It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dove Soap Ad Features Transgender Mom, Facebook Censors Critics

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

Then try using the person's name for example, doesn't seem that difficult does it?

We use pronouns to avoid repetition and make speaking easier. Repeating a proper noun where we could use a pronoun makes speaking much more difficult, cumbersome, and ugly.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

First of all, World Net Daily? Are you kidding me? I looked at the original Yahoo source, and I don't see where it specifically states that the 4 year old got sex reassignment surgery. By "transition", it looks like they mean allowing the child to dress/act and change their name, and their hair, etc. There is absolutely no medical reason to take hormones before puberty, as hormones don't even kick in until puberty. There would be no situation where a transgender person would have the surgery and not take hormones, so I call bs on this story.

Second, Paul Hughes is well known for his religious right views. He broke with John Hopkins because of those views.

Third, transgenders who are still unhappy after sex reassignment surgery are usually so because either they had to wait until after puberty's permanent affects, which leads to not the best transition - or, because they are still unaccepted/bullied/shunned/abandoned by family, friends and employers and the general population even after the surgery. Funny enough, the suicide rate for trans people who aren't encouraged/allowed to live as the gender they identify with is even higher.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

So you have an already prepared excuse for your disrespect.

People are disrespectful.
That's what we do.

You can't legislate against it. You just have to be an adult and deal with it.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

They explained their particular situation to you. Why shouldn't you be expected to do the same? If you don't want to come from a place of understanding then expect to be treated with disrespect because you are perceived as being disrespectful.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

and dishonest.

Words flow with thought. Its why we have an internal dialogue...we even think in words.

Is it a reasonable thing to try to refer to people in a way that they prefer? Theoretically, yes. In actuality....the body and mind don't work like that. Not without a lot of practice and effort.

How fun is it to have conversation where you hve to put so much effort into monitoring your speech to sanitize it for people who are sensitive? Is it not good enough to simply communicate witout intentional malice?

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   

I got bullied a lot when I was younger, for being tall, having very curly hair, being in a single parent family (as my father died when I was 7) I have never, ever wanted to kill someone and never will. I totally abhor violence and the one lesson I learned about dealing with bullies, was just to walk away, let them know that you don't give a toss what they think about you, that shows them to be the insignificant, little worms that they are...they mean nothing to you. Fighting them only gives them more reason to attack you again imo

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   

I really think it's fairly easy to see someone's intent. If someone is polite and friendly, yet keeps slipping up and calling someone the wrong pronoun and when they catch themselves they apologize, I don't think anyone would get upset at that.

It's when someone gives a trans person the stink eye, makes negative comments under their breath and belligerently and deliberately calls them the wrong pronoun with a sneer that shows their real intent to be obnoxious about it.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

Who said anything about trying to legislate anything? People are having an issue with Rainbow responding with hostility when she is disrespected.

They want their intolerance to be tolerated without any kind of response.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Then try using the person's name for example, doesn't seem that difficult does it?

We use pronouns to avoid repetition and make speaking easier. Repeating a proper noun where we could use a pronoun makes speaking much more difficult, cumbersome, and ugly.

So let me see if I got this right, you obviously hold very delicate feelings over how the english language is used and have a fetish for labels. "That's cool if your into that whole brevity thing" but the minute your attempt to protect your own feelings and sentiment crosses mine in a way that I find to be troubling to my own delicate feelings then we are at an Impasse my friend.

link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: SeaWorthy

You're free to look into the criticisms leveled at them. That said I think their association with the National Association for Research & Therapy of Homosexuality and the fact that the SPLC labels them a hate group should speak volumes. And let's not forget that the reason they splintered off from the AAP (which is 60,000 strong by the way) in the first place was due to their views on homosexuality.

They seem to be the real Drs and scientists should their views not be taken into account everyone has a standing, a position that does not negate the science.
I just hope People don't rush to make decisions because we all have emotional issues and it would be sad to undergo surgery and find out you still feel wrong.

edit on 19-4-2017 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

They explained their particular situation to you. Why shouldn't you be expected to do the same? If you don't want to come from a place of understanding then expect to be treated with disrespect because you are perceived as being disrespectful.

Because they choose to overshare personal details, im now expected to reciprocate?

