats in the media.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

One of you doesn't need any meds

top topics

<<   2 >>

join