It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dove Soap Ad Features Transgender Mom, Facebook Censors Critics

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
Using the wrong pronoun after being told it's wrong means you're making a negative judgment about that person's entire life.

That is not true.

You are trying to ascribe intent and motive to people you don't even know, and situations that haven't even happened yet.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   

a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Oh boo hoo. You feel uncomfortable for a second because you were asked to use a different pronoun. Poor you.

So...tolerance is a one way street. You are belittling my own suffering.

Do you not get what you're doing by calling a transgender the wrong pronoun after being corrected? You're essentially saying, "Hey dumb dumb do you not know what gender you are? You damn fruitcake!"

You are making stuff up.

It may be perceived that way, but it doesn't mean that is what i am "basically saying". Its called "jumping to conclusions", and likely would be a behavior that precludes positive interaction in the real world

There's a reason why suicide is so high among transgenders. Unacceptance by society. Last time I checked nobody killed themselves because they had to call someone by a specific pronoun.

Like I said, gender neutral pronouns exist. Why would you be uncomfortable using one of those?

My language flows naturally. If i have to stop to think....that person is too much effort to interact with and Ill just ignore them.

Is that the acceptance that is being sought?

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

I'm a guy.
People have called me a girl many times in my life.

I've been called a lot worse.
So what? Sure it's rude and I don't encourage it.

But I respect the right for anyone to call me a girl if they so choose.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: murphy22
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Oh! The "Hippocratic oath"? Doctors oath? To uphold "standards"? To not essentially, mutilate a perfectly normal body? Ain't that where "psychologist" come into play? According to you. If a Medical Doctor is removing or adding to...they're changing something! I'm not sure of your grasp of language. But I'm sure of what you'd like it to mean.

Most parents of youth with the belief that he or she is something they are not is, at best, a sign of confused thinking. When an otherwise healthy biological boy believes he is a girl, or an otherwise healthy biological girl believes she is a boy, an objective psychological problem exists that lies in the mind not the body, and it should be treated as such.

The American College of Pediatricians' statement on transgender conflicts in youth states, " These children suffer from gender dysphoria. Gender dysphoria (GD), formerly listed as Gender Identity Disorder (GID), is a recognized mental disorder in the most recent edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of the American Psychiatric Association (DSM-V).5 The psychodynamic and social learning theories of GD/GID have never been disproved."
www.childhealing.com...

They give a long list of causes usually associated with this illness.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: murphy22

So you do disagree with plastic surgery?

The plastic surgery you take a risk and then it is generally over, the dangers of messing with hormones and the suicide rate of cross genders is very different and life long.
www.transhealth.ucsf.edu...

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

a reply to: SeaWorthy

It should be pointed out that the American College of Pediatricians is a far right group that claims to uphold Judeo-Christian ideals. They number only about 500 people are regularly criticized for ignoring or misinterpreting research to further their cause. They might be even labeled a hate group.

They can't all be making up studies there are many many studies. As far as a whole organization full of scientists looking only to uphold Christain ideas I really have to doubt that.

2016 Research Papers
The important research paper, Sexuality, and Gender: Findings from the Biological, Psychological and Social Sciences, is an exhaustive review of the scientific literature concerning gender identity and sexual orientation. It is significant in that over 500 scientific articles were reviewed by two notable scholars: Dr. Lawrence Mayer, professor of statistics and biostatistics at Arizona State University and a self-described liberal citizen who supports LGBQT rights, and Dr. Paul McHugh who was the psychiatrist-in-chief at John Hopkins from 1975 to 2001. Among the many significant findings is that both doctors concur that neither sexual orientation nor gender identity is innate or immutable (no one is born gay or transgender, and both are fluid). Additionally, both doctors find no evidence to support encouraging children to identify as transgender.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: RainbowPhoenix
a reply to: Meee32

It's not about accepting it, it's about how you speak to me you dunce, do you get it yet? Is that simple enough for you? I do not care what you think or feel about me in your own head but I do care about what comes out of your mouth. If I find the excrement that you exude to be offensive I am going to let you know.

What a thoroughly unpleasant person you are..

You've also stated in an earlier post that you look very feminine, so why the heck would anyone call you Mr, and if they did and you corrected them, yet they still insisted you were a man, you can't be very feminine looking..then of course there is the very macho aggressive side of you...keep calling me mr and I'll punch your lights out!

