It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicists create fluid with 'negative mass'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I think hydrophobic surfacing is interesting; we are getting to the point where we can manipulate charges and bonds in arranging them in particles without losing the particle or discovering a new one using focused beams collisions etc. of course as ground breaking as all of these sorts of things are? Nikola Tesla comes to mind; if it cannot be placed at a monthly premium to rape the masses for money over and over again? It never sees the public eye in actual use or development beyond some novelty.

CD burning technology, useless now with MP3 players but 1K USD when they first hit market just for the player, a few years later yay you can burn them, a few years later yay now you can erase and reuse them... the public oh wow neat happy to pay 1K per player every few years when the first damned player could have done all of that.

In such a manner the aphorism "The milk man always rings twice." ring any bells? We are doing ourselves in as an entire species not allowing forward progress constantly looking for capital regress.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   
What no video I won't believe it until I see proof gonna go dig on this one for a bit maybe find some footage thanks

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: BigBrotherDarkness
I think hydrophobic surfacing is interesting

Now you can manufacture omniphobic surfaces. Really useful in some circumstances.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tranceopticalinclined
Slap some magnets inside that fluid, place inside a copper wire lined cylinder or sphere and apply force, harness the energy output.

Sounds like fun.

Not to mention, this could maybe even work for Inertia dampeners.

Possibly even bullet proofing...

Or the Wierding Module from "Dune" that deflects kinetic energy.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
Looks like Newton's law is not a for real law? A fluid that has negative mass has been created, it does the opposite of Newton's second law.

April 17 (UPI) -- A team of physicists at Washington State University have created a fluid that ignores Isaac Newton's Second Law of Motion. The fluid has "negative mass." When it's pushed it accelerates backwards.

Almost all matter in the universe obey's Newton's second law -- matter accelerates in the direction of the force applied to it. The new fluid does the opposite.

This fluid behaves like a superfluid, meaning that particles move in unison without giving up energy. During an experiment a "bowl was broke", the fluid was spilled and the scientists (instead of saying OH sh!t) continued with the experiment and put more lasers on the fluid, this resulted in neg. mass. When the fluid was "pushed" it came toward the force. Odd indeed.

www.upi.com...

The liquid consists of rubidium atoms cooled to a temperature barely greater than absolute zero. The cooled atoms formed a Bose-Einstein condensate, a phase of matter characterized by slow-moving particles that behave like waves. The matter behaves like a superfluid, meaning its particles move in unison without sacrificing energy.

Researchers used lasers to cool the liquid in a tiny bowl. When scientists broke the bowl, the rubidium atoms rushed outwards. Scientists applied a second set of lasers to alter the spin of the out-rushing atoms. As a result, the atoms took on negative mass.

I didn't check the links, but caught you said, after the lasers were applied, it resulted in negative mass.

Would you say this ability to effect negative mass was conditional on the lasers?

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I scrolled through and didn't see an actual reply to your question. Did anybody answer your question about negative gravity???

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I think it acts like a liquid in micro terms and when you push it a wave hits you back instantly then releasing the energy forwards inside itself. So its like a shock absorber without movement (like being squeezed). Maybe I got all of the idea wrong. Anyways. I don't believe this has a usage for antigravity.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: olddognewtricks
a reply to: butcherguy

I scrolled through and didn't see an actual reply to your question. Did anybody answer your question about negative gravity???

If you could have negative mass a side effect would be negative gravity, But would be hard to tell say i had a ball of negative mass its in earths gravity well which would be much grater than my baseball. So the effect i would see is when i drop my anti ball it would fall slightly slower. You wouldnt be able to make flying machines either. The mass of the vehicle would far outweigh any effects we get from anti mass.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Almost all matter in the universe obey's Newton's second law -- matter accelerates in the direction of the force applied to it. The new fluid does the opposite.

A new era of G suits.

Faster fighter aircraft with pilots being able to take more g's.

??

Nice. That would be pretty epic.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Sorry if this has already been posted, but Netflix made a movie about Bose-Einstein Condensate. One of my favourite actions movies!

ETA: Movie is called Spectral. I don't want to ruin the movie as the Bose-Einstein Condensate has to do with main plot. But worth the watch. The movie suggests an incredible unstoppable weapon can be made from it.
After Nazi-Esque experiments of course lol. Excuse me as I go line my house and car with ceramic plating now...
edit on 19-4-2017 by WhyDidIJoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Just goes to show that as science continues to master all it can, it is also surprised by its findings constantly. Its ability to aid our world and further the human race is certainly a gift within its self, to ourselves.

This kind of finding really should put the question to everyone out there, that you should question everything and push yourself to exceed what others tell you is impossible because generally, its only impossible once the mind decides so.

