It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With Trump Pick Aboard, Supreme Court Tackles Religious Rights

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: Krazysh0t

So you are for stripping all government funding from all church related groups?

I am!

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Ok, I did understand what you meant.

As I said, every state would be 'effected' by the ruling, and if they rule in favor of the church, then taxpayers will be 'effected,' too.

Don't make a statement of fact without a source.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Separation of Church and State.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I am!

I am for stripping it from all non-profits. All, or none.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

It matters to me ,as it is the op and I am interested in the answer to that question.
Or are you the official spokesperson for the op?

I think you are confused about the first amendment.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Apparently you don't understand the issue here. The issue is the government promoting a religion with our money.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

Apparently you don't understand the issue here. The issue is the government promoting a religion with our money.

Take Missouri to court over it, because they are already giving out the grants to religious groups.

Now how exactly are spare tires promoting a religion?

I am really glad we have you to decide these matters, we should abolish the courts, you are clearly far more qualified than 9 Supreme Court Justices.
edit on 17-4-2017 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

By the way, the Governor is already giving these churches the grants.

So that makes it right?
I wonder if you would support giving your money to Mosques and their Sharia Law? After all you said ALL non-profit orgs should receive funding equally.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

"freedom!"

You going to answer now? Your op your question. It is related and not as simple as you would like.

www.catholiccharities-md.org...
$120 MILLION in Md alone

Stop a lutheran daycare from getting grant money to fix a playground surface and strip 120 Million from charities in your backyard?

Equal protection case, no?

link   

Uh you're being obtuse. Your attempt at insult is weak.

Anyway I am just trying to get you to see the issue and why we have problem with it.

Have a good day.

link   

I already answered your question; that is unless you need me to explain to you what "Separation of Church and State" means.
edit on 17-4-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Ok, I did understand what you meant.

As I said, every state would be 'effected' by the ruling, and if they rule in favor of the church, then taxpayers will be 'effected,' too.

Don't make a statement of fact without a source.

What? There's no ruling yet, how can I provide a source?

Or are you asking for a source that says federal law applies equally to all states? Or a source that says government grant money comes from taxes?

Federal law is created at the national level, and applies to the entire nation (all 50 states and the District of Columbia), and U.S. territories. The U.S. Constitution forms the basis for federal law; it establishes government power and responsibility, as well as preservation of the basic rights of every citizen.

Link

Federal government grants are created through legislation that is passed by the U.S. House of Representatives (a.k.a. Congress) and signed into law by the President. These grants are financed with taxpayer dollars and are available for a variety of purposes, depending on the type of applicant and the government agency. Currently, there are 26 Federal agencies that provide government grants.

Link

The State receives funding from various tax revenue sources. Some revenue sources are directly from State tax dollars, while other funding comes from the federal government to the State for disbursement. The State has agencies established that are similar to federal agencies to oversee functions of government in a particular area. You have the State departments of justice, education, community development (housing), economic development, transportation, and financing. Each agency offers state government grants to qualifying not-for-profits, individuals, cities, counties, and corporations. Many of the state government grants do not go directly to an individual, but are awarded to not-for-profits or governmental entities to then offer services to individuals or, in some cases, pay direct cost for individuals.

Link

This conversation has become asinine, now.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Government is a bit "schizo" and/or convoluted in this matter of tax money to religious organizations:

Mosque Linked to Muslim Brotherhood Has Received Fed Grants

edit on 17-4-2017 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

No not equal protection case because religious organizations are exempt from equal protection. They are allowed to discriminate due to separation of church and state.

link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Cut them off too. Muslims aren't special in this regard even though I know you brought that up because you think us liberals would argue exceptions for them.

link   

What? There's no ruling yet, how can I provide a source?

Then don't make the claim.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

It pains me to say this but I have to agree with you on this one.
Churches should depend on tithes and offerings.Maybe they should
have a yard and bake sale to get the money for the playground stuff.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: queenofswords

Cut them off too. Muslims aren't special in this regard even though I know you brought that up because you think us liberals would argue exceptions for them.

I am fine with either or. Either cut all NPO or cut none of them. If all religions have equal access no religion is being promoted.

link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

It pains me to say this but I have to agree with you on this one.
Churches should depend on tithes and offerings.Maybe they should
have a yard and bake sale to get the money for the playground stuff.

I agree. And so should all non profit groups. If I want to give to them I will, my money should not be given against my wishes.

link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

I am!

I am for stripping it from all non-profits. All, or none.

All non-profits aren't exempt from discrimination laws. All non-profits are not equal. I don't want my tax dollars going to organizations that discriminate...many churches do in their hiring practices. For example, I wanted to bid on a graphic design project for the church my sister-in-law works for, but they exclusively hire Christians.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join