It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey Staff - A couple of Questions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Perhaps this has been asked and answered already (sorry 'bout that)... But how do I do a "Hard Line Break" (I think you call it) in my signature?
ie
Today it looks like this: Everyone Has A Guardian Angel... Only A Chosen Lucky Few Has A Belgian Malinois!
but I'd like to make it look like:

Everyone Has A Guardian Angel...
Only A Chosen Lucky Few Has A Belgian Malinois!

Also (minor issue):
Something that has annoyed me since I signed up here on ATS, is that the Time Zone setting in "Account Setting -> Basic Info" keeps on changing on me? I set the right TZ (GMT +1), but as soon as I hit "Submit" it changes to another TZ (GMT +4 or GMT +5)

Okay, Thanks
Bobby

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Try this:

It leaves a gap, but it's something else you can start working with.

Cheers

edit on 1642017 by Snarl because: misfire

edit on 1642017 by Snarl because: ooh better

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: BobbyRock

I'd like to put commas in my signature, too.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   

you could read up on char injections or just use intrptrs advice and use a comma. Those seem to be interpreted as html break tags or am I missreading someting??

Look at my signature, I checked and all I did was copy and paste that text from a texteditor, it seems that did the trick for me [br](unknowing of the problem)
edit on 16-4-2017 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
Try this:

It leaves a gap, but it's something else you can start working with.

Cheers

Thanks, but what I'm looking for was if there's a "Code" to put inside [ ] that works as a "line breaker" - like the HTML "br"..... (I've tried your way earlier, but didn't like the gap.....).
edit on 4162017 by BobbyRock because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Timezone:

set it to your timezone, click apply/submit and DO NOT change anything. Everytime you change something in your account settings, make sure do this as the last step before you close the tab / go on with your stuff.

Don´t get confused by the dropdown menu showing the wrong timezone

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   
btw, since I´m also a lucky mali owner, I´ll dive into this for you xD. give me a minute....

got it after seconds:

just dont escape the tags on each line and you should be fine. Seems the escape tag adds a paraphrase / break tag. Credits go to Snarl for doing the main work....

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
btw, since I´m also a lucky mali owner, I´ll dive into this for you xD. give me a minute....

Thanks, I think I've, with a lot of help, have fixed the text "thing"....
TZ still puts me in Abu Dhabi, when I hit Submit tho..... A well, guess one can't have everything......
edit on 4162017 by BobbyRock because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

based on your timezone you should be sitting in central/east europe and this post should display as 00:50 to you. Again, go to your settings, choose your time zone, click apply/submit and do not change anything. Then you should be fine. My timezone also shows Abu Dabi.

it´s because the field value from the database that hold the index to your timezone is not resolved when loading the account settings page. A long long standing bug.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Thanks Everyone!!!

Bobby

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter

based on your timezone you should be sitting in central/east europe and this post should display as 00:50 to you. Again, go to your settings, choose your time zone, click apply/submit and do not change anything. Then you should be fine. My timezone also shows Abu Dabi.

it´s because the field value from the database that hold the index to your timezone is not resolved when loading the account settings page. A long long standing bug.

Big Thanks
I've followed your advice about TZ, but as I said, as soon as I hit Submit and page reload I'm back in Abu Dhabi TZ.... I guess I have to live with it.....
Thanks again
Bobby

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

you´re welcome.
again - the TZ always shows abu dabi for everyone.... Just choose your desired TZ, apply and then never mind what the dropdown menu says. Look at my post, it should show 01:07 or 01:08 if you´re GMT+1

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: BobbyRock
Perhaps this has been asked and answered already (sorry 'bout that)... But how do I do a "Hard Line Break" (I think you call it) in my signature?
ie
Today it looks like this: Everyone Has A Guardian Angel... Only A Chosen Lucky Few Has A Belgian Malinois!
but I'd like to make it look like:

LRN HOW 2 TRIFORCE.

▲▲

God Damn it !!! Oo
edit on 17-4-2017 by PastaHat because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-4-2017 by PastaHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   
One of these days I will master the rules of the matrix...       

▲
       ▲ ▲

But til then I will just have to study the ways of things.
who can ever tell
knock knock neo...

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I have a question for you and staff.
For you, why do you think it's a good idea to obscure your member name and do you even care if it's against the rules?

