It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Found this video saying Easter is Pagan, is this really true?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I recently found this video on Youtube, and he goes over all these supposedly facts, that Easter and its symbols are Pagan? Is he correct or full or crap?
Seems kinda sketchy.

Here is the link video, let me know your thoughts?
www.youtube.com...

Thanks for your ideas!

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: BStoltman

The way eastern is celebrated today, is indeed coming from paganism. Contrary to what some believe on this forum, the majority is aware of this. Most do it for the kids, though, because they are happy to find the easter nests with the goodies in it.

In reality, the real reason why eastern is celebrated in christianiy is the resurrection of christ.. Although the date was ruled to be the first sunday after the first full moon in spring in the years 300-400 by the council of Nicää.
edit on 16-4-2017 by verschickter because: typo

edit on 16-4-2017 by verschickter because: another typo

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Yes and no. Easter is the celebration of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. However, the symbolism behind it IE the Easter Bunny, and all that jazz was all inspired by paganism. This is pretty much the same with all western holidays. Much like today's culture, it was pretty much about trying not to offend certain people by not including them since both beliefs coincided around the same time of the months and years etc.....supposedly. Always. Oddly enough
edit on 16-4-2017 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:06 AM
link   

After screening that vid for a few sentences all I wanted to know was, "Who knocked that dude's tooth down his throat?"

Lots of the 'symbology' found in the Christian 'religion' is Paganistic. Always good to see someone point that out on the boards.

+9 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

Just because christians have made it the resurrection of christ doesn't mean it actually was. christians have hijacked pagan festivals for good reasons, and that is to stop pagans from celebrating them for their original reasons.
How about christmas? Strange coincidence that good old jesus was born very close to the original winter solstice? Nope, very calculated.
Easter? Yup, it certainly was a pagan festival probably having something to do with spring. Can't have that, stick a bit of jesus mythology in there and all the pagans will suddenly have to celebrate christian things instead.

That's how religion rolls, tricking, lying, deceiving, to get people to follow.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Even a child has a hard time hearing about and actually believing Easter being a celebration of a risen Christ and somehow tying a bunny dropping off eggs full of candy or whatever. Ishtar, Tammuz, eggs,... even the pork!

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Its not a stretch to assume this Easter Bunny in question doesn't represent your average garden-variety woodland creature...

link   
Hmmm ... Easter is celebrated in springtime just about the time all the trees have put back on leaves, plants are growing and flowering, etc.

What does that have to do with "life returning from death" I wonder?

It's a mystery.

link   
I was definately on the fence on his information, interesting to find he is technically correct. Very interesting. I have kinda of enjoyed his videos, although some of his stuff is freaking weird.

After screening that vid for a few sentences all I wanted to know was, "Who knocked that dude's tooth down his throat?"

Lol, always been curious about that too!

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Christ was crucified on the date of the Passover
Hence why christians celebrate christs death and resurrection when they do
Catholicism introduced many pagan practices to encourage pagans to become Catholics.

Plenty of other videos explain it very well

Bunnys, chocolate, rabbits, eggs, pagan fertility
I thought it was common knowledge

Kinda like Christmas, pagan rip off, all saints day, the list just goes on

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Spring is all about fertility. Eggs and bunnies are both representative of fertility (think about it)

It goes deeper of course, but that's the gist of it.

When I was a child in sunday school, my teacher tried to tell us that the easter egg was symbolic of the boulder in front of the j-mans tomb, she also said dino bones were to test our faith...
edit on 16-4-2017 by wheresthebody because: spelling

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Yes and no, Christians did not steal pagan symbology so much as shared the same symbology for the rebirth of the flora and fauna in spring as the rebirth of Jesus on Easter.

The Easter Egg is often attributed to pagan origins, but there is more to the story:

According to tradition, Saint Mary Magdalene, who had patrician rank, gained an audience in Rome with the emperor after the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Christ. She denounced Pilate for his handling of Jesus' trial and then began to talk with Caesar about Jesus' resurrection. She picked up a hen's egg from the dinner table to illustrate her point about resurrection. Caesar was unmoved and replied that there was as much chance of a human being returning to life as there was for the egg to turn red. Immediately, the egg miraculously turned red in her hand! It is because of this tradition that Orthodox Christians exchange red eggs at Easter.

The Story of the First Easter Egg

In the west, we tend to go with pastel colors as opposed to the red, which may be an influence from pagan faiths, or just the influence of spring flowers, but the association of the egg with the resurrection has definite Christian roots.

Another is the Easter Bunny:

The ancient Greeks saw rabbits as a sign of spring, and even believed they could reproduce asexually. Some documentation from medieval times shows the rabbit being associated with the Virgin Mary and her pregnancy even though she “did not know man.”

In the middle ages, rabbits began appearing in illuminated manuscripts and paintings where the Virgin Mary was depicted, as an allegorical illustration of her virginity.

Don’t ditch the Easter Bunny!

Here again, the rituals and celebrations have expanded -- perhaps with pagan influences -- but there is a definite Christian basis.

Virtually all cultures had spring rites and celebrations for the rebirth of the earth, and the same symbology was easily applied to the rebirth of Jesus. It's not "stealing" or any kind of cultural appropriation. It's just what it is -- rebirth in all its glory!

edit on 16-4-2017 by Boadicea because: spelling

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Every good gardener knows that Good Friday, the Friday just before Easter is the time to plant.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea
I was told the red egg represents the blood of jesus christ, as a symbol of fertility and resurrection. That makes more sense than some miracle egg turning red and doesn´t involve any miracles / is more believeable.
edit on 16-4-2017 by verschickter because: whats up with the typos today...

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   
pretty much all christian holidays are pagan holidays that the Christians took over.

some interesting stuff i have read about this is that the Christians were trying to convert the pagans over to Christianity so they basically took over their holidays to try and do so.

even Christmas was a pagan holiday they took over and December 25th may not actually the day jesus was born.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:45 AM
link   
even if it is it only changes the things in a nice way. you would celebrate it with more people.

but thats not the anwer you want..hmm. then i can say yes, it is.
edit on 16-4-2017 by xbeta because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
I was told the red egg represents the blood of jesus christ, as a symbol of fertility and resurrection. That makes more sense than some miracle egg turning red and doesn´t involve any miracles / is more believeable.

Yes, I've heard that as well, but usually in terms of the more recent theories that Jesus was married -- as in Mary Magdalene was the vessel that carried the blood of Christ -- hence her red egg. But I obviously cannot speak to the ultimate truth of either... I was just passing on the historical tradition and belief within Christianity.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   
no offense taken, I also only passed what was handed down to me / us in this region of the world I´m living in.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Easter is based on the pagan esbat Ostara the celebration of the vernal or spring exuinox when the hours of daylight and dark are equal.
The name even sounds the same.
Ostara just passed for this year.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

That makes more sense than some miracle egg turning red and doesn´t involve any miracles / is more believeable.

LOL and your earlier sentence is more believable?

resurrection

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join