It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: British PM Theresa May to make major announcement (Early Elections)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:53 AM
link   
A tactical move by Theresa May brings about another 'Brexit' referendum wrapped up in a General Election. This to provide certainty and to secure unfettered backing for Brexit negotiations.

On June the 8th, the British public will deliver a very strong vote of confidence in Theresa May and her cabinet. Brilliant move!

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:53 AM
link   
We had a referendum free of party politics , and now this The Brexit election , to keep the result ?
is right!
Nearly half the UK were thick enough , or brainwashed by the bbc enough to vote remain !!
I'm not convinced we needed the gamble here , the tories might , the actual British don't . Who are the LibDems since the last election anyway ? They barely exist ! What opposition to Brexit in parliament then ? Where? The Lords? Who elects them ?

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:56 AM
link   
So they call an election when they are well ahead in the polls so they can have another 5 years running the good ship UK aground. excellent. Fun and games ahead. The reasons for calling a snap election are usually because of a political and economic crisis. ?

Dont worry everyone, we have this under control..????

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I vote labour but corbyn is a cock so no vote for me

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
She did it because she knows full well Labour will get annihilated.

This leaves me stuck.

I don’t know who to vote for.
Lib Dems can go to hell.
Labour can shove it.
And as much as I like my local MP sthe Tory’s cuts on disability are amoral and disgusting so they can go jump off a cliff.

My local MP is Iain Duncan Smith. I'd swim through blood rather than vote for him. I've met the bloody man. I'm voting Lib Dem.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Sprocket, if you are after a Brexit done right, then there is no reason what so ever, to cement Tory presence at the helm of this nation. They have already proven that they are going to do everything in their power to denude the people of their well being, and the reasonable assumption is that they intend the same for the very underpinnings of our society as a whole. Therefore, it makes precisely no sense to leave the matter in the hands of amoral, ruthless scum of their sort.

Compromising principle is something we can ill afford at this time in political history. There has been far too much of it. We need less corporatism, we need the private sector beaten into submission and paying ALL taxes due, every time, without failure or question, and we will not be getting that from a party who blame the ills of society on immigration and the aging population, denying services to the unemployed, the disabled and the elderly. We do not need that. But that is precisely what May and the Tories will continue to do. If their attitude toward the people follows through to their attitude toward the issue of the exit from the EU, then it can ONLY result in the most brutal, unhelpful results possible.

We cannot rely on a Conservative government to work into British law, the elements of the EU's workers rights rules that actually do our nations workforce good. We can be certain in fact, that they will utterly fail to protect workers rights, because historically they have always failed to do this. We can be certain that they will not protect the rights and livelihoods of the weak, the defenceless, and it is these things which dictate what sort of a nation we are to be. If these things are unprotected, then our nation is lost and damned.

The Tories can only destroy this country, they are fundamentally and ethically incapable of doing any good for us what so ever, because they are at their core, evil.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 06:11 AM
link   
She states the country is coming together...eh?. How did the brexit vote turn out ya ragfaced cow.
So much for her statement on another Scottish referendum that "Now is not the time,"...Hypocrital fuknugget.
edit on 18-4-2017 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Just heard a Labour MP say May is aiming for a elected dictatorship............

If they run on that platform again, they will be irreparable wiped out.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Elected Dictatorship.

That's a new one.

Gotta make their excuses for their inevitable humiliating defeat I guess.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

well said truebrit....well said.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I hear every word you are saying brit, I really do.

The fact is that there is no alternative.

To actually be out of the EU means we must be outside the framework of the EU courts, single market and every other body that comes under that banner.

All this hard and soft Brexit stuff is just a ruse to dilute the referendum result, anything less than a hard Brexit is no brexit at all.

The Lib Dems are vehemently opposed to any loosening of our ties to the EU, Labour are also, but being a little bit cute with their words.

Ukip aren't going to do anything except talk rubbish and fight among themselves.

I want to be free and clear of the EU, I don't want there to be any regulatory or financial ties between us anymore, that's what I voted for and, may my tongue turn black for saying it, the Tories are the only ones who look like they can deliver.

As for the dangers of their baseline settings being about corporatism, anti union legislation etc. You are dead right. But in years, we have the chance to reverse that, if we allow the others to screw up our exit from the EU, we might never have the chance to be free again.

Twenty years ago, I'd have laughed so hard at the idea that I would ever put my cross in that box, now though, I can truly see no alternative at all.

edit on 10pTue, 18 Apr 2017 06:20:10 -050020172017-04-18T06:20:10-05:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: addendum

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

I tried voting Lib Dem.

What did I get? I got David Cameron and a glorified flesh puppet in the form of the simpering yes man, Nick Clegg.

For goodness sake, are memories so short?

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I tried voting Lib Dem.

What did I get? I got David Cameron and a glorified flesh puppet in the form of the simpering yes man, Nick Clegg.

Me too, I voted for a party that wouldn't increase the tuition fees for students...haha, oh how we laughed...

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I tried voting Lib Dem.

I admit that I would have preferred Confidence and Supply rather than the Coalition, linking us to those treacherous duplicitous scumbags. Problem is that there was no other choice, rather than a second election that only the Tories could afford. There was no chance of a mega-Coalition government, Labour just didn't have the votes.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I wonder if they will rig this election like they did the last one.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

Doesn't seem necessary if the opinion polls in the papers are anything to go by.

After this one it definitely won't be necessary with the Tories redrawing the constituency boundaries.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

I wonder if your lot have any seats left to win up North

Can't be many, can there?

Maybe a wipe out of all the other parties would see Scotland finally become independent again...

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   

I believe the Conservatives are looking to consolidate their power so they can go through brexit with little power struggles on key topics. I voted to leave the EU and I believe that even if another party gets voted in, they should honour the referendum. As my opinion on brexit, I agree with Michael Cain, " I would rather be a poor master than a rich servant"

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 06:47 AM
link   

The conundrum I face as a voter is that I am very much a liberal, if I were to pigeon hole myself. But..I voted to leave the EU,with the other parties wanting to halt brexit, I find myself in a odd position where if I wanted brexit to proceed I would have to vote conservative, and I hate the Conservatives. So I am in a bit of a muddle..

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: pigsy2400

I believe the Conservatives are looking to consolidate their power so they can go through brexit with little power struggles on key topics. I voted to leave the EU and I believe that even if another party gets voted in, they should honour the referendum. As my opinion on brexit, I agree with Michael Cain, " I would rather be a poor master than a rich servant"

Yeah, they should honour it, but I am 100 per cent sure that no other party will do anything of the sort.
I'm still a bit unsure of whether the Tories can be trusted, but, right now, it serves their interests to be seen as the Brexit party, so, chances are, they will honour it.

originally posted by: pigsy2400

The conundrum I face as a voter is that I am very much a liberal, if I were to pigeon hole myself. But..I voted to leave the EU,with the other parties wanting to halt brexit, I find myself in a odd position where if I wanted brexit to proceed I would have to vote conservative, and I hate the Conservatives. So I am in a bit of a muddle..

I mostly voted Labour, never voted Tory, but this time, I see no other alternative.

Like I said before, this issue is bigger than anything else, we can always fight the Tories once we are free of the EU.
edit on 52pTue, 18 Apr 2017 07:00:52 -050020172017-04-18T07:00:52-05:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: addendum

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join