It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Little Known Movie Gems

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I'm a bit tired of all the political rants and have been looking for a good movie to watch tonight. It got me thinking that I rarely like Hollywood movies anymore, with the exception of comic book/action movies I don't see much coming from there that entertains me.

With those points in mind, I'm looking for suggestions for movies to watch that I may not have heard of, but you found entertaining. (Also, if you know if it is available on Netflix or somewhere on-line that'd be great too.)

Here's an example of a movie I very much enjoyed but that you may not have heard about:

Drained

This is a Brazilian movie and so, if you don't speak Portuguese, then you'll need to read subtitles. It is a farcical movie about obsession. It is brilliantly written and has great acting. It also is quintessentially Brazilian. If you are open minded and in a silly mood, this is a 5 star gem.

Another one I like has a different take on the whole alien hypothesis. Has some occult and cultic themes too. Pretty good acting and decent cgi for an independent movie.

MIdnight Special

edit on 15-4-2017 by TobyFlenderson because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

This was actually pretty good.

Right at Your Door

A dirty bomb goes off in Los Angeles, jamming freeways and spreading a toxic cloud.

www.imdb.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

If you like Denzel:

Déjà vu:
Great movie. Takes a bit to figure out what is going on, but once you get it, it's a fantastic film. On Netflix.

Out of Time:
Another little known gem with Denzel Washington. Great action film with Denzel as a Police Chief who has a few things to hide. On Netflix.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I seen Midnight special and the ending made zero sense to me. it's like one of them movies that they must be running out of funds and make some rush nonsense ending. B movie at best, hardly a "gem".
edit on 4 15 2017 by Naturallywired because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   
This is a little known movie, and I thought it was pretty good.

The Man from Earth

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Naturallywired

On one level I agree with you. It certainly was a B movie in that it wasn't funded by the big studios. I think the meaning was pretty clear though, if not ham handed. I gave up judging movies or books by their ending some time ago as most endings suck, even in great books, like Moby Dick.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   

I don't know how well known or unknown it is but John Carpenters "In The Mouth of Madness" is freaking awesome.

I made my girlfriend watch it with me and she said it was stupid. Oh well to each his/her own but I think it's a great movie.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Starbuck799

Thanks, haven't seen them. I love his movie "Fallen."

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: jafo1973

Already saw it, years ago. Might give it another watch. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Black_Fox
I have seen this movie! It is quite the interesting tale. It seems more of a philosophy tract than anything, something to make you think. I rather like how he answers the detraction against his memory with (paraphrased): "do you remember your life a thousand years ago?" And he is right, someone so old would likely not have perfect recall, it would be information overload!

My contribution to the thread shall be ARQ. It is a low(er) budget movie about time travel and a dystopian war of resistance fighters versus a totalitarian government. The time travel mechanism is quite clever!

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson
a reply to: Starbuck799

Thanks, haven't seen them. I love his movie "Fallen."

If you are going to watch one of the Denzel films tonight, watch "Out Of Time" first. It's the better of the two. But just so you know, Out Of Time is an action film, while "Déjà vu" is more Science Fictiony.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I suggest Spectral.

If you haven't seen it do so.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Children of Men is also a good lesser known movie.

The premise is all all women become infertile, and the youngest person is only 18.

The world goes into chaos because of it.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Have you seen

Take shelter

It's the same director and actor that are in midnight special. Good film.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Will have to think about this a while but off the top off my dusty shelf.

Pontypool

Nightwatch

Rabbit-proof Fence

The Devil's Backbone

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Children of Men is also a good lesser known movie.

I love that movie. Truly one of my favorites along with Gattaca.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Black_Fox

It's like Dinner with Andre meets the Hateful Eight.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
One of my favorite movies. Must see the deleted scenes to fully appreciate the flick.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Not sure if this is little known but it is a gem.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
One of my favorite movies. Must see the deleted scenes to fully appreciate the flick.
Yea K-pax was good. R.I.P. Kevin Spacey

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join