It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Actual Situation Re Poverty, Opioids, and Education in Appalachia: Kentucky Edition

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   
This article from The Atlantic is a MUST READ -- especially because it's Easter, and I know lots of you have that whole Easter thing going on in your consciousness today, like remembering 9/11. Anyway ---

this pseudo-administration which is settling in to its new role as reality tv's worst offering in the history of mankind (this will stand alongside the epic, even the "Western Civ" giant stories, folks.....Caesar Donald! But of course, Western Civ is no longer a requisite for college. Trojan War. Fall of the Soviet Union. The Berlin Wall. WW1. WW2.) And now we have 'Trump' - a man who agrees with whomever last spoke to him, in so-called "charge."

But I digress.

So, in honor of the message of the man Jesus called Christ by some, I offer you this bit of reality:

Where preschoolers in Kentucky are being followed in this

Documentary of the Class of '27

These kids are being provided with bags of food to take home on the weekend, because their parents are not. Where Opioid use is out of control, because there are NO JOBS except the nursing home, the courthouse, the police.....

American kids caught in a cycle of despair, and they don't even know it. Some educators are trying to make a difference. I sent this link to the real Betsy Devos via her FB page.

Now I'm giving it to you guys, and I hope you'll read and watch it.

Because HAPPY EASTER

20 minute documentary of Owsley, Kentucky and its preschoolers and the village dynamics and this is REAL LIFE.

And here's the link to the text that explores scientific research indicating that adversity in childhood has a huge difference on a child's development -- but chronic stress and hunger prevent them from learning.

Articl e exploring how cognition is affected by childhood stress and adversity And while you're watching it, think about the children of that age in Syria.

Just think about it.

JESUS would want you to.

it's easter.
edit on 4/16/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
20 minute documentary of Owsley, Kentucky and its preschoolers and the village dynamics and this is REAL LIFE.

And here's the link to the text that explores scientific research indicating that adversity in childhood has a huge difference on a child's development -- but chronic stress and hunger prevent them from learning.

And you're blaming this on Trump how?

The rant you opened with, all that history stuff, not even sure what you're getting at. But if all that's his fault too perhaps you should blame him for the fall of the Mongolian Empire as well.

edit on 16-4-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I'm not blaming it on Trump, and that's a weird conclusion. I'm saying it is reality.

It Is Reality.
And Betsy DeVos needs to watch the video. I posted it to her Facebook page. Just want ATS to be aware of it.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Read the article, watch the documentary. It's really so far out of the realm of Trump's awareness that he doesn't even matter. It is his appointee, BETSY DEVOS, that is being scrutinized.

Trump did nominate her.

She did get confirmed.

Now she needs to know this.

/shrug

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

It Is Reality

No, that's your opinion. And I think partisanship comes in to play. Every president is the worst ever to the opposition.

Personally I feel it's more of the same. He hasn't shown me how he's for the common folk, more establishment agenda pushing IMO.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

No. It is really happening in Kentucky. There are children who are not getting food or parental support. The teachers and churches are pitching in so that they have enough to eat to actually learn.

Read the article. Watch the video.

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   

I'm not blaming it on Trump, and that's a weird conclusion.

When you turn an intro to an apparently apolitical social study into a power rant about how absurd Trump is, what other conclusion to all that jibberish could be found?

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   
just gonna leave it here then

You all sort it out.
This is reality. Please address it and sort it out.

You want the "liberals" and "SJWs" to shut the hell up. Fine. Done...

Now - YOU get to own and explain the reality of now.

Your favorite reality-tv show! Trump is President.

I swear, I'm just going to leave my contributions/links here. Whatever yall decide to do, just now I have it on record of my opinion based on facts that are not debatable because they really are facts.

Because facts

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   

These are outside sources, based on real journalism and factual filming of real people, that are recording and reporting real-time facts.
Facts. Like, facts you can't refute. Like gravity. And the Earth's rotation.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
You all please show me where I said anything about Trump's appointments that are not true. Otherwise, desist.

He is the individual who appointed this woman, and he is the one powerful person that is listening to these Dominionists....meanwhile, the kids in Coal Country are malnourished, poorly nurtured, etc.

Is it Trump's fault? Nope. It is REALITY.

What will Trump do about it?

Because, it's reality.

This is reality.

He is supported and listening to people who want to eliminate food stamps, and welfare. He is being influenced by people who want the entire government to be shut down, and to install "Religion" as an authority.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   

just gonna leave it here then

You all sort it out.
This is reality. Please address it and sort it out.

You want the "liberals" and "SJWs" to shut the hell up. Fine. Done...

HUH?!?

Given modern liberal insanity, how could I ever want them to shut up? Observing, responding to it all... as a social / psychological sciences minded type, responding to modern liberal insanity is quite addictive. It's like millions of people are all contestants now in the Great Liberal Virtue Signalling reality TV show, which this year has been a Trump bashing marathon where not even the poor people from Kentucky are spared from being plot devices in Trump bashing.

PARTAY ON!

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   

You all please show me where I said anything at all about Trump. Otherwise, desist.

I have not said one word about Trump.

This article from The Atlantic is a MUST READ -- especially because it's Easter, and I know lots of you have that whole Easter thing going on in your consciousness today, like remembering 9/11. Anyway ---

this pseudo-administration which is settling in to its new role as reality tv's worst offering in the history of mankind (this will stand alongside the epic, even the "Western Civ" giant stories, folks.....Caesar Donald! But of course, Western Civ is no longer a requisite for college. Trojan War. Fall of the Soviet Union. The Berlin Wall. WW1. WW2.) And now we have 'Trump' - a man who agrees with whomever last spoke to him, in so-called "charge."

But I digress.

That's how you frame a story about social blight in kentucky, and as if this entire effort wasn't pure troll baitery!

What's pure gold though is how you're acting like that wasn't your intention.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

What's your point ?

Sounds like a wild anti-Trump/anti-Devos rant with anti-Christian slants thrown in for good measure.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   
how is this an education issue? if the parents are druggies and not taking care of their children that`s a law enforcement issue and a social services issue, why try to make it a federal government education issue?

there are a lot of educated people who are unemployed, a lot of educated people addicted to drugs, an education doesn`t guarantee you anything anymore.
edit on 16-4-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Have at it you guys. The preschoolers in Kentucky? Who gives a crap .just like the babies in Syria.....

What?!!! Who cares? So what????

EFF THEM WHO CARES!??????

Just milking the system, aren't they?

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

If you care so much about them then why did you poison the discussion well here with all that wacky Trump bash virtue signalling.

The real kicker is, if anyone is to blame wouldn't it be Obama??

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   

why isn`t the state of Kentucky dealing with it? why does everything have to be a federal government issue to deal with?

along with state rights comes state responsibilities to deal with the problems within their state borders.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   

a reply to: CriticalStinker

No. It is really happening in Kentucky. There are children who are not getting food or parental support. The teachers and churches are pitching in so that they have enough to eat to actually learn.

Read the article. Watch the video.

Do you live in these areas and in Kentucky?

I do and have a different opinion.

Trump has nothing to do with this, it's been going on a long time.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

What's your point ?

Sounds like a wild anti-Trump/anti-Devos rant with anti-Christian slants thrown in for good measure.

Because it's Easter.

How did you miss that?

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

I guess she's mad at 9/11 Truthers, because it's Easter, as well.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join