It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dove Soap Ad Features Transgender Mom, Facebook Censors Critics

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

originally posted by: Gryphon66

a reply to: Gryphon66

You just created your own argument to attack. Strawman.

Did you or did you not just support your argument with a citation from your personal American Heritage Dictionary c. 1986?

Yes or no?

No, I didn't ;P

And I reject your attempt at calling it a fallacy because the social justice definition is based in pop culture and psychobabble, not realty.

And are you going to call Deaf Alien out with your argument as well? Note who started the definition waving.

And what does pop culture and psychobabble exactly encompass?

Fluff, whim, nothing constant. Popular agenda of the moment.

In other words, nothing.

The irony is thick within this post. Psychobabble.... project, much?

No.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Doctors require that they get counseling for I believe 2 years (I could be wrong). So it's not something they take lightly. It's the same for plastic surgery. So it's not like they all of sudden just decide they want surgery and doctors just went along with it.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

a reply to: Gryphon66

You just created your own argument to attack. Strawman.

Did you or did you not just support your argument with a citation from your personal American Heritage Dictionary c. 1986?

Yes or no?

No, I didn't ;P

Sure you did.

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: Teikiatsu

gen·der
ˈjendər/
noun
noun: gender; plural noun: genders

the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones).

Yay for using a recent lib-source dictionary. I have one from 1982 before all this insanity began.

A set of two or more categories (as masculine, feminine or neutral) into which words are divided according to sex, animation, or some other characteristic, and that determine agreements with or the selection of modifiers, referents, or grammatical forms.

One category of such a set.

The classification of a word or grammatical form in such a category

Classification of sex

American Heritage Dictionary

Glad we could clear that dishonesty up so easily.

And I reject your attempt at calling it a fallacy because the social justice definition is based in pop culture and psychobabble, not realty.

And are you going to call Deaf Alien out with your argument as well? Note who started the definition waving.

Who cares if what you're calling the "SJW definition" doesn't fit your beliefs? The mistake in logic that you made is claiming that a dictionary definition makes a substantive argument. It doesn't, as noted, because dictionaries change as word meanings change.

Really? Your complaint is that I'm picking on you? LOL. Here's a tissue.
edit on 18-4-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Were those root words based in how a person feels about their body image?

Why do you care which words we use to describe how a person feels about their own self? It's almost as if you believe that because the words aren't standard (according to you) somehow the feeling is illegitimate

I mean, seriously?

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Who cares if what you're calling the "SJW definition" doesn't fit your beliefs? The mistake in logic that you made is claiming that a dictionary definition makes a substantive argument. It doesn't, as noted, because dictionaries change as word meanings change.

So by your logic, your definition of gender is not substantive as well. What now?

Really? Your complaint is that I'm picking on you? LOL. Here's a tissue.

Uh... no. My argument is that you create strawmen and attack them. Like saying I'm complaining about being picked on... then making fun of a false premise.
edit on 18-4-2017 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

Were those root words based in how a person feels about their body image?

Why do you care which words we use to describe how a person feels about their own self? It's almost as if you believe that because the words aren't standard (according to you) somehow the feeling is illegitimate

I mean, seriously?

I care because if we are going to speak the same language we should agree on definitions, or we should at least include some modifiers like 'dysphoria'.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Have I defined gender here? Quote it.

Well, in this case, you quite obviously argued from the dictionary, which when pointed out, you called a straw-man argument.

You made the argument, I quoted the argument that you made; you're full of mud.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   

I care because if we are going to speak the same language we should agree on definitions, or we should at least include some modifiers like 'dysphoria'.

Oh, I so disagree. You and I speak the same language - but we seldom agree on anything. So, are you going to now blame that on the fact that I'm not playing with your words?

Dysphoria? Stacking the deck are we?

I think you're out of your element on this one. Gender is a component of sex, but it's not sex

Next you'll be wanting to tell us that if it doesn't end in a pregnancy - we're doing it wrong. What would be the proper words for that explanation?

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Just remember cisgender identity politics are fine and dandy.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Have I defined gender here? Quote it.

So you do not have a definition of gender?

Well, in this case, you quite obviously argued from the dictionary, which when pointed out, you called a straw-man argument.

No, I said that a dictionary from a time before this insanity began did not include a 'how you feel' or 'body image' reference that has become en vogue from pop culture.

You made the argument, I quoted the argument that you made; you're full of mud.

