It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With Trump Pick Aboard, Supreme Court Tackles Religious Rights

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Oh I agree with you.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: rickymouse

Like I said, churches are allowed to discriminate. Public/private institutions that take federal funding are not.

There are a lot of public/private institutions that discriminate. Try getting a scholarship from a group that gets money from the government for black scholarships if you are white. Try getting money or support from an agency gets Federal funding that is for gay rights if you are anti-gay.

Been dealing with the government for a lot of years, discrimination is all over the place. If you make ten bucks more than the poverty guidelines you cannot get help with insulating your house. That is discrimination. Any program that helps only the poor is discriminatory. Any program that supports any particular group is discriminatory.

Churches are not the biggest discriminatory thing in this country. Most try to bring people together to common ground.

link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

a reply to: MotherMayEye

And boys can't join the girl scouts. No non-profit should get tax dollars.
National Association of Black Accountants is a non-profit.

You think religious NPO are the only ones who discriminate? why are they the only one you target?

I would agree that any non-profit that discriminates should not get government grant money (although this topic concerns the issue of separation of church & state). But all non-profits do not discriminate.

So girl scouts need to let boys join?

If they want government grant money, IMO.

link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

And boys can't join the "girl" scouts. LMAO.

Anyway boy and girl scouts are religious organizations.

Well someone better tell them that!

we are a secular organization

www.girlscouts.org...

Can you stop with the snarky responses?

link   

They are not a religious organization. (girl scouts)

Yet boys can't join them ... does this need to be corrected?

Yes. Combine the two into one overall scout organization and remove the religious identity. You can still keep the scouts gender separated for overnight activities, but woodland survival and scouting really doesn't need to have gender boundaries. Anything a boy scout can do, a girl scout can just as easily do.
edit on 17-4-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

I know. Just adding more info to the thread for perusal.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: windword

Like I said, churches are allowed to discriminate. Public/private institutions that take federal funding are not.

If you make ten bucks more than the poverty guidelines you cannot get help with insulating your house. That is discrimination. Any program that helps only the poor is discriminatory.

'Low/Moderate/High income' are not legally protected classes.

ETA: In my mind, we were all talking about exemptions from federal discrimination laws.
edit on 17-4-2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

They are two distinct groups, who are you to tell them they need to combine?

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

You think religious NPO are the only ones who discriminate? why are they the only one you target?

I would agree that any non-profit that discriminates should not get government grant money (although this topic concerns the issue of separation of church & state). But all non-profits do not discriminate.

This is the kind of craziness destroying this country. No, girl scouts should not be forced to allow boys to join. That is beyond insane.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

So taxpayers can't tell the government what to spend on and to create guidelines?

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

This is the kind of craziness destroying this country. No, girl scouts should not be forced to allow boys to join. That is beyond insane.

I support 'freedom of association.' And I don't think the girl scouts should be forced to do anything. But, if they want federal grant money, I think they should not be exempt from discrimination laws.

I think it's insane you thought my comment meant the girl scouts should have to be forced to allow boys in. I made it clear that I don't think they should qualify for government grant money if they practice discrimination.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

So taxpayers can't tell the government what to spend on and to create guidelines?

Taxpayers certainly can determine where their money goes when it comes to a non-profit. It's called donating.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Fine. Then cut off any tax assistance they receive and revoke BSA's federal charter.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   

You may see a school for the blind as an institution that discriminates against seeing people, but if they take tax dollars, they can't violate civil rights laws in keeping with their mission statement. They can't prevent seeing parents from attending PTA meetings, for example.

Churches are allowed to violate civil rights laws, in keeping with their religious mission statements. For the government to look the other way, allowing religious institutions to violate civil rights based on a religious mission statement, while receiving tax dollars, is the same as the government endorsing a religion and sponsoring discrimination.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Well yeah. Outside of a literal "gay check" at the door, how would you ban gays from entering? Need I remind you of the bakery that simply refused to make a cake for two gay people getting married? Just because anti-homosexuality is anti-Christian rhetoric and hypocritical to Jesus' message doesn't mean that it isn't pervasive throughout the religion still.

To be honest, I can't understand what the big deal is anyways. Outside of shacking up in bed with someone of the same gender, gay people are largely the same as non-gay people. I know a bunch myself. And as far as the gay sex thing, what's the big deal? It's just sex...

We have a little flower shop here locally and a gay couple planning to get married wanted flowers, special flowers that take at least a week to get shipped in. It was tuesday and they wanted them for Saturday. The older woman who owned the store told them many times that she could not get them but they could get what she had in stock. These two gay girls decided to bash the business on Facebook. Wrong move. The woman said she could not get the flowers for their gay wedding when they said it was a gay wedding, she is from a different country and older. Apparently they were making a big issue of it being a gay wedding and were trying to force her into ordering flowers, she couldn't they could not be delivered.

So they bashed the owner on Facebook, and the local theater and many people came to the business owners rescue, she supplies the flowers to the theater and some of the people there are gay. She even supplies the flowers for the Transvestite comedy show that comes around once a year. She is not anti-gay, and she can't understand why these pushy girls started trashing her for not being able to get their flowers. Those two girls found how a lot of gay people came to the rescue of this woman who owned the flower shop. They were trying to make a cake incident here, that did not go over well, they got slammed by everyone including the gays.

It is the pushy people that start trouble, these two girls actually made more people anti-gay by their actions than anyone. Thankfully some well known gay people came to the rescue of the florist. But not everyone who heard of the incident knew that some in the gay community were defending the florist, so the overall impact of the gay couple's slander led to more anti-gay sentiment here. The woman who owns that flower shop is very nice, but she is an immigrant and her understanding of our language and particularly some of the social aspects is still lacking a bit. She tried to be polite and could not understand what she had done wrong. Pushy gays do more to stimulate anti-gay attitudes than anything else.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Fine. Then cut off any tax assistance they receive and revoke BSA's federal charter.

Sheer lunacy.

The only thing that should happen is all NPO should not get tax dollars. They should sink or swim based on donations.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Giving me an anecdote of some gay people acting like fools isn't going to magically switch the situation around from the fact that MOST homosexual bigotry in this country originates, unprovoked from Christians. Gay people, after all, are humans too. I'd imagine that in the millions of gay people on the planet, finding two insufferable douches within the group shouldn't be too hard.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I agree, how can a boy qualify as a girl.....girl is right in the name.

You stick boys and girls together in tents in a campground and you may have possible problems nine months later.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

The opposite is also true. Anti-gay Christians lead to more anti-Christian sentiment.

Just thought I'd point that out.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Sheer lunacy.

The only thing that should happen is all NPO should not get tax dollars. They should sink or swim based on donations.

Apparently you are trying to extend a separation of church and state issue to all NPO's. I have no problem with non-religious NPO's and they can still receive tax money. Because there is no separation of church and state there. They, as a secular NPO, have to adhere 100% to the state's laws and regulations lest they get shut down by the state. Religious NPO's can ignore state laws and discriminate due again to separation of church and state. This is fine, but if you are going to benefit from not having to obey federal law, then you can't benefit from taxes.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join