It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They're Stealing Your Attention

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

If the painting says something relevant about Nike, it is protected by the 1st amendment.

Otherwise, advertisements should be edited out.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Sorry, I guess I missed that point. I think that would actually be reasonably easy fix. I'm no expert, but I know there's an exception carved out for buildings. Technically, they could be trade marked as works of art, but somewhere along the line they were denied that protection, and so anyone can paint a skyline, building, etc..

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   
That's the problem, though. For ten thousand years, artists painted what they saw. Now advertising is everywhere, it's what everyone sees all the time (at least in capitalist countries... I've heard it's not true everywhere). So what's an artist supposed to do? If you go to some far place where there is no advertising and paint that, on some gut level the painting looks too pristine and idealistic, or it looks primitive and out dated. It's not a real reflection of what people see. That's fine for some art, but it's extremely limiting for others. I can understand copyrighting to protect against exact duplication for a limited period of time, copyright law now doesn't encourage creativity or financially support artists (as it was originally intended), it suppresses creativity and funds corporate profits for shareholders.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: anotheramethyst

A couple of points I'd like to make relative to this. First, most artists are not intending to sell their works. If the work is not for sale, or other profit making venture, it is not a copyright violation. Second, the artist could simply take artistic license and create another ad in the place of the one that is included in their painting.

I think the real point of this OP, or at least the point I take from it is that we are constantly bombarded by advertising. I agree whole heartedly. The term "revenue stream" has become all to common place over the past decade. If this constant commercial blitzkrieg is really offending the majority of citizens as it is some on this string, then we should vote with our cash. Inform the company that offends you that you will no longer buy their product/service because of the ad placement. If enough of us do this, then perhaps it will stop.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   
wouldn't it be nice for capitalist laws be placed on the public while communist laws for corporations?

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson
a reply to: anotheramethyst

A couple of points I'd like to make relative to this. First, most artists are not intending to sell their works. If the work is not for sale, or other profit making venture, it is not a copyright violation. Second, the artist could simply take artistic license and create another ad in the place of the one that is included in their painting.

I think the real point of this OP, or at least the point I take from it is that we are constantly bombarded by advertising. I agree whole heartedly. The term "revenue stream" has become all to common place over the past decade. If this constant commercial blitzkrieg is really offending the majority of citizens as it is some on this string, then we should vote with our cash. Inform the company that offends you that you will no longer buy their product/service because of the ad placement. If enough of us do this, then perhaps it will stop.

i agree in many ways but that is getting harder and harder as small business is pushed out of the picture by big corporations. to really stick to those convicitions u quickly start realizing that there isnt really many stores, restaurants, etc that arent pushing something somewhere and its something that just keeps getting worse.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   
delete double post
edit on 15-4-2017 by TheScale because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I have driven across Texas a dozen times...

What "vistas" are these billboards ruining?

The billboards are the best part of driving across Texas...
edit on 15-4-2017 by madmac5150 because: My ducks are assholes

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: TheScale

Agreed, it's an issue. I also agree about the plight of small businesses, being a small business owner myself. The greed involved in today's American society is absurd. The issue then becomes, what is there to do?

Also, I think this onslaught may be the dying throes of the industry. Much like the newspaper industry, there simply needs to be an adjustment to the advertising business plan because, despite the onslaught, the ads are reaching fewer and fewer people in a substantive way.

Think of the great ads of the past. Some ads actually had influence on society apart from the product they were selling. When was the last time you saw a great ad?

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   
When i was kid i could only eat while watching ads. There are some other kids of my cousins exactly like this.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson

Agreed, it's an issue. I also agree about the plight of small businesses, being a small business owner myself. The greed involved in today's American society is absurd. The issue then becomes, what is there to do?

Also, I think this onslaught may be the dying throes of the industry. Much like the newspaper industry, there simply needs to be an adjustment to the advertising business plan because, despite the onslaught, the ads are reaching fewer and fewer people in a substantive way.

Think of the great ads of the past. Some ads actually had influence on society apart from the product they were selling. When was the last time you saw a great ad?

that is a great point. ill have to give that some thought cause i think your right. the saturation levels are so high that they are becoming ineffective. i kinda get a kick out of thinking about them shooting themselves in the foot

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 01:34 AM
link   

The overall structure is not shooting itself in the foot, what is funny is people thinking that is has.

Gaming the system , lying about TV ratings of shows, controlling all talkshows on how to talk about the positive or negative of anything, I see people more lost and confused than perhaps ever, while believing they can watch Netflix or PVR things and escape the overall balloon of nonsense,

All are desperate attempts, and working attempts to convert everyone to the same, HAIL YOUTUBE.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 02:38 AM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

I can trurn off corporate America. I don't think you can "unsubscribe" to the North Korean propaganda mechine if you are stuck in North Korea.

I do agree things like the rotating advertising signs court side at ball games should result in the automatic and wide spread boycott of companies that choose that form of advertising.

Which brings up another point....

How are copyrighted advertising signs legally broadcasted via sports broadcasting?
edit on 16-4-2017 by neutronflux because: Fixed legally

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 02:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150
I have driven across Texas a dozen times...

What "vistas" are these billboards ruining?

The billboards are the best part of driving across Texas...

I like having some indication on the distance between potentially acceptable restrooms.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 02:49 AM
link   

I immediately thought of the situation where Andy Warhol used the Campbell's soup can to score big bucks as "art". Also in the context you used Nike saw the symbolism as negative to it's brand.

Personally I loved the Burma Shave billboards, Wall Drug, South of the Border moved right past being advertising into having their own identity as cultural icons of millions of people. Landmarks.

I'd love to see the first case of someone winning in court for "Attention Theft". I agree we have visual rights to enjoy our environment in both everyday necessary tasks as well as driving the highways. However some of those annoying billboards are key in leading people to new places, so I'm torn.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 02:52 AM
link   

I would further assert that public advertising, in general, is an assault on my attention. On my mental faculties

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Never thought of this before, good article, good points, thanks for posting it.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 03:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Caver78

I immediately thought of the situation where Andy Warhol used the Campbell's soup can to score big bucks as "art". Also in the context you used Nike saw the symbolism as negative to it's brand.

Personally I loved the Burma Shave billboards, Wall Drug, South of the Border moved right past being advertising into having their own identity as cultural icons of millions of people. Landmarks.

I'd love to see the first case of someone winning in court for "Attention Theft". I agree we have visual rights to enjoy our environment in both everyday necessary tasks as well as driving the highways. However some of those annoying billboards are key in leading people to new places, so I'm torn.

"Perhaps '"the myriad of video advertisements imposed on me through outside distractive interference mechanisms caused me to suffer temporary attention deposit disorder."

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I remember when feminine hygiene products werent advertised on TV.. much less penis pills ,person lubes, adult stores, and every kind of drug you can imagine and beg your Dr for. The first time I saw a tampon commercial I was shocked. LOL! I was sitting there with my parents during a family get together and watching sports. Why feminine hygiene was mentioned during sports I have no idea. You know on Fight CLub where he splices the dick in the kids movie and the look on the peoples faces??? Thats kinda what that first viewing of a tampon commercial with the fam was like. LOL!

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 04:39 AM
link   
if you are absolutely sure you have your attention, then you can conclude it can be stolen by somebody else.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join