It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

truth about being Anti american !!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
KJ,

Your last post is a prime example of the breakdown in the labelling system as it applies to US politics nowadays.

Cheers

BHR

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I'm a conservative, and I've never called anyone anti-American for diagreeing with Bush. The people who are anti American are the ones that say things like "The dumbest Canadian is smarter than the smartest American", or "The dumbest brit here is smarter than the smartest American", or "The dumbests Frenchman here is smarter than the smartest American". All of these were said by Michael Moore. I find people who disagree with every single thing we've done, call us stupid and lazy, etc. People who are pro-American care about what happens to our country and people, they don't just want to win the political "game" or make the other side look stupid. They're willing to listen, and maybe compromise to make our country a better place.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Herman,

Originally posted by Herman
I'm a conservative, and I've never called anyone anti-American for diagreeing with Bush.

You are one of the few in that category.

Originally posted by HermanPeople who are pro-American care about what happens to our country and people, they don't just want to win the political "game" or make the other side look stupid. They're willing to listen, and maybe compromise to make our country a better place.

As someone who has several close friends who are citizens of the US, I care deeply about what happens to them.

I am not anti-Bush on principle. I think the man is not that smart but I would never hate someone for that. I am against his principles and policies. I would be against them if they came from Kerry, Clinton, Gore, Limbaugh, Gingrich or anyone else for that matter.

Cheers

BHR

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by BillHicksRules

You have no idea. Herman really is one of the few. Herm and I have had some really good discussions on the merits of both sides and he ALWAYS makes a good case for his opinion. Herman and I are on opposite ends of the political spectrum, but I completly respect him because he doesnt retaliate with ignorant beratement.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Herman - thank you for bringing the discussion back to what it should really be about - anti-Americanism.

I think it's normal to dislike one or some elements that make up another nation. It's simply a clash of values and differences in upbringing. What's NOT normal is, like Herman said, to downright condemn every single member of another nation for the policies of its government or the beliefs of a few of them.

An example of this nuance - as a Canadian, I really dislike the Bible-Belt hypocrisy, or the neo-con "America can't go wrong" mentality. However, I do believe that Americans are generally likeable, smart people who are trying to get the best out of life, like anyone else on this planet.

Unfortunately, anti-Americanism in a lot of cases goes hand-in-hand with the anti-worldism of some American pundits who get paid amazing salaries to fan the flames and keep the hate smoldering. In this context, although some anti-Americanism was born out of Bush's decision to go to war with Iraq, more was created by the American backlash against, namely, France (when Chirac decided to oppose the Iraq war), Spain (when it decided to pull out of Iraq) and Canada (when it decided not to join the space missile defense system).

It seems to me that comments by pundits like Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh or Tucker Carlson against other nations ("Canada has the economy of Honduras, except it's less interesting") are designed to create more anti-Americanism which allows them to denounce these nations even more ("See? See how they hate us?"). In the end, that cycle keeps them earning money and garnering ratings for Fox or CNN.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Otts,

Originally posted by Otts
It seems to me that comments by pundits like Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh or Tucker Carlson against other nations ("Canada has the economy of Honduras, except it's less interesting") are designed to create more anti-Americanism which allows them to denounce these nations even more ("See? See how they hate us?"). In the end, that cycle keeps them earning money and garnering ratings for Fox or CNN.

You make a very pertinent point here.

The propaganda model is somewhat similar to that laid out by Orwell in 1984.

The more time that passes the more the world looks like that invisaged in 1984.

Cheers

BHR

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger

Originally posted by BillHicksRules

You have no idea. Herman really is one of the few. Herm and I have had some really good discussions on the merits of both sides and he ALWAYS makes a good case for his opinion. Herman and I are on opposite ends of the political spectrum, but I completly respect him because he doesnt retaliate with ignorant beratement.

Thanks kid
. And ditto. I respect you a lot too and everything, even though we do disagree on like almost everything haha. Sorry I couldn't make this longer, I'm actually at a friends house in Brazil right now haha. I'll be back in like 12 days though.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Sorry I couldn't make this longer, I'm actually at a friends house in Brazil right now haha. I'll be back in like 12 days though.

Gee, rub it in a bit why dont ya

Any fried Turkey legs in Brazil?

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger

Sorry I couldn't make this longer, I'm actually at a friends house in Brazil right now haha. I'll be back in like 12 days though.

Gee, rub it in a bit why dont ya

Any fried Turkey legs in Brazil?

Man, I wish. But really, the food's great. The funny thing is, I just ate at like an American themed type of restaraunt today. Just hamburgers and coke. Well I'm off to go watch a movie in his own personal movie theatre room, I'll catch ya guys later.

(he really does have one)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join