It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They're Stealing Your Attention

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

You can block most of the adds by a remote controller and addblock but still after 12 hours of browsing the subconscious buffer is full of # background data. 15 minutes of high volume adds in a cinema when there's nowhere to hide can make me angry for the rest of the evening. And the social engineering telling me not to smoke - stuff like that.

You are onto something but it's not about the adds. When you feel your energy is being sucked it could be someone in your family, a neighbour, friend you smoke with...Energy vampires are all around you. Hollywood is a great sucker. MSM brainwashing is stealing more than some harmless add. THEY are masters in stealing attention, they plant a seed of fear, hate or some other set of emotions and then steal and USE the collective consciousness, collective energy in a wrong, evil way. With lies. Can you imagine?
The spiritual world and vital world and astral world... it's real spiritual energy-game that affects not only our mood but the whole life and soul. And this whole world.

I feel like we have just been robbed of the sacred energy of Easter by the attacks of islamists and NK/WWIII rodeo. Intentionally.
At some point you just need to live and let die nad fk them all for a while. I'm not interrested in being sucked into politics and war mood. The spring is mine, the summer will be mine. My plan is being positive, happy and spiritual no matter what kind of sick show is prepared. Let someone else deal with #. Like someone who is paid for it. The time to go off-line for 99% of the time is near.

edit on 16/4/2017 by PapagiorgioCZ because: grammar

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I escaped from Prague to country. That add b# ruined face of this otherwise beautiful city.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Thank god I live more rural and even the cities here do not have videoscreens throwing pictures and sound at me...

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

i'd say that both of you get my drift. Mostly because my drift is fairly nebulous.

If my brain is going to be filled with memories of images i have no legal right to reproduce, then at the very least I should consent.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   

No they aren't.

When it comes to propaganda like news and banal television programming I know how to tell the truth...

...everything they say is a lie.

When it comes to ads, I know which product is best...

I'm poor so it doesn't matter, I can't afford it anyway.

Nyah, Nyah.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: PapagiorgioCZ

Use of the internet is free (although you may pay for access, once you have that access the use is free). Unless you choose to pay.

We see this crop up here on ATS from time to time: members complain about ads, ownership offers an option for folks who don't want ads to buy out the ad space instead via a monthly fee (usually met with much teeth gnashing at the notion of having a 2 tiered service). But when you join ATS you agree to the advertising. There is consent. Similar can be said in most of the online world....implicit in the use of a free site is a consent to recieve advertising (regardless of peoples desire to violate the good faith agreement with ad blockers).

But paying $2.50/gallon, why on earth am I bombarded with a loud, obnoxious ad for Additech fuel cleaner? Is there an implicit consent granted, or is the service provider now the one violating a good faith agreement?

What about someone paying $500 for a flight held captive at 30k feet while ads blare at them from the screen in the back of the seat in front of them? The flight is not a free service, and i doubt there are notations relating to discounts provided for you recieving ads during the flight.

On the internet you can opt out of the obnoxious ads by violating the good faith....and websites can refuse admittance if this happens (until you disable ad blockers). In real life, my only recourse against a violation of good faith is a set of earbuds, isolating me in a cocoon of my own noise. I have to withdraw from the world around me to avoid the onslaught (i wear bluetooth earbuds almost all the time in a city so I don't have to listten to the barkers and loud sales attempts)

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

No they aren't.

When it comes to propaganda like news and banal television programming I know how to tell the truth...

Nyah, Nyah.

You may not be able to afford it......so why suffer the ad?
edit on 4/16/2017 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: intrptr

No they aren't.

Nyah, Nyah.

You may not be able to afford it......so why suffer the ad?

I don't.

Like the MSM, just glitter around the periphery of my attention.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   
BANKSY ON ADVERTISING

People are taking the piss out of you everyday. They butt into your life, take a cheap shot at you and then disappear. They leer at you from tall buildings and make you feel small. They make flippant comments from buses that imply you’re not sexy enough and that all the fun is happening somewhere else. They are on TV making your girlfriend feel inadequate. They have access to the most sophisticated technology the world has ever seen and they bully you with it. They are The Advertisers and they are laughing at you.

You, however, are forbidden to touch them. Trademarks, intellectual property rights and copyright law mean advertisers can say what they like wherever they like with total impunity.

# that. Any advert in a public space that gives you no choice whether you see it or not is yours. It’s yours to take, re-arrange and re-use. You can do whatever you like with it. Asking for permission is like asking to keep a rock someone just threw at your head.

You owe the companies nothing. Less than nothing, you especially don’t owe them any courtesy. They owe you. They have re-arranged the world to put themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission, don’t even start asking for theirs.

– Banksy

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

From the article in my OP:

What makes it “theft?” Advances in neuroscience over the last several decades make it clear that our brain’s resources are involuntarily triggered by sound and motion; hence the screens literally seize scarce mental resources. As neuroscientist Adam Gazzaley and psychologist Larry Rosen put it in their book, The Distracted Mind, humans have an “extreme sensitivity to goal interference from distractions by irrelevant information.” Meanwhile, in the law, theft or larceny is typically defined as the taking control of a resource “under such circumstances as to acquire the major portion of its economic value or benefit.” Given the established market value of time and attention, when taken without consent or compensation, it really is not much different from someone taking money out of your pocket. Hence, when the firms selling public-screen advertising to captive audiences brag of double-digit growth and billions in revenue, those are actually earnings derived by stealing from us.

