It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlanta Theater faces criticism for gay versions of Bible stories

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

You are correct that nobody did a similar play for Quran (even though you admitted that they tried to) but you made a claim that nobody would do it because "we know why" (your word).

I tried to expand that to include other events just so that you can see that other people have tried to do similar thing (offending Muslims) and you wouldn't accept that for some reason.

You made two claims: they will not do a play for Quran because - 1. They are scared and 2. They single out Christians.
YOUR CLAIM.

Now are you going to give me more information about that Voltaire's play?

Yes the tyranny of silence around the Quran is indisputable. We already know people will riot or murder with a cartoon. The Salmon Rushdie affair is legendary. The ancestor of Van Goh was killed in the streets for a movie. Charlie Hebdo was decimated because it made drawings. There were 200 deaths related to silly Muhammad Cartoons, the artist of those cartoons is in hiding because there were attempts on his life.

Yes, I can say that no one would do a gay play about the Quran because...well we know.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Now we're talking finally.

But people have tried and done something to offend Muslims, correct?

And will you please give me more information about Voltaire's play? I am seriously curious. I can google it but I want specifics. I want your perspective. I want you to point me in the right direction.
If they tried to do a play and they had to cancel due to threat of violence then phooney on them but at least they tried!

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Yes, I can say that no one would do a gay play about the Quran because...well we know.

Are you saying that the gay people are too afraid to do it?
Just curious. Trying to understand what you are trying to say.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: Logarock
a reply to: Gryphon66

Come on! Be a little honest that the gay whatever takes its pound of flesh.

Perhaps ... as soon as you define what the "gay whatever" is.

That gay cultural monitor that crushes all outside of the politically correct yellow lines.

Ah.

The fictional "phantom menace" that right-wingers like to invoke when they have no argument.

Gotcha.

The answer is no, this imaginary force that troubles you has power, because it doesn't exist. What does exist is public opinion and the much praised "market forces" ... and several individuals who have chosen to take a stand on prejudice and unfair discrimination have suffered in the court of public opinion.

What's your point?

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

I'm speaking of satire, mockery, or even criticism. Anything will offend Islamic extremists, whether people try to or not.

Yes Muslim's rioted when they showed a centuries old play by one of France's most famed writers in France. Imagine a famed American playwrite's work requiring riot protection from a seething mob of Christians. It's a travesty.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Are you saying that the gay people are too afraid to do it?
Just curious. Trying to understand what you are trying to say.

No, though the anti-homosexual stance of Islam is no secret.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Trying to understand you.

I'm speaking of satire, mockery, or even criticism. Anything will offend Islamic extremists, whether people try to or not.

Yeah and people have already done that, sometimes costing their lives.

I understand the danger that come with mocking certain religions. The point is that people will still do it regardless. We risk our lives for freedom don't we? That's how America came to be.

Yes Muslim's rioted when they showed a centuries old play by one of France's most famed writers in France.

You mean like this - www.wsj.com...
I'm reading.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   
This is just degeneracy passing off as art for the sole purpose of grabbing attention.

Happens all the time. Its nothing new or revolutionary.

Its just filth. By filth. For filth.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: firefromabove
This is just degeneracy passing off as art for the sole purpose of grabbing attention.

But if Christians do it it isn't filth?

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   
The Christian/Muslim thing is an ultimate red herring in this discussion, but of course, it's been successful for those wishing to increase post count.

Here's the difference in the US, there are approximately 70% of Americans who consider themselves Christian, and the number of Americans raised as Christians is even higher than that. The percentage of American Muslims is around 1%.

There are far more of us who have experienced the negative sides of Christianity in the US than those of us who have experienced the negative side of Islam. Pure and simple. That's the difference.

In terms of the realities of American life, the equation of Christianity and Islam in their relative cultural strengths is simply absurd.

In addition, there is an attempt here to equate the imagined persecution of Christians with the very real discrimination and repression of civil rights that many actual MINORITIES have experienced in the US. We've even seen the dirty truth of that made clear in this thread ... after all, why should WE care about what 0.00001% of the population thinks, wants or needs, right?