Good post, ill read into this a bit more

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Great, another 'state' of matter. How many are there now? I stopped counting after the Bose-Einstein condensate.

Practical applications? Superconductors obviously. Wouldn't that be cool? Sorry, poor physics joke, I'll see myself out.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

originally posted by: TarzanBeta

originally posted by: dragonridr

originally posted by: TarzanBeta
If you spray gasoline on a fire, the fire will travel towards you.

Maybe the substance actually makes laser light "catch-on fire" but instead of fire, it is catching on this substance.

More accurately, I wonder if they weighed the substance after the experiment... If I'm right, it should have gained something.

In other words, maybe in an odd way, I am suggesting that this substance converts laser light into matter or substance; whereas fire is the breaking down of matter into light, among many other things.

Wild, yeah. Just using that good ole-fashioned intuition.

ETA - further speculation: considering the substance is near Absolute zero, and considering its superfluidity, it seems like the conditions are right for the substance to trap lightsgy which it absorbs and maybe even convert that light energy into matter.

No your kind of describing something called band theory which granted would explain the results. Band theory uses conduction much like your fire and now that i think about it could possibly explain the results. But that would mean they didnt change matter to a negative charge it only seemed that way.

Indeed, I considered that not all movement is necessarily what it seems.

Don't know band theory, I'll check it out. Thanks!

Have not read the paper but i have a feeling they are being misleading and talking about effective mass.
see you can simulate negative mass by say moving electrons to one side of an atom. You create an area that seems to have negative mass. But it requires the constant use of laser to keep one side of our atom empty creating a void.

There is actually programs that write these articles i suspect one was in use here. Used to be writers would do research talk to others before publishing. Now the computer program helps them write the science involved and throws in big scientific words.

That's not only disingenuous, but maybe even stupid... Interesting things like this are not announced every single day. It would seem more effort would be applied for these kinds of things.

At any rate, I still wonder. If you hit an object with something that has an incredible rate of atomic velocity with something that has almost no rate of atomic velocity, at the very least it seems that when the cold object is hit, the atomic structure would gain energy. If only one side of the object is developing more atomic velocity, but the other side of that object is not, but instead acts as a barrier against the faster particles, then the faster particles have no where to go except in the direction of the source which allowed them to move more freely.

Here's a really weird metaphor.

You have a concrete fence full of a million gargoyles. These gargoyles are the hardest substance. They could hardly be broken or moved.

On one side, you have a magical ray that can turn these hard gargoyles into soft, fleshy gargoyles, but with extreme effort.

When the gargoyles attain flesh, their only desire is to MOVE.

But there are nearly a million gargoyles behind them...

So you fire the ray and the first line of gargoyles come to life.

Immediately, they seek to escape the fence. But because they aren't as hard, they can't go backwards. It's far too much work and the ray only invigorates them.

So, they naturally move in the direction of the ray that gave them life - and the more they move towards the ray, the more their motivation to move towards the ray.

Turn the ray off and they suddenly stop and turn to stone again.

But now, they're a little different. They have greater potential energy store because the ray was cut off before they found their destination, which is simply "away".

Therefore, these gargoyles touched by the ray have less fortitude than the ones not touched... Meaning they will be easier to incite the next time around.

It also means that they absorbed energy and therefore they are harder than the others when they freeze, but they are also easier to unleash.

Does this give an idea of what I envision happening here?

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Negative mass, negative energy, those are the exotic matter/energy that one needs to start hyperdrive engine.
"The hyperdrive is leaking" we hear from Star Wars movies. It is it, we need it to jump thru the hyperspace. Be it the drive of Alcubierre, currently developed by NASA officially, or be it the more hard to engineer wormhole tech. Need negative energy and/or negative matter...
So now we got it....

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   

OMG, you do know what that means right?

That Alcubierre drive could actually become a reality!!!

Although the metric proposed by Alcubierre is consistent with the Einstein field equations, it may not be physically meaningful, in which case a drive will not be possible. Even if it is physically meaningful, its possibility would not necessarily mean that a drive can be constructed. The proposed mechanism of the Alcubierre drive implies a negative energy density and therefore requires exotic matter. So if exotic matter with the correct properties does not exist, then the drive could not be constructed.

Hypothetical particles that have "exotic" physical properties that would violate known laws of physics, such as a particle having a negative mass.

source

Probably still decades away, I know right, but just take a moment and let that sink in...Interstellar travel, for # sake!

Had to come from the shadows to give a one big S+F stamp.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Nice step up to help throughout the field and more.
Go (WSU)

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Hate it when you have to question the precision of the article.

And with so many researchers and academics fighting for grants, they quite often don't correct any speculation or inaccuracies if they make their work sound more spectacular than it is. Its like PR for their next grant.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Nice thread. It is frequently changing headings.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join