Lovely...Not

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   

If you have to pause and think to refer to someone as "you" in a conversation then it's up to you to explain your situation to them and why you might refer to them by the incorrect pronoun. They explained their situation to you why they corrected your pronoun usage. It's only fair you reciprocate.

Otherwise don't get upset when they get offended at your continued usage of the wrong pronoun. You might not be applying any negative connotation to it but that's not the norm for them.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Like I said, gender neutral pronouns exist. Why would you be uncomfortable using one of those?

They ruin the language.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
This thread is a prime example of why I lost a trans friend to suicide on Monday.

RIP, Danielle.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

Thanks to my long hair I've also been called miss plenty of times in my life. They usually immediately realize their mistake. If anyone persisted after realizing though I'm going to assume their trying to disrespect me and as such they should not be surprised if they receive disrespect back.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Really? It doesn't seem like it ruins anything to refer to someone as "you." In fact that seems much more natural than referring to someone as "sir" or "madam" throughout a conversation.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

I'm sorry to hear, friend.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Really? It doesn't seem like it ruins anything to refer to someone as "you." In fact that seems much more natural than referring to someone as "sir" or "madam" throughout a conversation.

Unless you're referring to them in the third-person. "You is going to help you study for your final exam". Make no sense.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

You're free to look into the criticisms leveled at them. That said I think their association with the National Association for Research & Therapy of Homosexuality and the fact that the SPLC labels them a hate group should speak volumes. And let's not forget that the reason they splintered off from the AAP (which is 60,000 strong by the way) in the first place was due to their views on homosexuality.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

If you're talking to the person I don't think you're going to be using the third person.

If there's a third person in the conversation and you're referring to the other person it seems pretty natural to use "they" or maybe even use their name.

link   

originally posted by: destination now

originally posted by: RainbowPhoenix
a reply to: Meee32

It's not about accepting it, it's about how you speak to me you dunce, do you get it yet? Is that simple enough for you? I do not care what you think or feel about me in your own head but I do care about what comes out of your mouth. If I find the excrement that you exude to be offensive I am going to let you know.

What a thoroughly unpleasant person you are..

You've also stated in an earlier post that you look very feminine, so why the heck would anyone call you Mr, and if they did and you corrected them, yet they still insisted you were a man, you can't be very feminine looking..then of course there is the very macho aggressive side of you...keep calling me mr and I'll punch your lights out!

Lovely...Not

I'm actually very pleasant when you speak to me with respect and compassion. As for aggressiveness I have dealt with bullying in my younger years and have learned that the only way to make it stop is to also become a primitive predator. I'm also confident in my ability, the government spent a lot of money teaching me how to kill without being killed. They also taught me honor, commitment and integrity as well as proper escalation of force protocol and how to apply force when needed and to what extent.

“be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet " - Our current SecDef General James Mattis

I'm a pretty reasonable person but my kindness should not be mistaken for weakness.
edit on 19-4-2017 by RainbowPhoenix because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-4-2017 by RainbowPhoenix because: (no reason given)

link   

If you have to pause and think to refer to someone as "you" in a conversation then it's up to you to explain your situation to them and why you might refer to them by the incorrect pronoun. They explained their situation to you why they corrected your pronoun usage. It's only fair you reciprocate.

Otherwise don't get upset when they get offended at your continued usage of the wrong pronoun. You might not be applying any negative connotation to it but that's not the norm for them.

WHAT?!?

How it is up to me to explain to people how their demands on me create difficulty in communication?

Where im from, "ma'am" is beat into you at childhood. You refer to people as 'sir' and 'ma'am' as a sign of courtesy. "Yes ma'am", "Please, sir", etc.

I wouldn't get offended....i'd just walk away, as im not putting more effort into a conversation than I am getting out of it. Like i said....is being ignored the "acceptance" that is being sought?

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Unless you're referring to them in the third-person. "You is going to help you study for your final exam". Make no sense.

Then try using the person's name for example, doesn't seem that difficult does it?

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   

If you're talking to the person I don't think you're going to be using the third person.

If there's a third person in the conversation and you're referring to the other person it seems pretty natural to use "they" or maybe even use their name.

We speak about others in their presence, for instance when we introduce others. "This is Sharon. You (they?) works for FedEx. You (they?) will be teaching you the ropes".

Sorry, but it is contrived and forced.

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join