It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea attempts but fails to launch missile

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: carewemust

Why not? They work and are fairly bulletproof. All they really need is an INS system to navigate with. They're also more resistant to EMP like effects.

OK. That makes sense. What part of an older technology launch system would be most subject to jamming/sabotage, and what would be the preferred method for doing this, from another location...like from one of our Top Secret satellites?

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Depends on the sophistication level. Probably kinetic impact or DEW though.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Your thoughts on cyber warfare, specifically pertaining to NK? I'm not so sure I buy the theory that the U.S. sabotaged this test via a virus/cyber warfare etc. In my mind, their tech is too old for that, but what do I know.. What do you know?

edit on 16-4-2017 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 12:02 AM
link   

The latest missile blew up 4 to 5 seconds after launch, according to one report I've read.

But I have not heard whether the missile was a liquid or solid fueled.

If liquid, interruption of the fuel feed, at the valving or cryoturbo pump could be influenced by either computer code (if computer-controlled), or by mechanical failure.

If the missile was a solid fueled motor, other than a fault in the fuel grain itself (not really possible to cause after the grain is poured), the only way to destroy the missile "externally" would be to trigger a premature ignition of a second stage motor.
edit on 17-4-2017 by Bhadhidar because: It's late, eyes tired

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

My money is on a simple failure. The US and Russia have been launching them for how long now, and still see them blow up.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Wookiep

My money is on a simple failure. The US and Russia have been launching them for how long now, and still see them blow up.

I would tend to agree.

Unfortunately, if it was a simple failure, there is little to dissuade Jong Un from continuing NK's development program, and thus little to convince him to accede to pressure from China and/or the US.

The ticking time bomb just gets kicked further down the timeline

Meanwhile, Kim's nuke program goes on unabated.
edit on 17-4-2017 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

Now THERE I'll almost guarantee we've messed with them. They've had a couple really convenient accidents that wiped out a number of important scientists or nuclear materials.

The timing on them was amazing.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Yes, but when you build a better mousetrap, the mice that survive often get smarter,

And more cautious.

Especially if the "cheese" is tasty enough to encourage the risk.

I understand the Kim's newest nuke facilities are even deeper underground.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 12:44 AM
link   

They do, but there are still ways to get to them. The accidents in question knocked them back a good bit too.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 01:00 AM
link   

As I have said before, and you have commented in response (your knowledge of things military is always awe-inspiring! Zaps you must know that you are one of ATS's greatest assets), it is less what Kim might develop in the future than what he has available to him now;

And how he might deploy those items should he feel himself untenably threatened.

A badger is most vicious and dangerous when cornered.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Last month was a failure that was eerily similar to this month's failure.
www.foxnews.com...

Two of the same in less than 30 days. Coincidence?

If the same personnel presided over both, I wonder if they'll get a third chance.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Guys guys guys please calm down, NK were testing their mega short range missile..nothing in this story.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 01:09 AM
link   

If it's done right, it's a beautiful thing to watch though, and they never realize you've done anything. That's one reason so many successful and semi successful tests have occurred.

But yes, if they feel cornered that's a bad thing. And if we are messing with them we have to be extremely careful.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 01:14 AM
link   

If the problem was a void in the solid fuel grain, that is hard to work out.

Chemistry, production, handling, even temperatures at launch can all play a role.

If the missile was liquid fueled, there are even more factors to consider.

Similar failures can have similar causes, and vastly different causes can often cause very similar failures.

The best you can do is learn all you can from the debris.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 01:14 AM
link   

If they were testing a design change or new design, sure. There was an aircraft tested years ago, where the company tried something ingenious with the exhaust. If it had worked, it would have radically altered several programs. It failed pretty spectacularly.

Fast forward 5 or 10 years. Same company had a new aircraft coming out. They had spent years refining that exhaust design and were certain they had solved the problem. One day their test aircraft took off in front of all kinds of important people that would ok production. They all stood there watching as the aircraft came within a couple feet of crashing.

Pure coincidence.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 03:09 AM
link   

It looks like the US and South Korea are betting that North Korea will keep trying to launch a missile until it can "get it right" consistently. A THADD missile defense system is being rushed to completion now.

""The US and South Korea have agreed to the early activation of a defence system designed to shoot down North Korean missiles, according to South Korea's Yonhap news agency.

The decision to activate the Terminal High Altitude Area Defence (THAAD) system reportedly came during talks between the acting South Korean President Hwang Kyo Ahn and Mike Pence, as the US Vice President warned North Korea that the "era of strategic patience is over"."

Full Story: www.independent.co.uk...

I'm starting to really like the Independent.co.uk publication. They often get important U.S.-related info published before our own media does.

(post by Miracula2 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Has anyone considered the possibility that the test might have been successful? That the USA military might have decided to lie and say it failed to keep people from panicking?

Do we have confirmation from any non-US-government source?

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: bloodymarvelous

The South Korean press reported it before anyone.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join