Because your opinion is all that matters.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   

You stated that I had defined gender here. Were you mistaken or lying?

Yes, you made a counter-argument to Deaf Alien's claim based on your pet dictcionary defintion. It's quite clear T.

My opinion matters only to me as your matters only to you. Yet, it's not an opinion that you posted a fallacious argument, got called on it, and now you're pathetically trying to weasel away from it.

/shrug

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

Oh, I so disagree. You and I speak the same language - but we seldom agree on anything. So, are you going to now blame that on the fact that I'm not playing with your words?

Definitions are not the same as opinions, unless you are trying to change the language to move the goalpost for some reason...

Dysphoria? Stacking the deck are we?

I'm using a word that is commonly associated with gender.

I think you're out of your element on this one. Gender is a component of sex, but it's not sex

It is a characteristic of sex.

Next you'll be wanting to tell us that if it doesn't end in a pregnancy - we're doing it wrong. What would be the proper words for that explanation?

Noun vs. Verb.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Why don't you just give up and discuss the actual subject? You are not going to change the entire world mind on the definition.
You can have your "definition" and we have ours. Move on.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   
My question is: Why are normal, sane people, getting sucked into this nonsense by helping promote the lunacy and queer behavior/terminology of those that obviously need mental help?... "A transgender woman"? "A transgender man"?.. Really? I remember Bruce on the box of Wheaties. Before he mutilated himself. The bigger question is. Why now, at this point in history are the wack jobs, dominating civilized thought, advertising and other "scocial" space? This guy needs help along with the "mother" of his child. Before the kid needs help.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Show me a study where a woman and a TG have the same feelings or brainwaves in response to children.

I don't know about that. I don't think they did a study on that? Anyway there are plenty of researches on TG and they mostly point to TG brains being the actual opposite sex.

So, all of the studies of children growing up without a father figure being more likely to go to jail are incorrect?

What does that have to do with TGs with children?

What does it have to do with it? The commercial is about a couple who had a child then the dad became TG....so no father figure and even more confusion.
Seems like an awful lot of drama for selling soap. I think they were trying to hard.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: murphy22
My question is: Why are normal, sane people, getting sucked into this nonsense by helping promote the lunacy and queer behavior/terminology of those that obviously need mental help?... "A transgender woman"? "A transgender man"?.. Really? I remember Bruce on the box of Wheaties. Before he mutilated himself. The bigger question is. Why now, at this point in history are the wack jobs, dominating civilized thought, advertising and other "scocial" space? This guy needs help along with the "mother" of his child. Before the kid needs help.

You didn't share your medical/psychiatric qualifications with us before your mini-rant ... care to?

Just to give some ... context to your wild statements?

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Who's, "WE"? The "Subject" isn't even based in reality.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

All of that misses the point. You seem to think that you can determine something (scientifically - morally?) with vocabulary. You can't

The discussion we're having has veered away from the original OP, but I believe what we're talking about now is whether or not being transgendered is a thing. I assure you it is

You want to say it's not natural? Go ahead - nobody is stopping you. But your vocabulary choices don't make you right. It's just your opinion

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: murphy22

Monkey see, monkey do. The civil rights era leveled the playing field for the vast majority of Americans... that vast majority being our society's norms or median. The fringes, however, feel like their whims should be appeased and their idiosyncrasies should be placated. Thus, a small scale "revolution" of sorts, which has been politicized when it was believed glad handing this special interest group could quickly and easily (and cheaply, comparably speaking) incorporate them into the growing list of Kept Voters.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

You stated that I had defined gender here. Were you mistaken or lying?

I appear to have been mistaken. I misread ' the "SJW definition" ' as 'my "SJW definition" '

I apologize for my error.

But I have a sneaking suspicion your definition of gender agrees with the "SJW definition" I am alluding to.

Yes, you made a counter-argument to Deaf Alien's claim based on your pet dictcionary defintion. It's quite clear T.

My opinion matters only to me as your matters only to you. Yet, it's not an opinion that you posted a fallacious argument, got called on it, and now you're pathetically trying to weasel away from it.

Are definitions and opinion synonymous in your lexicon?

p.s. I did not support my argument with a citation from my personal American Heritage Dictionary c. 1986, unless the numbers 1982 and 1986, as well as 'my personal' and 'my wife's' mean the same thing in your opinions of language. Like I keep saying, language and definitions matter. Nitpickers know this.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join