It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Root Canal or Extraction-- What To Do

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I had a tooth pulled after breaking the whole top off when I was about twenty four. I never missed it. It did not effect the alignment much in my mouth either. There are some problems with root canals causing health issues, technically the tooth dies.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I had a tooth pulled after breaking the whole top off when I was about twenty four. I never missed it. It did not effect the alignment much in my mouth either. There are some problems with root canals causing health issues, technically the tooth dies.

True. Slow rot, or no rot. Not a hard choice, unless you enjoy pain that has you begging, praying, for sleep.
Implants cost a little more but they do work well, if you can afford dental work.
(hint: Watch out for pigfaced doubledipping cops posing as farmers, or even worse:
pigfaced doubledipping meth head farmers posing as cops. You sound like a nice guy, so here's what I'll do: I'll pretend to be a cop and just steal your money. Denver is rife with them. Tick tock. So much for peace and love bull$hit.)

Apparently they have become quite advanced in technique.

Titanium of 96% is used which fuses well to bone. Missing bone can be replaced in a variety of ways.
It would seem to be the greatest challenge is making them appear as natural.

I have never seen a root canal last more than a few years. Don't let anyone fart around in your mouth
pasting things together. It is guaranteed future work for them.

According to one source I read, in print form, though the author eludes me at the moment,
if you have amalgams (read: Mercury) in your mouth,
you will likely have candida problems in your gut.

# 750
edit on 15-4-2017 by TheWhiteKnight because: Do you know who I'm with.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

I've read that story about the jaw deteriorating.

Not sure I buy it though.....I had a wisdom tooth pulled from my lower jaw about 30 years ago......jaw is still intact.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I would do whatever they recommended to keep my tooth. Whatever you decide to do, stay healthy and pain free.
That's the main thing.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

That's just it.
Ask three doctors the same question...you'll probably get three varied answers.

My old dentist backed me up......his wife even had the same thing happen...and a few years later still had not done an implant or anything.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I'd have it pulled if it's in the back. I have had root canals and crowns. I should be royalty by now. LOL
Clear up the abscess first and just have it pulled.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I vote for pull it. Too many possible issues if you don't, pretty much all of which still wind up with you losing the tooth anyway...

I waited too long to have my wisdom teeth pulled ( at 32 ), and am now glad I finally did so, to avoid issue down the road.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

i would have it pulled. no question.
i had a root canal done about 15 years ago. never again

1 tooth is not going to bother you being gone

i got 5 pulled the same day last year and im all good

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Don't implants cost and arm and a leg, though??

Yes they do. But if you have a molar extracted your jaw bone will deteriorate and you'll be in real trouble. This happened to my wife. Could'a fixed it for $3K wound up costing me $15K.

I have four gold crowns covering root canals. Best damned decision I've ever made about my health. Yes, the gold is a bit more expensive, but your dentist has to know what he's doing to work with gold. Mine proved his skill by replacing my existing fillings with gold.

He only made two mistakes. One was he didn't numb me up right. That hurt like a MFer. The other one I'll never figure. He missed one of the roots and that tooth took a longer period to treat as a result.

There are people in this thread who are way more knowledgeable than I am. Just sharing my first & second-hand experiences.

i have a perm gold crown right in the front
will last the rest of my life and it looks awesome

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:35 AM
link   

a reply to: Snarl

I've read that story about the jaw deteriorating.

Not sure I buy it though.....I had a wisdom tooth pulled from my lower jaw about 30 years ago......jaw is still intact.

I can only share what my experiences have been. The Army pulled all of my wisdom teeth pulled when I first joined and I haven't had a problem either.

My wife's tooth wasn't at the very back. She'd had it pulled before I even met her (meaning the jawbone deterioration was over a 30-40 year time span. Anyway, her dentist (not mine) had to strip her gum down to the bone and wrap some material around it to anchor the implant screw. I hate seeing my wife suffer ... and suffer she did.

The damn screw cost thousands of dollars all by itself. Since then, she's had at least one other implant. That one was relatively inexpensive compared to the first (you already saw the numbers). I'm happy to say her teefies look great and she's never had any problems with the work that was done.

We've lost our fair share of folks here at ATS. These other folks warning about heart issues being related to teeth ... I believe them. Please get the right answer for yourself through a dentist you trust. I'm sure you'll know what to do when you hear the right diagnosis. It's your life (or quality thereof) ... shop around as much as it takes.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I like the look of gold. Don't know if I'd want a gold crown right out front, but I'd have to try it on for size if it ever came down to it.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   

a reply to: zazzafrazz

Don't implants cost and arm and a leg, though??

I think like $1500 without insurance. Depending on where you live, how well you know the dentist etc.

Yank that thing out if you can't get a root canal. I had 4 molars pulled because I'm a freak and didn't have man teeth coming in behind them when I was younger (no wisdom teeth too, yay!). I don't even notice it. Teeth haven't shifted, it doesn't bug me when I eat, nobody can tell...

It's weird to me that the the former dentist didn't send over more info, perhaps you could request it. If he deemed a root canal unwise, the new dentist should be able to figure that out too.

I would just tell the new guy the same thing you said here, he can look into it further and give you a better idea, and then get a second opinion.

Good luck!

Feel better!

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
a reply to: TinySickTears

I like the look of gold. Don't know if I'd want a gold crown right out front, but I'd have to try it on for size if it ever came down to it.

i was nervous about it too.
mine in is between the hue of gold and rose gold. i didnt want so much flash
i want to get my k9's crowned too.

my front tooth was messed up. had a ridge on it and was discolored. felt like i had to hide it.
i dont feel that way now

i had a hard time finding a dentist to do it though. had to call around. all were a no up front except one dude.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
i had a hard time finding a dentist to do it though. had to call around.

Finding a dentist who can work in Gold takes real effort. Be glad you've got one.

If I _must_ get a tooth worked on, I'm flying back to Korea and having it done by the guy who worked on my teeth for 10 years. It's too damned expensive in the States ... and it's hard to 'trust' that someone really has the skills to do a good job.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Did we know more 100 years ago than we do now....be back to edit....

www.dentistryhealth.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Whoops (one star) ... probably not getting the attention it deserves.

It does make me wonder though. If antibiotics can't control the infection site, how do 'the residents' get out to cause trouble. Worth looking in to if you're opting into getting your tooth pulled.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I am still leaning toward the extraction, but would like to hear what some of you have done with regard to a back tooth going bad.

Have you considered a bridge? I have had one for 35 years and a fairly recent

cantilever bridge.

Could be a good option.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Does the bridge go into the gum...or is it just between two teeth???

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   

I'm not sure I would go for an implant with a back tooth like that. If they can crown the existing tooth after a root canal, I would go that route. I just know people who have had extractions, and later regretted it. (I've never had a root canal, so no personal testimony from me) but try to make a decision shortly before it should effect your overall health. They might even give you a regimen of antibiotics a week before you have the work done. If, like me, your immune system is not the best in the world, request it. Teeth like that can unleash a world of hurt if you don't have a strong immune system. Virginia Woolf used to call them "pneumonia germ teeth", for a reason!

Let us know what you decide, oh and ask how an extraction will change your facial shape and smile. For the sake of vanity. Don't want no sunk-in cheeks. Is it a bottom tooth? They might change the way you hold your mouth when it's at rest. Just things to consider!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join