There is no "periphery of your attention" in reality. Those input devices you call "senses" are turned on even if your full attention is not.

This is another problem that i don't really focus on in my OP....but its absolutely a part of the equation.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Michet

Banksy is an "it getter".

Not to mention his amazing artwork. The crappy art i do, a big corner of that world is inspired by Banksy.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   

There is no "periphery of your attention" in reality.

Sorry to hear about your ADD.

For me there is, just like when you are in an emergency and your attention goes tunnel vision? Like that.

I don't have to watch my feet as I walk or pay attention to steering or gas and brake while I drive because I am trained to it. Due to my awareness in the moment I don't have to accept ads or propaganda either. They do not get past my 'Censor'.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I could not be happier to hear about your physical oddity that sets you apart from every other human on the planet. You should certainly be a model for study, as your self reported cognitive capabilities obviously put you in a unique class of your own.

All other humans on this planet are subject (to varying degrees) to common physiological and psychological response, unless otherwise defective.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Those input devices you call "senses" are turned on even if your full attention is not.

Senses are just that, input. I decide whats what.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Ae least two others agreed with my perspective there so I'm not that 'unique'.

May I suggest less gaming?

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Very interesting post bigfatfurrytexan, i have always hated advertising, don't watch TV much any more...I'm afraid the corporations have us so much in their grips that we are doing their advertising for them 1,000s of posts weekly on You Tube of ordinary people displaying the products they have just bought, 1,000s of photos uploaded to twitter of stuff people have bought...is there no hope for humanity. A little bit different to what you originally posted, but related, maybe.

Game Store Haul!
edit on th4104201741967 by Simon1967 because: (no reason given)

edit on th5204201741967 by Simon1967 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Signs signs everywhere the signs, f-ing up the scenery and breaking my mind.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Simon1967

I vape, and spent some time in the beginning watcing vids to get a feel for what products were

Anymore i buy based on what i know of the technology, but did find some value in unboxing vids.

I also am a member of a vape group on FB based on a retail outlet (a fan page, well run, moderated similarly to ATS....right up my alley) where we help each other with stupid questions and the like. One of the things I like is the advertising the members do within the group for the company. A new product I may not see being mentions will potentially enrich my life. But in this case, im consenting to the ad, and Im being compensated for it. The ledger is balanced as far as both parties are concerned.

But the new trend on FB of big content providers having ads in their videos is pissing me off. When that happens, i stop watching and scroll right through. Im happy to follow your page. But im not going to let you monetize my 5 minutes of entertainment while I am trying to refocus for more work. That time is for me, and i won't give it up to someone else so they can make money. No matter how cute the puppies in the video are, or how crazy their antics may be.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: trollz

originally posted by: LookingForABetterLife

The amount of advertising esp. on TV is getting sickening. I have to turn off the TV half the time as I'm tired of seeing the same ads over and over.

Ads are literally the reason I refuse to watch tv. I don't understand how anyone can sit through a tv show when it pauses every 6 minutes for several minutes of advertisements.

Same here. Exactly. That is the single reason I gave up watching TV (with the exception of local news).

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   
A few years ago, I saw an English documentary about marketing and advertising and the impact this has on people. One of the people interviewed in the doc was a young advertising executive who found the entire 'game' very entertaining but maintained the underlying strategy of all marketing campaigns is propaganda. He recounted how he, fully educated and experienced in this area and therefore fully aware, was also subject to the very influences he fed to the general population and how this meant he too was affected by the advertisers each time he selected a tube of toothpaste or any other product.

The programme delved into how Edward Bernays, en.wikipedia.org... reputed godfather of public relations and propaganda was also the godfather of marketing as both employed the same mind control principles to persuade and influence.

Originally, marketing theory worked on the 4 p's, namely - product, price, promotion, and place then later, process, people and physical environment were added to create today's 7 p's of marketing in practice. en.wikipedia.org...

Today, we are all aware of such memes as 'brand awareness' and 'brand loyalty' without having any real awareness of how adherence to any 'brand' can influence our choices and decisions over other aspects of our lives. I for instance, absolutely hate Google. I used to love using youtube but now they are a Google product, they carry ads and the best vid player on the planet has become something of a slug so I now hate using youtube! (probably a silly example/analogy, I know!)

As with people, these large conglomerate interests, the bigger they get, the more money they are worth, the more egotistical they get, believing they are more important than the individual. Seeking to crush anything that gets in their way of being the biggest, most recognised, most monstrous. I think the film Wall-e may have got it completely right, of all the commodities in the picture, people are just the catalyst for shifting the figures on the balancing books, an ode to the god of profit.

Tex, with the illustration/artist being sued, you have perfectly summed this up. Perhaps the artist in question should do a Warhole and make the marketing bar-stewards pay up for his having included their brand in his work. Afterall, isn't all publicity good publicity?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join