It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Avoid Cultural Appropriation at Coachella

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   

But every year, the thorn in the festival's side is appropriative fashion. From the overtly racist to the blindly ignorant, some Coachella attendees see festival fashion as the opportunity — knowingly or unknowingly — to demean cultures for Instagram likes.

I am Liberal and proud but this far left shyt is so ridiculous, This is so stupid, what about white cultural appropriation...why can't people just shaddap about taking this and that from each culture. The only time I think it is bad is when it is outright racism. We all use something from each culture, doesn't mean it is bad. Stop seeing every damn thing as racist, pretty damn soon that word will lose it's meaning.

By the way I am a minority who has faced real racism and when people make crap up and call it racism, it really p's me off.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: trumpsuxx

Liberal "inclusion" / appropriation means stuff from other cultures are only to be included for being worn by the source cultures, apparently.

edit on 17-4-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   

When you have to be told you're racist are you really racist?

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: trumpsuxx

But every year, the thorn in the festival's side is appropriative fashion. From the overtly racist to the blindly ignorant, some Coachella attendees see festival fashion as the opportunity — knowingly or unknowingly — to demean cultures for Instagram likes.

I am Liberal and proud but this far left shyt is so ridiculous, This is so stupid, what about white cultural appropriation...why can't people just shaddap about taking this and that from each culture. The only time I think it is bad is when it is outright racism. We all use something from each culture, doesn't mean it is bad. Stop seeing every damn thing as racist, pretty damn soon that word will lose it's meaning.

By the way I am a minority who has faced real racism and when people make crap up and call it racism, it really p's me off.

It's OK to have your belief system.

But, this cry baby act has got to stop.

If you want to do something about it.

Find a new Candidate. Get them on the ballot.

Win in 2020

Until then, quit acting like you want to see our Nation fail.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Wow... This is the sh!t they want teens to take in?

Where does it end? Don't get me wrong, we could nuke Coachella, and nothing of value would be lost but this is ridiculous.

How is any of this even a real problem?

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

What are you talking about? I am saying that calling crap racism doesn't make it racism.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bobaganoosh

Wow... This is the sh!t they want teens to take in?

Where does it end? Don't get me wrong, we could nuke Coachella, and nothing of value would be lost but this is ridiculous.

How is any of this even a real problem?

It is not, just the far left idiots trying to make it a problem. I have faced real racism, so this kind of BS just gets me so P'd off.

Unless they are using things from other races to insult, make fun off or as negative symbol, then I see no issue with it.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
You know I could've sworn these people also wanted a multi-cultural society.

Does not this ridiculous cultural appropriation crap fly right in the face of that?

So hard to keep up with all these inherently contradictory ideas.

Increasingly it seems they want some form of weird racially-fueled apartheid regime.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

How can we accept other cultures in and appreciate them when it's cultural appropriation if we adopt anything other cultures do?

You can't, and just so you know, that's exactly how they want it. Everybody loses and it keeps different cultures at arms length.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

"Cultural appropriation is the adoption or use of the elements of one culture by members of another culture. Cultural appropriation is sometimes portrayed as harmful, framed as cultural misappropriation, and claimed to be a violation of the intellectual property rights of the originating culture."
en.wikipedia.org...

It's however they want to spin it. Basically, if you're white then you're a racist POS if you wear se dreadlocks.

"Conversely, cultural appropriation or borrowing can be viewed as inevitable and a contribution to diversity and free expression.[15] This view distinguishes outright theft of cultural artifacts or exotic stereotyping from more benign borrowing or appreciation. Cultural borrowing and cross-fertilization is seen by proponents as a generally positive thing, and as something which is usually done out of admiration of the cultures being imitated, with no intent to harm them."

But the flip side is the liberals want us to spoak in cultural stuff from other cultures, or at least we cant criticize stuff, such as culturally normalized pedophilia.
edit on 17-4-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   
This cultural appropriation crap is getting out of hand. People should just be able to wear whatever they like without fear of being called a racist. In this day and age nearly everyone on Earth is of mixed heritage. I don't care what you wear or how you fix your hair- if you're nice to me I'll be nice to you. It really is that easy.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Some people are just looking for things to feel offended by.
I'm offended by those people.
Minds are being lost, left and right.

