It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: British PM Theresa May to make major announcement (Early Elections)

page: 15
<< 12  13  14   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: umbr360

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: TrueBrit
As soon as I finish my teacher training I am packing my bags and moving abroad due to how badly this country treats its teachers and how it has treated me.

Funny the government will have spend £20,000 in bursary’s plus another £15000 in students loans I wont pay back if I move aboard. The government will have lost that because of how inept they are!

You complain about budget cuts etc... right after saying how you will be moving abroad and therefore not paying back money to the government. I need a big blooming knife the carve through the irony of that one.

As to the main issue...despite all the parties that exist, yes the UK is essentially a two party system right now. It's Conservatives or it's Labour. That could change, not by these elections, not by the next, maybe not even the ones after that. But if people would stop 'not voting out of protest' and actually vote for a party they can agree with, even if it has no chance of winning, that could start the ball rolling.

The more people who vote for a small party, the more people who will see them as worth voting for next time. It's maddening to see people across my facebook complain about the current government but then declare they wont e voting at all.

I see your point but I don't believe in legitimising a system that by any real measure can't justify it's own existence to a satisfactory degree, at least to me.

Voting for a small party is still granting consent. No tangible change will ever come from working within the parameters of this system, it's been designed solely to propagate itself and stifle any meaningful attempt to change it for the better.

Even if a small party managed by some miracle to eventually become the opposition party, the need for bigger donors will always lead them to be in somebody's pocket and that party will inevitably always be beholden to them before the electorate.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

Agreed, which is why I'm voting lib-dem.
The candidate has represented my constituency before, a really hard working MP, only got beaten by the Conservative at the last election due to the UKIP votes.
I voted UKIP last time to get the referendum.
We've had it, now I want the best local candidate representing my community.
The lib-dem candidate is the one for me, known professionally and personally.

*edit*
The Conservative candidate is a prick and we hate each other on social media lol
edit on 23.4.2017 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 12  13  14   >>

join