It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*LIVE Discussion During State of the Union Address

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Does anyone here actually believe a 10 year old boy spontaneously came up to Harry Reid in a diner carrying a skateboard and said that he wanted to grow up to be just like him? I surely don't.

I was thinking that as well, because:
Harry Reid re-used 2 minutes of dialog from his old campaign commercials, as the beginning of his Dem response..I know this because I heard those ads, over and over again , for most of last year.

Quite a strong sense of Deja-vu watching him! It was almost word for word.

There was a slight difference, he did NOT mention the fact that his nickname was "PINKY" when growing up .

I think the Kid on the Skateboard story, was swapped-in, in place of the story of his nickname..PINKY....LOL...

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 05:30 AM
link   
cant wait to watch fox news say everything bush ment to say when i watch it tomorrow

oh god it was soo funny today.. Bill Orielly said that the pope should have a "War on terrorism" strat if hes not going to bless the one George "I wonder what the dubya stands for" bush offered....bahahahah..The Vatican (House of Strats!)

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Re Nancy Pelosi:

from CyberKat
Why listen? She just parots Bush?!

She should become a Republican then. She is the House Democratic Leader.

As for Social Security, it seems to me that the Democrats do not trust their own children to manage their own money. Then again, who should know a kid best but a parent, eh?

The Kodak moment of the speech was the mother of the fallen Texas Marine embracing the Iraqi woman who had voted in Sunday's election.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
As for Social Security, it seems to me that the Democrats do not trust their own children to manage their own money. Then again, who should know a kid best but a parent, eh?

The Kodak moment of the speech was the mother of the fallen Texas Marine embracing the Iraqi woman who had voted in Sunday's election.

It's a question of removing thesaftey net....privatization is hinged upon more than one very false premise:

1: That legal entities know as corporations are altruistic, as opposed to the reality of Darwinism they survive upon.

2: A "locked in return on Investment" - since we've heard no such gurantee, because there can't be one, it's shoot down worthy on that facet alone.

Becky - I'm guessing you'll have kids who are mini Gordon Gekkos, then?

As for that "Kodak Moment" - please , please , please tell me you realize that that was stage managed!?!?!

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I can only hope and pray that care is taken to protect those 50 and older, maybe even 45 and older. It is really too late for most of us to save alternately. You really need to be saving for nearly 20 years for the payout to be worthwhile.
Changing my social security age to 70 will bankrupt my savings. Altering my proposed benefits will seriously cut into my standard of living.

While I agree, in theory, that SS could be made better, I have little faith in the politicians to do this for us.
I see it seems to be working in Galveston. *skeptical look*
I still have many doubts.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time
It's a question of removing thesaftey net....privatization is hinged upon more than one very false premise:

1: That legal entities know as corporations are altruistic, as opposed to the reality of Darwinism they survive upon.

And survival of the fittest in the business world, as elsewhere, requires that you deliver the best product at the best price.

2: A "locked in return on Investment" - since we've heard no such gurantee, because there can't be one, it's shoot down worthy on that facet alone.

You want a locked in return on investment? Buy Savings Bonds. Or better yet, buy a box of Cracker Jax because then you're guaranteed to get a prize.

You can't tell me that you are so naive that you want a broker to guarantee a locked in return? There are plenty of them out there who will guarantee it..they'd be more than happy to take your money.

Regardless. A locked in rate of return is merely a canard raised by you since nobody has guaranteed any such thing.

As for that "Kodak Moment" - please , please , please tell me you realize that that was stage managed!?!?!

You disrespect the mother of that fallen soldier, BT.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
While I agree, in theory, that SS could be made better, I have little faith in the politicians to do this for us.

I agree 100%. That is exactly why taking it out of their control and putting it under your control is a good idea.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
my 2 cents.....

the best delivery of a speech since ronnie, and yes, that includes all of bubbas

the content.....to me, its obvious bush is set on being a historical president, and his legacy will be bringing democracy to the middle east, and reforming SS (feel free to flame)

the reaction....anti-bush camp will attack "the hug" and the SS reform, because Bush is on his way to making democrats obsolete.....

I was very impressed, I don't think bush is a reptilian, the anti-christ, an NWO stooge, satan, a nazi, just a god-fearing texas oil man who was a sitting president on 9/11 and is determined to make sure that doesn't happen again.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   

You disrespect the mother of that fallen soldier, BT.

No, Team Bush did by offering her son up for corparate imperialism.

As for SS, all the premises that he's offered for it's "rescue", most importantly, have been FALSE.

Let's start there, k?

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   

I agree 100%. That is exactly why taking it out of their control and putting it under your control is a good idea.

Problem is, you can't just pull the rug out from all those who are counting on Social Security. It's all well and good to start your own alternative plan, but you need quite a few years for that to pay off.
I'd say anyone who is now 45-50 can no longer invest enough. Many of us don't make enough to invst and make a difference.

Once again, can you just see the ramifications of giving the people responsibility for their own money? People who can't even take responsibility for making sure their dogs don't crap on their neighbors lawn? How many will screw it up and then come running to the government for a handout in their old age?
Many of us are smart enough to invest.
Many more of us probably don't know wht a mutual fund is.