Just stop.
Please.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

I am Liberal and proud

Ummm...isn't that an oxymoron...?

Beyond that...I agree with your statements...

YouSir
edit on 17-4-2017 by YouSir because: I just likes to...

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   
It's all part of an agenda being pushed to prevent the world from taking the reigns back from a corrupt few. As long as we hate each other then we will never be able to unite. Mad world.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   

From the article:

Even when people feign ignorance, there's little excuse. In the past, I've worn a Pocahontas costume for Halloween. It's a mistake I regret, and I'll never do it again knowing how hurtful it is. With appropriation being such a huge conversation these days, it's easier than ever to educate yourself about cultural symbols. If you still choose to regard one as a disposable trend, it's because you simply don't respect the people behind it.

Amazing.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

No possible way one could ever wear a costume in the ambitions of enlightened respect and admiration, NOPE, just racism unless your own race spawned the notion.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Lest Alessandra Ambrosio be accused of cultural appropriation I suggest she wear nothing at all to ensure she doesn't offend anyone. - ATA

There are times when people overly concern themselves with things immensely broad and far-ranging and who insist on applying their own limited definition for the sake of making political hay. Cultural appropriation as understood by these people is about as insane as a mechanic deciding which type of brake pads to put on a horse. Culture is considered a great many things but for the sake of this argument we'll limit it to just these definitions as found in the Webster-Merriam Dictionary:

a : the integrated pattern of human knowledge, belief, and behavior that depends upon the capacity for learning and transmitting knowledge to succeeding generations
b : the customary beliefs, social forms, and material traits of a racial, religious, or social group; also : the characteristic features of everyday existence (as diversions or a way of life] shared by people in a place or time popular culture Southern culture
c : the set of shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices that characterizes an institution or organization a corporate culture focused on the bottom line
d : the set of values, conventions, or social practices associated with a particular field, activity, or societal characteristic

www.merriam-webster.com...

Writ short culture is how any group lives; their dress, customs, cuisine, arts, beliefs, etc. etc. Coachella apparently has the expectation that every group will inherently understand what is "sacred' or even just "special" to those of another culture and will consciously avoid using or wearing anything that might remotely resemble such. You would have an easier time walking across a field and not stepping on any plants.

Mind you this is a festival where everyone is supposed to have "fun" but they are going to tell what kind of fun you can't have - but only after the fact of course. There is no guide to tell you what not to wear, what not to say - are there certain dances once can't do too? I assume that I, as a White male, would be guilty for dressing up as a Zulu warrior and carrying a spear. In fact I'm sure I would never hear the end of it. Why then would it be ok for a Black male to dress up as a medieval knight? I could make a long list of things White people would be chastised for while there are none for minorities.

That is the bottom line here - that minorities are allowed to do what the White majority are not. Another tool for White repression because that is the goal of SJW's in the main - the destruction of the majority culture. Note how the article lamely makes the flimsy divide between assimilation and appropriation. You can take whatever you like from the majority culture but don't they dare take anything from minority cultures.

Yeah, that's real equality. True egalitarianism at it's finest. What's sad is these people are so vehement and relentless in their crying victim and often backed by the power of school administrations, they succeed in either convincing or cowering people in to conforming to their wishes. This is not empowering to anyone. It is simply another form of tyranny over others. The very thing they claim to be fighting against.

edit on 17-4-2017 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   

You sound more like a budding libertarian than a liberal. Embrace it...the left us wrong.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   

More like class-appropriation.

I love this time of year when celebs have their music festival and dress like they *think* earthy plebs dress, for a few days. Their interpretations are funny.

I don't know why anyone would discourage this.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Does this mean I can't cook tacos anymore?

new topics

<<   2 >>

join