It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Actual Situation Re Poverty, Opioids, and Education in Appalachia: Kentucky Edition

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I'm not blaming it on Trump, and that's a weird conclusion.

When you turn an intro to an apparently apolitical social study into a power rant about how absurd Trump is, what other conclusion to all that jibberish could be found?

I love The Pit. Everyone is so honest with each other here. Muhwahahaha!!

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   
And it all started in a small rural Kentucky town. There were no jobs, no food and no economy. No hope and no future.

The children took matters into their own hands. They started growing their own food. As their parents were wasted and passed out in the bedroom, the children took control of their fate.

They started to organize. They stated to become self sufficient. They started to throw off the shackles of welfare and government and learned to fend for themselves.

It started out with small gardens to provide nourishment and then led to animal husbandry. Now that their bellies were full, they turned their eyes to small comforts. Making things. Fashioning things. Bartering goods among themselves.

Outsiders were completely dumbfounded for where they should have found misery and oppression, they found happiness and contentment. Technology was abandoned and harmony was founded. These children accomplished these feats with the simple ignorance that it couldn't be done.

Thus the revolution was started. Out of pain and misery came the blinding light of self sufficiency and harmony.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Speaking as someone who lives in Kentucky my question would be "Why is there no mention of the reason WHY there are limited jobs available in that county?" Do you think it might be because of the thousands upon thousands of mining jobs lost in Appalachia due to ever increasing regulations passed for "our own good" but with no plans for replacing those lost jobs with other industries?

You see with loss of mining jobs and the governor not presenting industries with great incentives to move to that part of the state people end up with no choice but to go elsewhere. This causes a domino effect resulting in loss of revenue for the remaining local businesses which end up either relocating or going bankrupt. The result is an extreme limit of local job availability and a steep rise in unemployment in the remaining population.

Due to the anxiety and depression of being chronically unemployed many people turn to drug use and prescription opioids are easily and readily available- and extremely addictive. Many who become addicted to prescription opiods move on to heroin because it is much cheaper than Oxycontin. Heroin addiction has become a huge problem in this part of the country even in more urban areas where jobs are plentiful.

You ask what will Trump do about this? What has ANY president done about this? It has been happening for at least a couple of decades. The majority of people just hadn't heard much about it until smart phones made the internet and social media available to just about everyone. The current governor can't even do anything about it as the states low income health insurance program that was created to comply with the Affordable Care Act has basically bankrupted the state. Any and all extra revenue has been pumped into this healthcare system and there is no money for programs for job training or re-education for these people- and the healthcare system has gone belly up. There is no money to grant new businesses incentives to move to these low populated regions, there is no money for any help whatsoever. Even though in Kentucky we pay state and county income taxes when your county has a low population there isn't much in the way of tax revenues to help.

My question to YOU since you're the one to bring it all up is what would you suggest be done? How would YOU draw industry into these areas? What programs would YOU (if you were able) put into place to overcome the poverty and addiction problems?

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I am from small town Eastern Kentucky, grew up dirt poor and this problem has been going on long, long before Trump got in office and now, you somehow want to lay this at his feet or his appointee, like it's something that just started and it's all their fault for not fixing it. You have No. Fu**ing. Clue. how bad this is and a 20 minute docu doesn't make you the expert on Ky's drug problem.
Pissed? Goddamn right. I lived this and now some polItical hack wants to tell me it's the President's fault, or rather, his appointee. Where the fu** was Obama? He had control for years and the problem kept getting worse.

But, hey, anything to slam Trump right?

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Amen, brother !

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   

They will all pretend to "care" about flyover and all it's many people and problems now because we voted for Trump, they hate Trump, and they think they will score points of the problems that aren't directly and immediately addressed as if their own paid any attention.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   
This story should be a warning about what happens when people let conservatism and fundamentalism take over a society.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
This story should be a warning about what happens when people let conservatism and fundamentalism take over a society.

I think this story should star Charlie Sheen because he has Tiger Blood.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I watched the video. I was down in that general area over 20 years ago, we demolished a run down old house and Habitat came in behind us and built the family a new one. Poverty and drugs were a serious problem back then.

Sure they need jobs, those addicted to drugs need help with that, but what specific policies would need to be implemented or how they need to be implemented to get things there back on track, I don' know.

I do however feel safe in saying that they won't be the same ones that have failed to solve the problems, (perhaps even made it worse?), over the last several decades.

