It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlanta Theater faces criticism for gay versions of Bible stories

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

My point is that law of the land is a subjective term

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: firefromabove

Don't like the play, don't go see it.

"Don't like X, don't go to there" sounds like great idea

However gays tend to not only go to people they don't like but, they force them to accommodate them and then sue if they don't get their way

You've got a lot of experience with "gays" do you?

Non-discrimination in public accommodation is the law of the land.

Next?

I have lots of experience with Gays.

Honestly, where are Gay Rights being infringed in America ?

Cause, your Rights end where mine begin.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

You don't understand that LGBT's have NO authority to force a christian in to accepting them.

NO constitutional grounds exist.

I do understand that Neo all too well. No one's talking about Christians "accepting" anyone. There are many LGBT Christians.

You live in such a tiny, sad little world, bud.

As a point of fact, many Christian denominations welcome LGBT folks with open arms, but even that's not the point.

All Americans are protected equally under the Constitution ... that fact is what seems to be getting your goat.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere

However gays tend to not only go to people they don't like but, they force them to accommodate them and then sue if they don't get their way

Next?

What does that have to do with the play we're talking about?

Until two years ago, I couldn't marry my partner. Fifteen years ago, there were still sodomy laws on the books. North Carolina has just started some BS effort to prevent marriage equality even though that's the law of the land. Trans* kids can't even use the right bathroom.

Would you like to discuss anti-LGBT hate crimes?

edit on 17-4-2017 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

Heh couldn't resist.

Anyway let's change your question a little bit...
Honestly, where are Christian Rights being infringed in America ?

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Next?

Until two years ago, I couldn't marry my partner. Fifteen years ago, there were still sodomy laws on the books. North Carolina has just started some BS effort to prevent marriage equality even though that's the law of the land.

Well bro,

Move to So Cal.

I support your Right to be with who you love.

Marry them, but some people can't or won't except Gay People.

Their narrow minded loss.

edit on 17-4-2017 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Next?

Until two years ago, I couldn't marry my partner. Fifteen years ago, there were still sodomy laws on the books. North Carolina has just started some BS effort to prevent marriage equality even though that's the law of the land.

Well bro,

Move to So Cal.

I support your Right to be with who you love.

Marry them, but some people can't or won't except Gay People.

There narrow minded loss.

I'm good in Atlanta, born and bred.

I'm not asking for acceptance, like, admiration, tolerance or anything else.

I'm an American, and I expect to be treated as such ... that's all.

edit on 17-4-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

So move to Uranus. We want all narrow minded Christians to move to Uranus.

We can't accept you narrow minded Christians here on Earth.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Next?

Until two years ago, I couldn't marry my partner. Fifteen years ago, there were still sodomy laws on the books. North Carolina has just started some BS effort to prevent marriage equality even though that's the law of the land. Trans* kids can't even use the right bathroom.

Would you like to discuss anti-LGBT hate crimes?

Im sorry you feel offended with the responses. Truly. Many xtians forget that Christ taught tolerance and love. Many pick and choose OT laws and etc to justify their hatred of homosexuality to begin with.. then with the new bazillion genders its muddied the waters on things. Tolerance and love like the Christ is toward people who are not xtians as well. Its toward those who they feel are lost or offensive or living in sin ( which if they read a little better, we are all sinful and fall short) . To be like Christ, IMO anyway, I understand it to maintain your beliefs and live your beliefs, but not beat others over the head with your beiliefs or push people further away. I see a lot of xtians on here and elsewhere .. in real life.. who drive others away from believing in God due to their own misunderstanding of God and Christs teachings .. and their hatefulness.

Im not a xtian, but Im also no fool. Im also sorry that youre being basically ostracized for your beliefs and who you are. Its ok for xtians to be offended by this. Its not okay to bash all gays and hold all gays responsible because youre offended by a play. I understand both sides of this coin, but it shoudnt be such a wedge between everyone. IMO the play is for shock value and pretty stupid.. kind of like the "christ in piss" so called art.. meant to stir up controversy and nothing more.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

I'm not offended by any responses really. And I can appreciate the ideals of which you speak, and thanks for your kind words.

The character of Jesus did in fact in many ways, reflect some of the best characteristics that humans have. The fact that many on here see the basic description of the play's contents and automatically assume that they are being "attacked" by it speaks (in my opinion) to the innate victim-stance that the religion of Christianity (not the teachings of Christ) embodies. As we've seen in this thread, that victim-stance is brittle, childish and vindictive.

The idea that God would have created "Adam and Steve" for example, slashes at a very old slur that was hurled at gay men to delegitimize their very existence, again, as we've seen played out in this thread.

