It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With Trump Pick Aboard, Supreme Court Tackles Religious Rights

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: rickymouse

I would say that the day care center......in this case.....should be able to get funding for the rubber playground mat as long as the grant is available to any similar program or business.

Grant money isn't unlimited. There are winners and losers. I don't think that rubber mats to should be granted to a playground that won't allow the children of a gay couple to play on it, for example.

I am sure there are plenty of private day care centers that are not affiliated with a church that would deny children of gay people. In fact, I would tend to believe private non christian centers might actually be more involved in denying gays equal rights. Maybe there are some places more bias in this country than here, but in most churches here, gay people are not shunned, they are not allowed to promote their activities in a church setting though. They are welcome to participate in church functions around here, god does not say gays cannot believe in him. True Christians are not suppose to judge.

Maybe you do not understand Christianity as well as you think you do. You cannot take a small percentage of bad churches and judge the whole religion.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

If SCOTUS sides with the church, does that mean the once-proposed Ground Zero mosque ('Community Center,' including daycare & preschool) project might be revived and able to request grant money? IIRC they once requested $5 million in grant money.

I hope SCOTUS doesn't find in favor of the church on this because I don't think it's Constitutional and I dread how a favorable opinion would be worded.

Nothing against Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc...I just don't agree that churches should be eligible for government/taxpayer grant money.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
I really don't see a difference between a church and any other non-profit organization. They're all the same to me I don't see what the big deal is. I think the only people who care are those who hate Christians.

If it was Scientology you and me would be against it. Stop with the "Christian hate" baiting.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   

I am sure there are plenty of private day care centers that are not affiliated with a church that would deny children of gay people. In fact, I would tend to believe private non christian centers might actually be more involved in denying gays equal rights.

You can believe this all day, but without proof that you can't say it is true. Got any evidence of non-religious daycare centers discriminating against children of gay couples?

Plus, it has been a fact of life that the leaders of anti-gay mentality in this country are Christian. The fundamentalist Christian community has speardheaded most to all anti-gay rhetoric and positions in this country. So I'm curious why you'd be willing to believe that Christians would be innocent from discriminating against gay people while the non-Christians would suddenly be less tolerant.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   

I was reading about this yesterday and I don't have a good feeling about it at all. Religion already has a foothold in government that it should not, Tangerine is stating that it's appropriate for Churches to get involved in politics. Soon enough we'll be throwing gay people off roofs. Religious governing is bad.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Yeah. I wonder how popular these violations of separation of church and state would be if they involved muslims instead of Christians. I imagine the very same Christians defending this would be up in arms about incoming Sharia law or some other such nonsense. All the while failing to see the irony that this is the reason why we just keep church and state separate to begin with. To avoid these idiotic hypocrisies and arguments.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Shouldn't the church members open their wallets wider? Or close the business part if they can't afford it.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Is that in Missouri?

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Well I'm pretty sure that Gorsuch isn't a religious extremist so I doubt things'll get that bad, but I agree that I'm not hopeful about this case and the direction it will lead us as a country.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   
So no funding for religious groups eh?
www.washingtontimes.com...

The Church and related Catholic charities and schools have collected more than $1.6 billion since 2012 in U.S. contracts and grants in a far-reaching relationship that spans from school lunches for grammar school students to contracts across the globe to care for the poor and needy at the expense of Uncle Sam, a Washington Times review of federal spending records shows.

And a little more local
www.ccstl.org...

www.ccstl.org...
42% of their funding comes from "government grants and fees"

The case sited is not the first or the last "religious non profit" to try to get grant money from the government. It appears they just don't have enough lobbyists on their behalf or they would have no problem getting government funding.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Like I said, churches are allowed to discriminate. Public/private institutions that take federal funding are not.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

No. But it was federal grant money they requested, so it still concerned federal/Constitutional law. Doesn't matter where this church is located...it's going to be heard in the highest federal court in the country.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

See. This is wrong. The government shouldn't be giving the RCC tax money. ESPECIALLY not the RCC with how rich that organization is.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Like I said, churches are allowed to discriminate. Public/private institutions that take federal funding are not.

That's a very good point. I wonder if they thought that far ahead. If churches receive federal fundings then they will HAVE to admit all kinds of people. Oh and think about the gay marriage. (I think I hear some Fundies screaming in background).

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

That's a very good point. I wonder if they thought that far ahead. If churches receive federal fundings then they will HAVE to admit all kinds of people. Oh and think about the gay marriage. (I think I hear some Fundies screaming in background).

And, for example, will Catholics have to hire Baptist ministers?

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Don't worry. DAF, the legal group in the OP, is already ready for that in the wings. The next religious case on the docket is the gay marriage case from back in 2012.

Alliance Defending Freedom, which also opposes gay marriage, transgender protections and abortion, has another major case involving religion that the Supreme Court could take up in its term beginning in October. It represents a Colorado bakery’s Christian owner who argues the Constitution’s promise of religious freedom means he should not have to make a wedding cake for a gay couple.

edit on 17-4-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Usually the ones screaming about Sharia are the ones who demand prayer in public schools. The only difference between Sharia and any other religious law is how they refer to God and prostration.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   

It appears to be a equal protection case to me.
If the state of Missouri is providing any kind of funding to any rcc related non profit then they can not deny any other religious non profit.
Their own website in St Louis shows they get 42% of their budget from the govt(state and fed).

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   

That isn't the issue. The issue is the government promoting a religion with our taxes. Hence it's in violation of separation of state and church.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Well hold on. This isn't a religious non-profit. It's an actual church trying to upgrade its day-care center attached to it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join