It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With Trump Pick Aboard, Supreme Court Tackles Religious Rights

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

They requested state money, not federal.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

I posted a link that shows catholic charities in st louis shows 42% of their budget comes from government grants.
If catholic charities gets govt money why shouldn't Lutherans?

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Correct. But the case is being heard in federal court (SCOTUS). Whatever they decide will not just apply to Missouri, it will apply to all states (and to federal grant money, too, if they find in favor of the church).
edit on 17-4-2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

I haven't heard about that but you're right others should receive funding equally. I don't agree with it. I think it's wrong and in violation of the separation of church and state.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Good point! If you don't pay taxes to begin with then you have no authority to be seeking money from the state.

I agree.

Planned Parenthood Federation of America, Inc. (PPFA), or Planned Parenthood, is a nonprofit organization that provides reproductive health care in the United States and globally. It is a tax-exempt corporation under Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(3),[4

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   

You're right but that doesn't matter. The Constitution still applies.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

Correct. But the case is being heard in federal court (SCOTUS). Whatever they decide will not just apply to Missouri, it will apply to all states (and to federal grant money, too, if they find in favor of the church).

It will apply to all states, but may not effect all states.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Not sure what you mean by that. If they find in favor of the church, they will take the decision out of every state's hands.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

You're right but that doesn't matter. The Constitution still applies.

Of course it does. I was unaware anyone was arguing it does not.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Oh so now "religious non profits" are different?
Please enlighten me as to how?

tlclckids.com...
vs
www.cccnmo.org...

It appears the only difference is who is lobbying for them.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

Not sure what you mean by that. If they find in favor of the church, they will take the decision out of every state's hands.

I will make it easier to understand.

Let's say a ruling is made that all cancer victims must pay 50% of costs. The ruling would apply to all people, but only effect those with cancer.

This ruling will apply to all states, but will only effect states that are doing what Missouri is doing. And even then it would only effect them if they do not change anything, they would have the opportunity to change how/who they give grants to.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Missouri's new governor, Republican Eric Greitens, injected some uncertainty into the high court case on Thursday, when he directed state agencies to allow religious groups and schools to receive taxpayer money for playgrounds and other purposes.

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Look. I already told you that I don't agree with the RCC getting tax money, but if the government defines religious non-profits as different than churches, then that is what they do.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I was just thinking about all the grant money Catholic Charities received from the government to handle all those unaccompanied minors that poured across our southern border in 2014 and 2015. They got huge $$$$ from the government to provide all kinds of services. How is that any different in the bigger picture.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   

So you are for stripping all government funding from all church related groups?

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   

First Amendment has been incorporated into states so again it doesn't matter. It still violates the separation of church and state.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Ok, I did understand what you meant.

As I said, every state would be 'effected' by the ruling, and if they rule in favor of the church, then taxpayers will be 'effected,' too.

link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
I was just thinking about all the grant money Catholic Charities received from the government to handle all those unaccompanied minors that poured across our southern border in 2014 and 2015. They got huge $$$$ from the government to provide all kinds of services. How is that any different in the bigger picture.

Exactly! and now we have a group that wants to end that money; until they realized who it went to.

link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

So you are for stripping all government funding from all church related groups?

Doesn't matter if he is for it or against it. We have First Amendment. Don't like it? Amend it again.

link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

First Amendment has been incorporated into states so again it doesn't matter. It still violates the separation of church and state.

Why bother with a Supreme court when we have you?

By the way, the Governor is already giving these churches the grants. So apparently you are incorrect.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join