You have to ask yourself: who's gonna make the most on this idea????? Don't flatter yourself that it is gonna be the citizen

I'm all for getting the government out of our lives. But I have yet to see a plan that will work. I remember that senior drug plan that came out last year. Only ones making out on that plan is the drug companies, as far as I can see. Why do you think SS reform will be any different?
Warnng: between IRS reform and SS reform US citizens in danger of being robbed.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
BT

You don't believe that the number of people paying in is on the decrease? You have to start with that premise, because otherwise, if it ain't fixed...

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
Problem is, you can't just pull the rug out from all those who are counting on Social Security. It's all well and good to start your own alternative plan, but you need quite a few years for that to pay off.
I'd say anyone who is now 45-50 can no longer invest enough. Many of us don't make enough to invst and make a difference.

It is't designed to make a fast buck. Like a 401K, it's a long range investment option.

I don't know what they will do with the 40-50 year olds.

Once again, can you just see the ramifications of giving the people responsibility for their own money? People who can't even take responsibility for making sure their dogs don't crap on their neighbors lawn? How many will screw it up and then come running to the government for a handout in their old age?
Many of us are smart enough to invest.
Many more of us probably don't know wht a mutual fund is.

My understanding is that there will be a choice of about 5 plans to invest in, from lowest risk, lowest gain to highest risk, highest gain. And don't forget, participation in these investment plans in voluntary. Also, you don't get to invest all your money, only a portion of it.

One other bright spot is being able to leave the profits to your heirs,if you want to. Today, if your kids are over 18, you're divorced, and you die the day before you're eligible to retire and start collecting, all that money is gone.

The system is on the way towards insolvency, I firmly believe that. If this plan is shot down, you're looking at many other ways to keep it solvent, from higher contribution on your part, to older retirement ages, etc.

It doesn't matter to me anyway. My retirement plan is that I'll have to work until I die.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   

It doesn't matter to me anyway. My retirement plan is that I'll have to work until I die.

We must have the same plan provider.

Even though I know that at 41, I will probably end up being in the generation that gets screwed by whatever solution is eventually arrived at, I still think something needs to be done to fix SS. It's a pyramid scheme that is going to bottom out with your kids. They are on the bottom layer.

Frankly, I don't (and probably won't) have kids, so I don't have to care about your kids, but for some reason I care enough not to wish the current future of social security on them.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I don't know about any of you 40 and over, but when I was 20, retirement was the farthest thing on MY mind. The place where I worked had an additional pension plan, which I in no way wanted to put money into. Too bad I didn't put as much as I could into that plan from day one.

Are 20 yr olds any more in tune to their "golden years", and saving for it????? Or are they as we were, thinking we'd live forever?????

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   
"Listen - Bush might make a “Bushism” every now & then & we all have a Good Laugh - he might Mis-Pronounce the word Nuclear - But he is still the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA - try showing a little Respect! "

Not a citizen of the United States, but i thought i would make a comment anyways. How can you justify showing respect to a man who has on many occasions lied to the citizens of his country? People who respect derserve respect. I dont really think Bush gives a damn about what anyone thinks.

Tahlen

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tahlen
People who respect derserve respect.

Good Job! Correctly put.

Now he has gone beyond little lies and deceptions, he is now making blatant lies. He said Social Security was in crisis mode, entirely UNTRUE! You are correct, President Bush doesn't deserve respect until he shows respect. It is not men's titles that earn them respect, but their respect for titles.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I missed the whole speech, school....., but you guys did a good job getting key points up on this thread

Tahlen

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Listen - Once again - I am Not a Republican - I do Not live in a Red State - I didn't even vote for Bush (in 2000 or 2004) - I voted for Kerry & Nader in Protest! I thought the First Four Years of the Bush Presidency was a CATASTROPHY for my Country! Does that change the fact that he got more Votes than Kerry & Won the Election - NO! He IS the President! I listened to his Speech. Yes lots of Idealistic Fluff! Yes very Partisan Republican Party Line - but some of the stuff that he said made a LOT of Sense! Is America the Source of the Worlds Problems - somehow I don't think so! I think that it’s funny when DICTATORS like Fidel Castro & his ilk Criticize Bush! Hypocrites!

[edit on 3-2-2005 by Seraphim_Serpente]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 09:34 PM
link   
This was the best Bush speech ever.

If I were a democrat, I would be scared, very scared! I would be so scared that I would say that "the hug" was staged. After all democrats know all about "staging events" ie. the mysterious Normandy stones, and the Ron Brown Memorial Laugh/Cry moment.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Listen - Once again - I am Not a Republican - I do Not live in a Red State - I didn't even vote for Bush (in 2000 or 2004) - I voted for Kerry & Nader in Protest! I thought the First Four Years of the Bush Presidency was a CATASTROPHY for my Country! Does that change the fact that he got more Votes than Kerry & Won the Election - NO! He IS the President! I listened to his Speech. Yes lots of Idealistic Fluff! Yes very Partisan Republican Party Line - but some of the stuff that he said made a LOT of Sense! Is America the Source of the Worlds Problems - somehow I don't think so! I think that it’s funny when DICTATORS like Fidel Castro & his ilk Criticize Bush! Hypocrites!

I was referring to the word "respect". i think alot of people in the world would use that word loosely, when referring to this president. You thought the first four years of his presidency were a catastrophy? do you respect him more now then you did after his first four years?

Tahlen

[edit on 3-2-2005 by Tahlen]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
George Bush never lied to anyone and he deserves far more respect than his predecessor. He has taken a firm stand on terrorism and has brought honor and dignity back to the White House.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join