It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Actual Situation Re Poverty, Opioids, and Education in Appalachia: Kentucky Edition

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Meanwhile, those kids will be going to K. What will Betsy do to help those teachers? Those kids?

You know buzzy, you are always talking about how you have so much experience in that field so why not do something about it and move there for awhile and educate them on how to do it.

I am retired now and caring full-time for my husband who is a disabled veteran. Thanks for asking, though. I'd be happy to educate them on how to do it. If you'll notice, the teachers know what to do. Did you watch the video? It's only 20 minutes of your precious time. There are people there who know how to do it. There will NEVER be jobs there for those parents unless more is going on. Have a company open up and hire those locals to help fix the infrastructure.

Ever heard of the New Deal? Do you honestly think those people would not work if they could?

And, in answer directly to your question, for now ALL I CAN DO IS SPREAD THE KNOWLEDGE ON THE INTERNET. Stop shutting me down, and let the people learn. How about that? And you wouldn't even have to move!

edit on 4/17/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I see no reason to discuss the actual topic at hand because of identity politics...

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
But I digress.

"to stray off of something, to wander from a path, or to turn aside, etc.".

In other words.
Derailing your own thread in the OP...
Classy!

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Stop shutting me down,

Who is shutting you down?

Like BFFT said this would have been a great topic but once you had to turn it into a typical liberal rant you kind of sealed your threads fate.

Why was this not an issue for you when Obama was running the country, this didn't just become a problem when Trump was elected.

Good luck on your next "I care all of a sudden" thread.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Stop shutting me down,

Who is shutting you down?

Like BFFT said this would have been a great topic but once you had to turn it into a typical liberal rant you kind of sealed your threads fate.

Why was this not an issue for you when Obama was running the country, this didn't just become a problem when Trump was elected.

Good luck on your next "I care all of a sudden" thread.
It WAS an issue when Obama was running the country. Is there some part of I used to be a Social Worker helping Children & Families that you do not understand? I'm doing my job here, right now. The unwilling audience doesn't want to look the cause of it in the face. The unwilling audience also does not want to fund the helpers to go in and give these families relief.

The unwilling audience thinks Social Workers are trash, and so are their clients. The unwilling audience does not give a crap about other families - but expects them to "move."

They don't want to help the kids with food, or give their parents rehab treatment and jobs.

And, news flash: That's what it takes. Educating parents, re-educating them if their jobs have become obsolete.

You can't take away a man's horse and plow and tell him to figure out how to till the land without it. Did you watch the video? I posted a second one. Watch both of them, and then rather than sniping at me like you normally do, come back and tell me what YOUR plan is.

edit on 4/17/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

And in response to your "all of a sudden" quip? Utter rubbish.

Read my thread history here. And get back to me.

edit on 4/17/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: sorry not a coder

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   

And in response to your "all of a sudden" quip? Utter rubbish. Read my thread history here. And get back to me.

I didn't see any threads about it so if you can link me that would be great.

P.s that is not your posting history.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Do you honestly think those people would not work if they could?

That's an excellent question. I'm not at all sure that they would; or perhaps better, what percentage of them would work if it was available. I wouldn't assume that it would be a high percentage, of course it might be, I'm just saying assuming it would be probably isn't warranted and could end up wasting resources.

There is a certain sense in which working or not working are habits. It seems to me, wherever you want to lay or divide up the blame, that some of these folks are habituated to not working. For those people, the notion of showing up every day to work isn't necessarily very appealing. For some of them, it might be unappealing enough they either wouldn't or couldn't hold a job for any length of time, maybe unappealing enough that they wouldn't even start one, despite what would seem to be rather obvious benefits to some of us. I know people like this. My father used to say that "not working" changes a man, and not for the better, I think there's some truth in that.

Add drugs to the mix, I'm speaking of a serious problem of course, and those people aren't likely to be much good as employees any time soon, if ever, even with "treatment".

You know, I'm sorry to say this, but the reality is that not everyone is going to "Make it". We might need to start triaging these situations, finding solutions for those unlikely to pull out of the tail spin that involve a minimum of resources and conserving those resources for the use of those that might still be "saved" for lack of a better word.

Maybe it needs to be nothing more than 3 hots and a cot for those that aren't likely to "Make it", again for lack of a better word. That's cheap enough to do I think. Save the bulk of the resources for giving a hand up to those that show some "signs of life", to use a horse racing term.

Resources are not unlimited. The working middle class just can't give anymore, and frankly shouldn't be asked to, no matter how sad the story.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   

And in response to your "all of a sudden" quip? Utter rubbish. Read my thread history here. And get back to me.

Wait a minute....
edit on 2017-04-17T16:53:10-05:002201717America/Chicago4 by c2oden because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   

You're right- the link only leads to your own thread history. However I did go to the Op's profile and look at her thread history and I'm not really sure what kind of connection she is asking you to make- I'm not really seeing threads aimed toward educating the public about the underpriveleged, unemployed or downtrodden there.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   

I wonder how many regretful "success stories" you have influenced.

