It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 10 most dangerous volcanoes around the world (videos)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Most of these named volcanoes have come up in conversations (depending on where one lives) however the amount of people living in close proximity is something I was unaware of. Also these volcanoes are rated by their past explosive eruptions due to the type of magma they contain which I also found interesting.

10. Santa Maria, Guatemala (1.25 million/6.2 million people who might be affected):

9. Taal, Philippines (2.38 million/24.8 million):

8. Coatepeque Caldera, El Salvador (1.2 million/6.5 million):

7. Corbetti Caldera, Ethiopia (1.2 million/9.8 million): No actual video for this one but; Ethiopia has many many volcanoes

6. Tatun Group, Taiwan (6.7 million/9.8 million):

5. Vesuvius, Italy (3.9 million/6.0 million):

4. Ilopango, El Salvador (2.9 million/6.7 million): This is the event that contributed to the collapse of the Mayan culture

3. Aira Caldera, Japan (0.9 million/2.6 million):

2. Michoacan-Guanajuato, Mexico (5.8 million/5.8 million): Almost 6 million people live within 5k

1. Campi Flegrei, Italy (3.0 million/6.0 million):

strangesounds.org...
edit on 727thk17 by 727Sky because: ...

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I wonder how Yellowstone failed to make the list.

No time to watch the vids. Back later.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

Frequency of eruptions plus these are just the normal everyday kind of big volcanoes that can cause massive loss of live due to people living less than 100 kilometers from its' location.. IMO

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Very cool OP, just goes to show you how many people could be effected by their local volcano.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Possibly because it's not really that active ?

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
The volcano blog I check in with did what they called the New Decade Volcano Program which was their attempt to compile a list of the most dangerous understudied volcanoes that could threaten millions based on our current undestanding of geology and volcanology.

Their top culprit was Ioto, Japan.

They describe it as a submarine "supervolcano" of which little is known.

Yet neither Thera nor Krakatoa are representatives of the very worst possible scenario, one where barely subaerial or wholly submarine volcanic eruptions are concerned. There actually are very large submarine volcanoes in many places around the world, submarine volcanoes capable of a VEI 7 “supereruption” and our choice for #1 in this series is such a volcano. This volcano has shown an enormous amount of inflation over the past 1,000 years and is the strongest candidate that we are aware of for a future VEI 7 eruption. It threatens several of the most densely populated as well as some of the most developed areas of the World. Its name is Ioto, Sulphur Island, formerly known as Iwo-Jima.

There is a nice fictional account of what a worst case scenario might be like since so little is known. I suggest you read it for fun, of course.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Taupo's not there either.

When it goes, NZ will be the new Atlantis!

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: violet

Possibly because it's not really that active ?

But it is active, eruptions are believed to be roughly cyclical and activity is building.

edit on 18/4/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join