New Rules for Avatars and Mini-Profile Backgrounds (Updated Opening Post: 2016)

Background colors and imagery that obscure your member name are not allowed.

For Staff, what guidelines do you use to determine if the name is obscured?
ISO 9241-3, Ergonomic requirements for office work with visual display terminals (VDTs) - Part 3: Visual display requirements, mentions a minimum contrast ratio for legibility of 3:1 and even higher contrast ratios are recommended for smaller fonts and for people with less than perfect vision.

By the way the contrast ratio currently of the OP's member name is 1.11 to 1 versus the at least 3 to 1 ISO requirement for legibility. This is the OP's 1.11 to 1:

The contrast ratio on verschickter's name is 3.65 to 1 which is above the 3.0 minimum ISO requirement:

So in my book when it's less than 3.0 contrast, it's obscured by insufficient contrast but maybe you folks need to spell this out a little more clearly since "obscured" might mean different things to different people. Maybe some people think a 1.11 to 1 contrast is legible and not obscured, though that's a stretch if you ask me.

You might also consider the Web content accessibility guidelines which say the 3.0 minimum might be ok for large text 18 point or larger, but for smaller text they recommend even higher contrast of 4.5 to 1, as explained here:

www.w3.org...

1.4.3 Contrast (Minimum): The visual presentation of text and images of text has a contrast ratio of at least 4.5:1, except for the following: (Level AA)

Large Text: Large-scale text and images of large-scale text have a contrast ratio of at least 3:1...

18 point text or 14 point bold text is judged to be large enough to require a lower contrast ratio.
My member name uses the ATS default which has a contrast ratio of 4.66 to 1 which meets both the large text 3.0 to 1 and the smaller text 4.5 to 1 contrast ratio minimums, so ATS did a good job selecting the defaults.

The ATS "obscured" statement doesn't mention any contrast ratio and without such reference maybe that's discretionary but to me it looks like the discretion could be better by both some members who choose horribly low contrast ratios, and staff who maybe don't really know where to draw the line if they are even still enforcing this rule.

Rules aside, I think it's unkind to other ATS members to make your member name too hard to read.

edit on 2017420 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

A Moderator said this color setting was "Okay", so I'm gonna stick with it......

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Mine loads correctly. The simulation must be handing the object that is me correctly.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: BobbyRock

A Moderator said this color setting was "Okay", so I'm gonna stick with it......
I looked up the definition of "obscure" as in "Background colors and imagery that obscure your member name are not allowed."

Here's what I found:

www.merriam-webster.com...

obscure: 1c - not clearly seen or easily distinguished : faint
It seems to me that your low contrast member name fits that definition of obscure so perfectly they could put a picture of it next to the word in the dictionary as an example. So if the moderator you mention hasn't got Skeptic Overlord to modify the rule language to something other than "obscure", then your member name isn't the only thing that's obscure, the application of this rule is too and thus my question to staff especially skeptic overlord stands, regarding what is meant by obscure in this rule.

Do you really think your member name is clearly seen or easily distinguished, and not faint? Really? And if not, don't you think the advice the moderator gave you contradicts the rule about not being obscure? I'll bet you can't read text with that contrast at all outside on my smartphone.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   

1. What has this to do with anything I asked about in my OP? You're thread drifting, stay on topic or start your own thread, Thank you!

2. I actually have another thread where Skeptic Overlord commented, WITHOUT once bringing to my attention something wrong with the color choices I'd made.... so again, I'll STICK with this one (and I bet even you would be able to read it on my 24" screen or even on my 15.6" laptop screen)

3. Don't you have anything better to do? Then I suggest you get a hobby.

4. Personally, I'm more interested in what people say in their posts, than what "handle" (as in name/nickname) they have....

Slightly off topic....
5. Why are you having a phallos like pic as avatar? I bet that break one or two ATS rules....... (sorry I'm to lazy to look it up tho.) But, please don't worry. I couldn't care less what pic you are using.......

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   

it just looks darker when snipped and less quality because the otherwhise clear edges blur out, compare it.
I think my nick is very readable, and I even use the dark layout.

But you are right, WAY to many do this. It´s very annoying. But the way BobbyRocks colors are set does not make it difficult to read his nick on my screen. tried both, it´s readable for me (don´t know how it was earlier though.
edit on 21-4-2017 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join