Is this how people really communicate day to day? Spend time sharing their own psychological details before completing a transaction at the convenience store?

the overwhelming majority of day to day communications are brief, passing, and forgettable outside of the information received. Because that is what language is for: communicating information.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

I really think it's fairly easy to see someone's intent. If someone is polite and friendly, yet keeps slipping up and calling someone the wrong pronoun and when they catch themselves they apologize, I don't think anyone would get upset at that.

It's when someone gives a trans person the stink eye, makes negative comments under their breath and belligerently and deliberately calls them the wrong pronoun with a sneer that shows their real intent to be obnoxious about it.

You, being a reasonable person, are certainly of this mindset.

Some folks are more absolute and extreme in their views. As you know, 90% of the populace doesn't care one way or another about much anything that isn't directly effecting them.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Everything she listed is a scientific fact which she used as a reference to dispel the notion that Transgenderism does not appear in nature when quite clearly it does. Whether or not the animal achieved such effects through technological means or their bodies own ability to do so does not change the fact that transgenderism does in fact occur in nature. Even without the animal kingdom that can still be said with certainty because humans are a part of nature and the global ecosystem and it occurs among us so ipso de facto it is a part of nature whether you like it or not.

No it does NOT.

Organisms that possess the biological mechanisms necessary to be dual gendered (worms for example) are completely different than a human male who decides to cut off their penis.

Why can't you see this? Is it too hard for you to accept reality? I'm not coming out guns blazing against trans people I'm just stating facts.

The combination of technology and motivation in humans to reassign their genitalia is not the same thing as an organism that is genetically hardwired to be dual gendered or genderless.

What we humans call transgenderism simply does not exist in the animal kingdom. Period.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: destination now

I got bullied a lot when I was younger, for being tall, having very curly hair, being in a single parent family (as my father died when I was 7) I have never, ever wanted to kill someone and never will. I totally abhor violence and the one lesson I learned about dealing with bullies, was just to walk away, let them know that you don't give a toss what they think about you, that shows them to be the insignificant, little worms that they are...they mean nothing to you. Fighting them only gives them more reason to attack you again imo

I lived in some rough neighborhoods and rough schools that mentality was not an option.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   

They english language is a beautiful thing and yes, I do have a pet peeve over those would deface it. But also I fear the formation of newspeak and language designed to limit or hinder freedom of thought.

I think if we became friends, I would tailor my language for you. But I'm not going to do so because you demand it of me, just as I would hope you wouldn't tailor your language because others demanded it of you.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Some folks are more absolute and extreme in their views. As you know, 90% of the populace doesn't care one way or another about much anything that isn't directly effecting them.

You mean 90% of the populace is impolite and unfriendly? That's pretty sad.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

I totally agree with this. There was a case recently about a trans woman, who decided to jump on the bathroom agenda. She was travelling by ferry (somewhere in the UK I think) and had done so many times, but as the bathroom debate blew up in the states, she actually phoned the ferry company, explained she was tg and asked which bathroom she should use! Of course the company told her she could use the disabled facilities as they are not gender specific, at which point she kicked up a massive stink, causing the company to totally rewrite its policy.

However, when it came to show her picture, she was very feminine, she could have walked into the female toilets without any fuss, I don't think anyone would have thought she was a man. Just making mountains out of molehills imo

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

You mean 90% of the populace is impolite and unfriendly? That's pretty sad.

You can't judge people you don't know. Everyone is facing their own battles....share the tolerance a little, eh?

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: anotheramethyst
Dove's commercial is a purely business decision, they want a monopoly on the 0.3% of the population that's transgender. There's no way that could possibly be offset by losing religious customers, I'm sure. Also it's cheaper than doing something drastic like producing soap that's healthier or pollutes less.

I have a Facebook account, and I'm pretty sure having the account cancelled is a reward, not a punishment. Just think about how much spare time he will have now. It's like getting fired without losing any money. LOL it's like being a kid suspended from school.

The problem is they believe the loud SJW minority represents the majority of the youth, and that it is not the minority it is. How did that go for Hillary? Or what about marvel comics and their diversity to appeal to them? These people are loud activists who do not buy products, and they are a violent minority and racist too... if you're doing a kung fu series you should cast an asian, give me a break.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: ColdWisdom

Go start your own social media networking site and you can decide what is and isn't censored. Facebook isn't the government. They can censor whatever the hell they want and there is nothing you can do about it.

Yeah actively campaign against it. There was something prior to facebook, it was called myspace.

Facebook allowing ISIS vids to go uncensored, pedophilia content to go uncensored, and reporting journalists to the police for bringing this up to them, is low.

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join