I would hate to become a "statistic".

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

OMG dude what do you want with bothering me?

I have influenced more stories than you have ever heard or (assuming you actually study) read about.
You will only be a "statistic" of the havock and mayhem that your elected and "picked for the team" people do.

I've told you.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I stand in "Told" mode.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

OMG dude what do you want with bothering me?

I have influenced more stories than you have ever heard or (assuming you actually study) read about.
You will only be a "statistic" of the havock and mayhem that your elected and "picked for the team" people do.

I've told you.

BWAAAAA.

Sure you have buzzy, sure.

This is the Internet, a place where you can be whatever you want to be.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Wow, what a dumpster fire!

Could have been a good thread too!

Can we blame Trump for all the poverty found across the US or only in KY?

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   

a reply to: luciferslight

The jobs are there the problem is libs don't want to work they just want hand outs.

wouldn't disagree on that.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
a reply to: luciferslight

jobs? lol nobody is going to hire a bunch of drug addicts, they are basically unemployable, they are unreliable, they steal, nobody is going to hire them no matter how many jobs are available.

you're right. forget training them to work. forget rewiring their brains to improve. let's leave them to rot while we discuss about it until it's not a popular topic anymore. it will all fade in the back of our brains. each to oneself

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 04:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus

why isn`t the state of Kentucky dealing with it? why does everything have to be a federal government issue to deal with?

Can the State of Kentucky afford to deal with it? And isn't the situation in Kentucky a direct consequence of President Reagan's reversal on environmental protection laws, combined with his removal of legislation that had been put in place to prevent exploitational mining practices by allowing private companies to externalise the costs both in terms of damage to the environment and the health and safety of the local population, and the direct workforce? In doing this, Reagan's administration allowed the mountaintops to be strip mined cheaply because the companies did not have to meet those costs, which meant that the profits from those operations flowed out of the state. Because the fines for polluting the air and the water are more cost effective than safe disposal of the waste, very little effort has been made to make disposal safe. Given that such mining operations have been found to be related to up to a 42% increase in birth defects, it is little wonder that those who gave such projects the go-ahead would not want to encourage education. Everywhere that these mining companies go, they create short term boom and bust economies which leave poverty, prostitution and drug abuse once they move on taking all the jobs and the profits with them.

Obama did attempt to limit strip and mountaintop removal mining, much like Carter did before Reagan, if Trump repeats Reagan's support of the miners a handful of people are going to get very, very rich tearing the resources out of the US, and thousands more are going to become drug addled whores, unless the mining companies are made to bear the cost, not the communities they've exploited.

edit on 18-4-2017 by Anaana because: t'ings

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Just to share with you all that yesterday and today have been great -- the local utilities are being upgraded! We got new fire hydrants last year and main lines. Now they're updating the gas lines. The guys out there working are awesome people. I've learned a lot watching them.

I'm happy for them that they have jobs. We all need jobs.
Our water/electric/waste is a non-profit public utility.

I don't know if our gas service is or if it's more like telephone service, but in any case, they are upgrading the main junctions and valves on our street with state-of-the-art equipment. It's very cool.

I actually feel like I'm being "pampered"! This will help my home value - our entire street, actually - we are getting a brand new street. Proper drainage and infrastructure, new pavement, etc. And it's fantastic. This county is doing a good job rebuilding this area. I've lived here 25 years, and it has seen a tremendous amount of growth.

edit on 4/18/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
Wow, what a dumpster fire!

Could have been a good thread too!

Can we blame Trump for all the poverty found across the US or only in KY?
This is disingenuous and shows that you didn't even read past the first paragraph. Get over yo badd self, and pay attention to the meat of this.

We can neither blame him nor give him credit. We can only report on what is happening on the ground.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I think you are cracking up buzzy, what does this have to do with Kentucky???

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Just to share with you all that yesterday and today have been great -- the local utilities are being upgraded! We got new fire hydrants last year and main lines. Now they're updating the gas lines. The guys out there working are awesome people. I've learned a lot watching them.

I'm happy for them that they have jobs. We all need jobs.
Our water/electric/waste is a non-profit public utility.

I don't know if our gas service is or if it's more like telephone service, but in any case, they are upgrading the main junctions and valves on our street with state-of-the-art equipment. It's very cool.

I actually feel like I'm being "pampered"! This will help my home value - our entire street, actually - we are getting a brand new street. Proper drainage and infrastructure, new pavement, etc. And it's fantastic. This county is doing a good job rebuilding this area. I've lived here 25 years, and it has seen a tremendous amount of growth.

Wait...so you didn't know any of this was going to happen in your own community until it began?

And how is your water, electric and waste public non-profit? Do you live in a retirement community or government housing project?

And why is it awesome they're updating? Is it a really old community or are they about to transplant a thousand new residents there?

Who pays for your utilities If you dont?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join