Religion has the strongest protections possible in the United States. Religion has long overwhelmed and undermined politics. It is ABSOLUTELY ASININE to suggest that Christians in the US are being persecuted for their faith or that they suffer discrimination in any comparable way with, for example, LGBT Americans.

The irony of the situation listening to the whining and crying here about Christians being mistreated because they can't just shut down something they dislike, like the play that is at least the erstwhile topic of discussion here ... is beyond ludicrous.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Not a Christian.

But last I checked Christians weren't doing plays about Adam being gay

It's only the desperate attention starved degenerate artists who do so.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   

But if Christians do it it isn't filth?

Some Christians love them some filth don't they? ... they love saying it, thinking about it, trying to forbid it to others ... ever notice the degree of repressed sexuality they betray in themselves when they're sputtering against someone else living the life they choose?

The reality is, if this were not America, there are some Christians in this country that would make ISIS look like a Boy Scout troupe. There's such a thin veneer over their admiration for those in the world who get to toss gay people off of buildings, they can't really hide it.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Not a Christian.

But last I checked Christians weren't doing plays about Adam being gay

It's only the desperate attention starved degenerate artists who do so.

The play is 20 years old.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: firefromabove

Why does it have to do with being gay? They have done plays, books and movies effectively calling us non-Christians (and atheists) retards.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Because the suggestion that any Biblical figure is gay or lesbian is INSULTING to so many here. They perhaps don't recognize the source of their absurd overreaction. Gay people are as we've seen above (and all too many times from those who are willing to tell the truth) are filthy, degenerate, and abnormal.

THAT is the reason they can't stand to even hear the suggestion that some mythological figment could also be gay.

Let's put the cards on the table, shall we?
edit on 17-4-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   

The play is 20 years old.

But it starting on the 27th April 2017 - what's your point

www.nytimes.com...

“The Most Fabulous Story Ever Told,” starting April 27.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

It's playing in Atlanta on that date. This play causes the same histrionic reaction everywhere it has played outside of NYC.

Check out what happened in Oklahoma City.

If you look at the caption under the photograph, you'll see that production is from 1998.

edit on 17-4-2017 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Well then you're even

Christians and their beliefs are also mocked in mainstream entertainment

In a sitcom, one famous comedian literally urinated on a painting representing Jesus

Another "artist" immersed a carving representing Jesus into a glass of urine and calls it art

The list goes on

If homosexuals are offended by words Christians can take offense to plays that poke fun at the Bible

In fact Adam is a prophet in Islam and the idea that he was gay is revolting to Muslims.

Adam was straight. His wife was a female. They were a healthy and normal HETEROSEXUAL couple, just as how God wanted humans to be

edit on 17-4-2017 by firefromabove because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   

I understand how bad it must have been, but even your paltry experiences with the negative side of Christianity pale in comparison to the good side of Islam. Fundamentalist and outraged Christianity is peanuts. It's first-world problems I'm hearing here. Yet when Islam's far more egregious crimes are mentioned, and reveal the double standards, it doesn't apply, it's no concern, it's crickets.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

I understand how bad it must have been, but even your paltry experiences with the negative side of Christianity pale in comparison to the good side of Islam. Fundamentalist and outraged Christianity is peanuts. It's first-world problems I'm hearing here. Yet when Islam's far more egregious crimes are mentioned, and reveal the double standards, it doesn't apply, it's no concern, it's crickets.

You don't have any idea of what I or anyone else has gone through. You're merely bleating your biases and opinions over and over as fact.

There is no comparison in the United States of the relative power of Christianity vs. Islam. It's an absurd statement to make.

Who have American Muslims thrown off a building? That's right, nobody.

How many LGBT folks have been beaten and bloodied by Christians trying to prove their superiority? Google "hate crimes" for a start.

You're not hearing any problems at all, because that's not the focus on this discussion, and you're merely lying when you claim that Islam gets a pass ... but again, you equate the actions of terrorists with their religion if they're Muslim, but oh the hue and cry if we point out that American Christian terrorists have caused their fair share of deaths in this country.

Then, it's "boo hoo" you're just picking on the Christians. Bah. Inflict that insufferable screed on others as you wish, leave me out of it.

I ignore you for a reason; the unmitigated pomposity drips from every phrase you compose.
edit on 17-4-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join