Sad situation, probably without any easy answers.

edit on 16-4-2017 by imwilliam because: fixed some awkward wording, not all of it mind you, just a bit

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

They can fly over my ass and kiss every inch. I am fu**ing sick of these hacks. A problem that has existed for decades and now they care.
Where were they when kids were going hungry last year? Or the year before that? When kids were walking around barefoot and no coats in the Winter cause their parents spent money on drugs? But, noooo. Now that Trump is in charge, they can start pointing fingers, never mind that Saint Obama just ignored it.
They can take their virtue signaling, fold till it's all sharp corners and stick it.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
This thread has turned into a good old fashioned beat down.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Reading your comment, an image of a unshaven bum selling fake Rolexes out of a dirty over coat flashed by my minds eye. I wonder why.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Yep, from stupid, igorant Bible and gun clinging deplorables, to those poor, poor drug addicted jobless folks that Trump is ignoring the ones we care sooooooo much about ...

Do they honestly expect people to forget the way they have talked about and treated us for, like, ever?

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

So, tell me....How long have you lived in Eastern Kentucky? How long have you been actually seeing the problem first hand? How well do you know the people? I mean, you must, since you feel qualified to criticize their way of life and the day to day problems?
Or like the OP, just jumping on the "poor people in Kentucky it must be Trump's fault" train and don't really know jack sh** about it?

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

How come this was not an issue for you under the last a$$hat, why do you care so much now?

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   

just gonna leave it here then

You all sort it out.
This is reality. Please address it and sort it out.

You want the "liberals" and "SJWs" to shut the hell up. Fine. Done...

Now - YOU get to own and explain the reality of now.

Your favorite reality-tv show! Trump is President.

I swear, I'm just going to leave my contributions/links here. Whatever yall decide to do, just now I have it on record of my opinion based on facts that are not debatable because they really are facts.

Because facts

How about you don't just leave it here. Where the hell were you 5 years ago? 2? Last year? How about 6 months ago? NOW it's a problem? NOW you want to "make people aware"?
You don't give rat's ass about us, you just want a reason to bash Trump. No thanks. We don't need you. Go back to Starbuck's and let your friends tell you what a good little Liberal you are for telling us something we've known for years.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I just re-read the disjointed OP and it is obvious that it is straight up trolling.
She's looking for lib likes. Not here lib likes here, but elsewhere.

edit on 2017-04-16T20:25:29-05:002201716America/Chicago4 by c2oden because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: c2oden
This thread has turned into a good old fashioned beat down.

You wanna make a Trump bashing thread just make one. Why it has to define every single other issue no matter how unrelated is just nuts. It's already past the benchmark found in nature documentaries, how it basically isn't possible to see one and enjoy nature without somehow getting guilt tripped over climate change.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: c2oden

Yeah. Too bad OP doesn't have the nerve to come back and tell me where was the sympathy and worry when their Messiah was in office, why they suddenly care about a problem that's existed for a long, long time and why is it Trump's fault.
But...OP got in the token signal, so cut out early.

edit on 16-4-2017 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   

This article from The Atlantic is a MUST READ -- especially because it's Easter, and I know lots of you have that whole Easter thing going on in your consciousness today, like remembering 9/11. Anyway ---

this pseudo-administration which is settling in to its new role as reality tv's worst offering in the history of mankind (this will stand alongside the epic, even the "Western Civ" giant stories, folks.....Caesar Donald! But of course, Western Civ is no longer a requisite for college. Trojan War. Fall of the Soviet Union. The Berlin Wall. WW1. WW2.) And now we have 'Trump' - a man who agrees with whomever last spoke to him, in so-called "charge."

But I digress.

So, in honor of the message of the man Jesus called Christ by some, I offer you this bit of reality:

Where preschool-aged children in

Documentary of the Class of '27

These kids are being provided with bags of food to take home on the weekend, because their parents are not. Where Opioid use is out of control, because there are NO JOBS except the nursing home, the courthouse, the police.....

American kids caught in a cycle of despair, and they don't even know it. Some educators are trying to make a difference. I sent this link to the real Betsy Devos via her FB page.

Now I'm giving it to you guys, and I hope you'll read and watch it.

Because HAPPY EASTER

20 minute documentary of Owsley, Kentucky and its preschoolers and the village dynamics and this is REAL LIFE.

And here's the link to the text that explores scientific research indicating that adversity in childhood has a huge difference on a child's development -- but chronic stress and hunger prevent them from learning.

Articl e exploring how cognition is affected by childhood stress and adversity And while you're watching it, think about the children of that age in Syria.

Just think about it.

JESUS would want you to.

TRANSLATION:

Dear Christian Conservative Trump supporter types,

I know you're probably celebrating your religious holiday, and probably feeling all smug because Trump won and we liberals have been so off the richter ever since, and you know what, F that!

Here you go, Trump's an idiot, and don't forget about all the deadbeat white LOSERS in Kentucky. Because it's EASTER!!!

This proves it: White Losers Are Real!

Happy Easter, and dont forget that I'll be up all night spamming Trump's Twitter account with hate mail!

Enjoy your Easter dinner now, you're welcome!!!

edit on 16-4-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join