Many feel that "stirring up controversy" is one of the valid functions of art. As I said, I won't be going to the play even though I'm right here in Atlanta ... because it looks like a derivative piece of crap.

Ooh, shocking, two half naked guys on stage ... and gosh, what if Mary was a lesbian? Har har.

That's not what's going on here in the critiques on the play's very existence, however.

You mentioned the word "offended" ... it seems that many here were fundamentally offended at the idea that God would create gays and Lesbians as well.

That's the root of the so-called problem.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 03:21 AM
link   

seems that many here were fundamentally offended at the idea that God would create gays and Lesbians as well.

Not offended. More like disgusted.

The people making such plays had an agenda, and that was to attack the religious beliefs of people

It is a provocation and intended to get a reaction.

Gay people have this urge to draw attention to themselves all the time and the play is just one more instance of attention grabbing

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 04:35 AM
link   

All I can say is;

Giving stories like this oxygen is only encouraging the morons who create such trash.

That is all.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:17 AM
link   

seems that many here were fundamentally offended at the idea that God would create gays and Lesbians as well.

Not offended. More like disgusted.

The people making such plays had an agenda, and that was to attack the religious beliefs of people

It is a provocation and intended to get a reaction.

Gay people have this urge to draw attention to themselves all the time and the play is just one more instance of attention grabbing

You're disgusted at the suggestion that God might create gay people?

Thanks for your honesty.

"Gay people" didn't draw attention to themselves by creating a play, the attention was drawn to it by those trying to shut it down because it makes them feel attacked.

Again the play is 20 years old. It's only a provocation because folks who believe as you do are so easily provoked by any little thing you don't like.

Have you seen or read the play? Then you know nothing about its contents. You know nothing about the message, or what value there might be in it.

The only thing you know is that you can't stand the idea that those disgusting, attention-seeking gay people might able to laugh at all the hatred coming our way from idiots deluded by their religion into thinking they're superior in some way.

/shrug
edit on 18-4-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 06:13 AM
link   

No I'm disgusted at the fact that gays are perverting the notion that God created man and woman to live together

Adam and Steve is a lame attempt at mocking peoples beliefs

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Yes it is.

It is also turning the old anti-gay argument that 'if god wanted us to be gay he would have created Adam and Steve, not Adam and Eve' argument right back around on the people who would use it.

It's a religious satire that was designed to offend and push back at a group that was very vocal in keeping homosexuality from being accepted in any form.

It's also outdated and rather pointless. There are far more important things to worry about that a stupid offensive play that no person of piety would bother to go and watch.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   

No I'm disgusted at the fact that gays are perverting the notion that God created man and woman to live together

Seems to me you'd be disgusted by divorce then ... rather than people who do you no harm.

/shrug

edit on 18-4-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Looks like that Catholic group, America Needs Faith, needs to pull that board out of their ass.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Don't ever see The Book of Mormon.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   
If anyone would actually like to know a bit more of what this play is actually about ...

THE STORY: A stage manager, headset and prompt book at hand, brings the house lights to half, then dark, and cues the creation of the world. Throughout the play, she's in control of everything. In other words, she's either God, or she thinks she is. Act One recounts the major episodes of the Old Testament, only with a twist: Instead of Adam and Eve, our lead characters are Adam and Steve, and Jane and Mabel, a lesbian couple with whom they decide to start civilization (procreation proves to be a provocative challenge).

Act One covers the Garden of Eden, an ark, a visit with a highly rambunctious Pharaoh and finally even the Nativity. Along the way, Mabel and Adam invent God, but Jane and Steve are skeptical. This brings about the Flood, during which Steve has a brief affair with a rhinoceros and invents infidelity. No longer blissful, Adam and Steve break up only to be reunited as two of the wise men at the Nativity.

Act Two jumps to modern day Manhattan. Adam and Steve are together again, and Steve is HIV positive. It's Christmas Eve, and Jane is nine months pregnant even though she always thought of herself as the butch one. The two women want to marry and want Adam and Steve to join them in the ceremony. A wheelchair-bound, Jewish lesbian Rabbi from cable access TV arrives to officiate. The ceremony is interrupted as Jane gives birth, and Steve confides to Adam that his medication isn't working and that he'll probably not survive much longer. Bound by their long life together, and the miracle of birth they've just witnessed, the two men comfort each other even though they know their remaining time together will be short.

The Most Fabulous Story Ever Told - Dramatists Play Service

Gee, I guess it's about more than just "making fun of Christians."

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 07:30 AM
link   

You didn't think any of those people being critical actually cared about the content within did you? They just wanted to complain because GAY!

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join