It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*LIVE Discussion During State of the Union Address

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Yep- booing...its what he doesnt say that you got to worry about..."Give us your children so we can take on the world".....you wont hear that.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Division Bell
BOOOING ??? LOL!!! Did yall here that?

It was me, warming up.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
I believe the idea is to privatize it because SS is so messed up. Private companies tend to be much more effecient then federal ones.

SS is messed up, maybe. Or, maybe that is what the government is telling us. We seem to be kept in the dark.
But, what I do know is that playing the stock market can be financially dangerous. Mutual funds are more diversified, but still based on the market. After having seen my private fund get cut in half after the tech bublle burst in 2000, I llok forward to my social security check when I am old enough.

In your private fudning scenario, what will happen to those who made poor choices for their investments or fell prey to unscrupulous brokers? Wait, wasn't those some of the reasons we came up with SS? To protcet people from folly?
Make no mistake, SS has money and the government, both parties, would like to sink their teeth in OUR money.

[edit on 2-2-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

link   
One second.............ahhh, just puked.

link   
SS and the democratic party - read my sig - vote buying is not in my constitution, is it in yours?

link   
Hell, I'm 41, will probably get screwed over the most by whatever is done to fix SS, but I still think it needs to be reformed. I think it's been a good speech so far except for the rude booers...

link   
Maybe I am just biased, but his SS reform and leadership sound pretty good. He seems honest in his effort to listen Democrats to find the best solution.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Isn't the SS privitazation plan only supposed to be dealing with a small percentage of the withholding amounts, like 2-3 percent?

Allawi's in the house...nice touch

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Nest egg? He doesn't understand money because he has always been given money. Can we expect a guy who has lived off daddy 'til he was 40 to understand economics?

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Passing on to heirs is one very big idea in favor of reform, many die before they get a benefit with no help to children.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I can't see the webfeed very well..Are there purple fingers in the audience?

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Hoping he omits Iran and North Korea from his speech and omits it from his agenda.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Considering alternatives to a busted system is called smart.

Standing by a busted system simply because you can't stand the man who proposes looking into it is called stupid.

Maybe you don't like Bush's plan, that's fine. But anyone who's ever worked one damn day in his/her life and has a slight sense of fiscal planning knows that the current system is not going to do much for much longer.

The proper thing to do is evaluate what can be done. Not hoot like an idiot.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Contatutional Amendment??!!
badd jazz I smell arnold in 2008

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
It's so nice to listen to our president tell lies and give empty promises to keeps his followers all high up in expectations.

Way to go Mr. President, another 4 years of the same nothing that you have given so far to US the american citizen.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
I can't see the webfeed very well..Are there purple fingers in the audience?

Yes, they held it up similar to something in history that didn't have purple on their hands.

link   
Wow, you know, I bet it get pretty fatiguing for all the old polititians having to stand up and sit down so much. Might be the best workout some of them get.

link   

Originally posted by The Division Bell
Nest egg? He doesn't understand money because he has always been given money. Can we expect a guy who has lived off daddy 'til he was 40 to understand economics?

Harvard buisness mean anything?

I know, I know - it's no Whartons - but it's half decent

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Djarums,

Well said!
SS has needed reform for along time..Now that GWB brings it up,
it becomes a bad idea?!

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Can we expect a guy who has lived off daddy 'til he was 40 to understand economics?

Sorry, your statement doesn't only apply to Bush. You should clarify and include about 90% of DC politicos on both sides of the aisle in your statement about people living priveleged lives.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join